KDB: Enter: Panic when trying to import ZFS volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

biffman

Cadet
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping you can help. I've used these forums for almost all of my FreeNAS questions. I very much appreciate your replies to others' problems. This is my first post and I am a relative noob--sorry everyone.

I upgraded to FreeNAS 11 recently and the system seemed to be working fine. After a couple weeks though, the system wouldn't boot--it would get hung up and result in being frozen at KDB: Enter: Panic. So I did a fresh install of FreeNAS 11, and it starts fine.

However, when I go to import volume, I see my ZFS pool in step 1 (it's not encrypted), but when I proceed to step 2, the system fails--giving me the same "KDB: Enter: Panic" error. I get the same error when I run the zpool import -f command. System has error KDB: enter: panic.

I've tested my RAM with Memtest86--no errors. I also tried to see (probably like a noob) if it was one of the drives. I unplugged one at a time, resetting system each time, and then tried to import volume each time. Same error every time with just three of the four drives connected.

Here are my system specs:
AsRock Z170 motherboard
Intel Core i3-6100 (3.7GHz)
8GB Ram -PC4-19200 DDR4 XMP 2400MHz (G Skill Intl)
4 HDD - WD Green (I know, I know--probably my first mistake), setup: RAIDz2

Please tell me there is a way to save this data.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

biffman

Cadet

Attachments

• 20171124_163227(1).jpg
    20171124_163227(1).jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 403

biffman

Cadet
Also, if it helps anyone to know what the problem is, I tried to install FreeNAS 9.10 to see if that helped, but the install failed (with the same type of error). I'm hoping that means it might be my MB or something else hardware-related. Problem is, I don't have a second system to test things.

Alternative question if nobody has ideas about my original query: Is there a way to pull the four ZFS drives and test them on a Mac or PC? Wondering about just getting at my data (assuming I can) and transferring if possible.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is there a way to pull the four ZFS drives and test them on a Mac or PC?
Probably not on a Mac, as I'm not aware of any Mac models with four SATA ports to let you attach all the drives to import the pool. On a PC, if it's running Linux, sure--I understand Ubuntu has good ZFS support, so importing the pool shouldn't be a problem.

biffman

Cadet
On a PC, if it's running Linux, sure--I understand Ubuntu has good ZFS support, so importing the pool shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks danb. Assuming it's a problem with the pool, wouldn't I run into the same problem with import on Linux?

biffman

Cadet
Update: I've been running the command (thanks to a recommendation from rs225)
Code:
 zpool import -f -F -X -o readonly=on zpoolname 
. It has been running for days. I am getting errors, but it seems to be doing something. I wish there was a way to see what is going on or know what is happening--sad noob world.

See screenshot.

Attachments

• scrnshot2.jpg
    scrnshot2.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 357

usafitz

Cadet
Any answers to this? BTW, I have the same error... was able to test configurations on several systems with different RAM, and processors. It looks like it's the pool. It's always at the same point where I import a volume. Step 2 leads to the crash which stays persistent after reboot. I haven't tried Ubuntu yet, but that's where I'm going next.

Thoughts?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Don't resurrect vaguely-related threads, please. Start a new thread and explain your problem in detail, as the forum rules ask you to.

Status
Not open for further replies.