TrueNAS12 core extremely slow installation and weird operation

tomas01

Cadet
Hello,
I`ve decided to do fresh install of TN12 and not to upgrade (want to keep my old working FN11.3 installation on USB just for sure).
My HW is HP Microserver gen8 (Celeron G1610T, RAM 16GB-ECC, HDD > 4x4TB WD-RED + 1x 5TB Seagate - stand alone non necessary data).
I`ve disconnected all my HDDs and old USB key with FN11.3 and tried fresh installation on new USB key 32GB Kingston Datatraveler micro 3.1.
I wanted to install TN12 on 2xUSB (sane keys), keys have been inserted in USB3 ports but installation failed same experience on on USB2 ports (back side of microserver), after that I just plug it in to internal USB port (only 1 USB key) and was able to install TN12 but installation process was extremely slow (3,5hours). As an installation media I used USB key and also microSD card (both in failed installation process and "successful" install)
During the 1st boot there were some errors I was not able to get but one was repetitive "Failed to run middleware call. Daemon not running?", when boot finished I tried to login with username root but did not get prompt for password and was able to write commands (just tried ping > no response); GUI was unreachable from any PC (same local network) but TN12 IP was pingable (I have set DHCP lease based on mac address).
I have question if USB keys are not supported for TrueNAS12 core installation or just not recommended? I want to install it on USB key because I do not have no free sata port for OS (all 5 are occupied) > I know I can buy pcie controller, but do not want to (for my personal use is USB key is OK for OS no need to extra long lifepsan).
Is it wrong USB key for this installation or is my HW somehow old and not able to correctly work with TN12 on USB, Is anybody experiencing similar issues?
Any advices appreciate.
Thanks

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Its not particularly recommended, due to odd issues like this, however it should still work more or less. Are you seeing any other error messages at bootup? If you can get into a console login, can you run 'cat /var/log/messages' and look for any USB / disk timeout issues?