New Supermicro based build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Seasonic Flagship PRIME TITANIUM 650 SSR-650TD Active PFC 80 PLUS Titanium 650W ATX 12V 135mm Fluid Dynamic Bearing Fan ...
Massive overkill for such a small chassis. Something along the lines of a G-450 would be better.

I determine SLOG needed, probably get a m.2 nvme
There are no appropriate SSDs in the M.2 form factor. For testing and playing around, disabling sync writes should be fine.

Consider a single SSD for the boot device.

Stux

MVP
I just built the same system.

I used a Corsair RM550x as the PSU.

My boot (into ESXi) is a Samsung 960 Evo 250GB. I can direct pass through the SATA controller and the SLOG drive.

@Ericloewe is right, there are no NVMe M2 with PLP at the moment, but they are coming, but they will be 22110 form factor and will not fit the x10sdv-tln4f.

As such I went with an AIC SSD. For reasons I went with a P3700 400GB, but the P3600 would be more appropriate.

Really only need that for a VM work load.

Journer

Dabbler
I just built the same system.

I used a Corsair RM550x as the PSU.

My boot (into ESXi) is a Samsung 960 Evo 250GB. I can direct pass through the SATA controller and the SLOG drive.

@Ericloewe is right, there are no NVMe M2 with PLP at the moment, but they are coming, but they will be 22110 form factor and will not fit the x10sdv-tln4f.

As such I went with an AIC SSD. For reasons I went with a P3700 400GB, but the P3600 would be more appropriate.

Really only need that for a VM work load.

Thanks!

What RAM did you chose? Trying to get something on Supermicro QVL and all I could find was the Samsung I mentioned.

Journer

Dabbler
Massive overkill for such a small chassis. Something along the lines of a G-450 would be better.

There are no appropriate SSDs in the M.2 form factor. For testing and playing around, disabling sync writes should be fine.

Consider a single SSD for the boot device.
Thanks. I read in one of the guides SSD was overkill and all that was really needed was just a thumb drive to boot into memory?

Stux

MVP
Thanks!

What RAM did you chose? Trying to get something on Supermicro QVL and all I could find was the Samsung I mentioned.

I used Crucial... aka Micron.

Stux

MVP
If you enter your motherboard on Crucial.com, they guarantee compatibility.

FWIW, this is what I bought from a local supplier:
1 x Crucial 32GB (2x16GB) PC4-19200 (2400MHz) DDR4 ECC Registered RAM.

This was actually pulled out of my larger Primary system (see signature) when I upgraded that to 128GB.

I was not so fussed about QVLs, as Crucial is good RAM, and if it wasn't compatible, I had every intention of sending it back.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I read in one of the guides SSD was overkill and all that was really needed was just a thumb drive to boot into memory?
FreeNAS hasn't run from a RAMdisk in several years now. It's important to take old guides with a grain of salt.

As for overkill, yes, it's still overkill - but USB flash drives are underkill or just-just-just-just-just-barelykill at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.