i'm at the end of my wits

pipewelder1

Cadet
ok guys, i need to serious help. I had a fully functional freenas 9.2 sever. it is on a home network. I have 2 windows 7 computers and 1 running mint and the other ubuntu. all my windows shares and linux shares were easy to use with no password required. I jumped on the bandwagon of upgrading the truenas core. I couldn't access any of my shares because I now needed users. I tried countless hours to configure users and permissions and such. I have followed this message board and tried youtube. no luck on any of that. I have even tried to downgrade back to 9.2 hoping that would just put it back to the way it was before this rabbit trail. I really just need to access my server so i can watch my movies again and add pictures of my kids. I don't care which version I end up on. I just want it to work like before. any help would be great

Glorious1

Guru
You should definitely work on getting Core to work, not reverting to 9.2. As for configuring users and permissions, you might get more feedback if you take one user you've attempted to set up, and provide all the user, share and dataset details so people can get an idea what might be wrong. Also provide in detail what happens when you try to log in.

pschatz100

Guru
Also, please provide a description of your system and the version of TrueNAS you are running. It is not possible to offer much help without knowing what your setup is.

joeschmuck

Old Man
If you upgraded your ZFS pools, you will not be able to roll back to the earlier version. If you did not do that update and you have a backup of your configuration file from FreeNAS 9.2, you can just rebuild the boot drive and restore the configuration file and you should be all set.

I understand you about the user accounts and all, drives me nuts at times too. But if you need to stick with TrueNAS Core, it is very stable and it will take a bit of getting use to, there is a learning curve.

Best of luck to you.

pipewelder1

Cadet
Ill try to reinstall core and reset up users. I'll post when i get that back up running

system:
cpu -AMD A4-6300 3.7 GHz Dual-Core Processor
motherboard-MSI A78M-E35 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard
memory-Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory
storage x4 in raid Z- Seagate BarraCuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
case- NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case
PS- Corsair CX430 430 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

pipewelder1

Cadet
ok guys. I got core reinstalled. When I tried to do my shares it shows ACL present. I've tried to strip all the ACL. but I can't seem to. edit permissions is greyed out. windows as well won't even access the server. any idea what I can do?

Attachments

• truenas acl.jpg
    truenas acl.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 82
  • truenas greyed out .jpg
    truenas greyed out .jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 58
  • windows share.jpg
    windows share.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 67

pipewelder1

Cadet
guys I really am trying to figure this out. I really could use some help cause I need to access this data. I've tried setting up users for the 4 computers I have( 2- windows 7, a mint, and a ubuntu) right now I'm trying to set up my movies share. I created a group called family. I think my main problem is the acl that shows up at my pool level. I've tried to edit permissions but its greyed out. I know root can't edit that in core. It was setup in an earlier version. I tried to getfacl but it says its not there. I'm really at a loss on where to go from here but I can't just wipe the pool and start over as it contains info I can't lose

Attachments

• getfacl.jpg
    getfacl.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 60
  • laptop permissions.jpg
    laptop permissions.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 70
  • group truenas.jpg
    group truenas.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 60
  • truenas pool permissions.jpg
    truenas pool permissions.jpg