How to set up sharing Q with lots of pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

steinklatre

Cadet
First off I want you guys to know I have spent countless hours reading and failing at setting up before posting!

Setup:

Dell Optiplex GX620 Pentium 4 3.00GHz with 2023MB and two HD's one 640MB and 1TB

Now this is what I want to do and I thought it would be easy!

Untitled.jpg

Here is some pictures of my set up:

Filesetup.JPG ZFS.JPG

Basically I need help configuring this setup. I have tried so many different things my heads spinning! I had two shares the kids and parents but the kids could access the parents folder and stuff.

Eventually I would like to access this NAS from the WWW but that is for another day!

Thanks in advance everyone.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You need some way to identify users. That is usually done by having usernames and making people log in. You can then limit access by usernames or groups.

For example, if you have "bob" and "mary" as users and they're members of group "parents", then you set up a "grownups" share under CIFS shares with

Code:
valid groups = parents

in the Auxiliary Parameters box and that'll only be available to users who are members of the "parents" group. You could also skip the group and just do

Code:
valid users = bob mary

but that's slightly less powerful; the group abstraction mechanism explains the intention better.

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
For starters uncheck read/write/execute on "other" on both shares. Then make two groups, Parents and All, and add everyone to "All" and just the parents to "Parents". Then make the Everyone share owned by nobody/All and Parents share owned by nobody/Parents.

That should at least give you the permissions you want.

steinklatre

Cadet
Ok so I think I followed the directions to a T I just put Gundersen - as the parents and kids as the two boys (thinking I would log them in with the same credentials).

I get stuck at the windows password now.

Stuck.jpg - Its good if I add the photos

What else am I missing here?

Thanks again! :confused:

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
If you did it with users instead of groups, my advice of making the owner 'nobody' would lead to not being able to access the share. Instead make the owners those users you made. The problem with your way is parents will have to use the kids' login to access the kids share, instead of being able to access both with one login as under the groups-based model. You're using inherit permissions right? Docs here: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Windows_(CIFS)_Shares

Edit: Additionally, using local user login you need to actually use the login of the FreeNAS users you made, you can't just use a windows user login.

Status
Not open for further replies.