I can install and boot Truenas Scale on one pc and not another.

DarkSky545

Cadet
Hi and first of all happy new year.

I know the title doesn't mean anything but thats the best i can find.
I'm sorry if my english is bad but its not my native language.

This story involve 2 pc :

First one (the one i want to use truenas Scale on):
Its an ASUS K31DA-FR038T an old model that isn't sold anymore
I've tried to find the motherboard model but I couldn't

AMD A4-6210
8GB GDDR3 SODIMM 1600Mhz (1x8)
2 TB HDD TOSHIBA 7200RPM
128GB SSD Silicon Power A55
I plug the pc via 1GB ethernet port to my router

PC number two :
MSI B550 Tomahawk
AMD Ryzen 5 5600g
16GB GDDR4 3600Mhz (2x8)
1TB samsung evo nvme
Also plugged to my router via ethernet

I created a bootable usb with version 22.12.0, I did it two time with 2 completely different usb key (in size and brand) on the old pc and when booting on it I kept receiving the same error message :

error: bad shim signature.
error: you need to load the kernel first.

The ssd where I want to install truenas scale on is connected to my pc via a sata to usb 3.0 cable so I tried with my most recent PC (number 2) and I could install on the correct drive so I did successfully.
I tried to boot on the ssd and it worked so I pluged it back to pc number one but once there in the bios even though I tried many time I couldnn't boot on the ssd. I tried updating the bios the the most recent version but it didn't work.
I tried plugin the ssd directly to sata instead on my ssd . I also tried to plug the sata to usb to a 3.1 port and 3.0 port and a 2.0 port but didn't change. Trying to put it on first boot priority brings me back to the bios menu and force booting it does the same.
It works on my new pc but I want to use it on the old one so if you could help me i'll be really pleased.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and have a good day.

Davvo

MVP

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'm having the same issue

Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Please take a few moments to review the Forum Rules, conveniently linked at the top of every page in red, and pay particular attention to the section on how to formulate a useful problem report, especially including a detailed description of your hardware. PC's and their boot and BIOS systems vary widely, and without further information, you've basically given no one anything to work with, so the responses will tend to be random guesses rather than anything useful.

Davvo

MVP