Tech Roundup & Last Day to Save 10% on a FreeNAS Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy

TrueNAS Marketing Team
iXsystems
Howdy guys, we've rounded up a list of hardware and tech components you may find useful. Cyber Monday is a great day to grab some hard drives, replacement components, or new hardware for your next FreeNAS build and we hope you find this guidance helpful.

Please consider supporting the FreeNAS Project project by clicking on one of our Amazon links before purchasing *anything on Amazon, even if you don't end up purchasing that product.

ECC Memory
FreeNAS requires at least 8GB of RAM to take advantage of all the great features offered by ZFS. We also strongly recommend using ECC RAM to help prevent errors.

Hard Drives
Your data is only as good as your hard drives. Disk failures can and do happen so make sure you have enough redundancy and a spare drive to swap in.

Solid State Drives
By leveraging a read/write cache to optimize memory, you can achieve a significant performance boost for your storage.

Motherboards
The motherboard lies at the heart of your FreeNAS system. Choose reliable hardware to keep your data safe and online.

Networking
Upgrade your networking hardware for more bandwidth & faster access to your files.

Computer Cases
Whether you’re building a new system or planning your next one, get some ideas from this list of computer cases.

MiniITX
MicroATX
Medium ATX
Power Supplies
An energy-efficient power supply can save you money on electricity and reduce cooling costs over time.

USB Drives
These portable drives are great for everything from installing FreeNAS to storing and transferring files on an easy-to-carry device.

Computer Monitor
Watch your favorite TV shows or movies from the Plex plugin on a bigger, brighter screen.

Accessories
A miscellaneous collection of useful tech gadgets

FreeNAS Mini
FreeNAS Mini XL
FreeNAS Upgrades

Sakuru

Guru

tc60045

Dabbler
No SAS drives :(

GWasp

Dabbler
Are the components above meant to be time limited Cyber Monday deals?

I'm in the market for some 4TB drives (ref my will it FreeNAS thread) but looking at the links above implies these are not part of any Cyber Monday special pricing meaning I'm expecting to be able to get them at that price after today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Doesn't appear that way to me. The 4TB Seagates are a good deal, but they've been at that price for a while. Looks like the 4TB IronWolf is available at the same price now.

Twainer

Cadet
The 3TB Western Digital Reds were $97. 59 all last week. I thought I ordered two of 'em on black Friday but just got shipping note that shows only paid for one. Now I need to spend an extra $10 for the 2nd. I haven't seen any decent Christmas deals so far this year on computer stuff.

Jeremy

TrueNAS Marketing Team
iXsystems

I'm in the market for some 4TB drives (ref my will it FreeNAS thread) but looking at the links above implies these are not part of any Cyber Monday special pricing meaning I'm expecting to be able to get them at that price after today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only the FreeNAS Mini is an actual 'Cyber Monday' deal. I'll change the title of the thread.

omcn7

Dabbler
Sadly I made my purchases before I saw this post. I would have liked to support FreeNAS by using their links. Oh well I used amazon smile which donated to EFF.org (which is darn important into today's political climate). ** slightly off topic there

re: black friday and cyber monday "deals"
I have been watch prices very closely to add to my zpools. The best "deal" was on samsung SSD 1TB 850 EVO. The best price was on B&H photo (outside NY). I saved on shipping and no tax. I also get a code for some game I will likely never play. However. The price rose on the 850 over the last 6 months then suddenly dropped to give a $500 product a $250 price tag. It went up.. then "dropped" so I guess there was a savings there, sort of.

There was an avg of 25% savings on other SSDs ADATA and others. But again there was a price hike then a sudden "deal" on black friday. Sadly WD red NAS drives did not see a decrease in price by more then $10 or so. I ended up with a desktop HDD from seagate. Although at $99 for 4TB is is not a bad deal. It was not a mind blowing one considering trends in the past 4 months.

I hope folks find this helpful, we are all looking to add to our zpools I suspect. :)

Sakuru

Guru
The Intel P3700 is the best, but fairly expensive. The Intel 750 has lower durability, but would be fine for a lower use box.

Quoting from jgreco's post:
About the best all-around SSD you can get for SLOG is the Intel DC P3700, an NVMe based SSD with great endurance characteristics. A consumer-grade version, the Intel 750, retains the power loss protection and general speed and low latency while offering reduced endurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.