This is driving me nuts [KDB: enter: panic]

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, we have no recorded instance of anyone using those Crucial DIMMS and running into any problems with quality or compatibility.
Nitpick: Occasionally, some people have trouble with them and/or their motherboard and/or their CPU. It's always been with combinations that are known to work, so they're just cases of defective hardware.

AvalonUser

Dabbler
So I got the new DIMMs today and while the motherboard boots up fine FreeNAS is still giving me the same error. Is there a log file I can upload for a more in depth diagnosis?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I'm not sure what the problem could be. Have you tried completely reinstalling the operating system? If you had a corrupted OS, you could have this panic.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I would certainly flash the latest BIOS. However, if that were the case, I feel like we would have heard of more users with this problem on this motherboard.

You may have to return the motherboard, it may be defective.

AvalonUser

Dabbler
This is turning into one hell of an adventure. Does Supermicro typically replace products quickly or is this adventure going to continue for a few more week^

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Silly question: Do you have only the 24 pin motherboard connector plugged in? The board has an ATX12V connector, too, but it's strictly an alternative to the main supply. I have no idea what kind of issues it would cause, but, to be honest, it sounds like an unlikely culprit.

How do other OSes behave?

If a BIOS update and default settings don't fix things, it really sounds like a bad board (probably a bad CPU).

AvalonUser

Dabbler
I don't see an alternative connector on the board (unless you're talking about the floppy connector look alike next to the 24 pin connector?)

As for other OSes they work fine. I haven't tried Windows server on it but Linux Mint booted up just fine.

AvalonUser

Dabbler
Holy shit it worked. I tried booting from the IPMI console and the kernel didn't panic. Has this ever happened before?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Holy shit it worked. I tried booting from the IPMI console and the kernel didn't panic. Has this ever happened before?
Did you change anything?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

AvalonUser

Dabbler
OK so the set up works from IPMI but the OS itself still crashes. I guess I still have to phone Supermicro after all.

Edit: I've figured it out, the USB keyboard I had plugged in was causing the system to crash. I can't believe this whole thing was resolved with something so simple.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I think it's time someone went over FreeBSD's USB HID stack. It's the second time this month someone has trouble with USB keyboards, real or virtual.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Wait.

Let me get this straight, just so we have it in plain English on the forums.

You attempted to install our FreeBSD-based appliance, FreeNAS, on one of our recommended SuperMicro models, and you had perfectly normal devices, like keyboards, and stuff, plugged in. You received the dreaded

Kernel: KDB: enter

panic message. You have determined that the operating systems boots, 100% of the time, when your USB keyboard is not plugged in, and does not boot, 100% of the time, when it *is* plugged in. Therefore, the presence of the USB keyboard is the problem with the early boot sequence.

This is the statement you are making?

I am not doubting you, I just want to make sure I am following the conversation correctly, and putting it very clearly to those that might come after searching for this kernel panic.

If that is correct, please let us know the exact make and model of the keyboard. If you are inclined to do more experimentation, could you trying plugging the keyboard into other ports? Does it do it only on USB 2.0 ports? Only on 3.0 ports? Only on the one port that you happened ot have it plugged into? Does it do it when it is the ONLY device plugged into USB ports? etc? Can you try it with a different USB keyboard? Can you try it, perhaps, with a wireless mouse or other USB device?

I'd like to diagnose exactly what's causing the problem here to find out if it is an electrical problem, or actually some kind of problem with core BSD functionalities like devd.