Unable to launch the TrueNas installer from a USB drive

Paresseux121

Cadet
Hello,
My problem seems quite special.
I want to install TrueNas on a small computer (which previously worked very well on openmediavault). I switch to TrueNas to have more functionality

Specs:
Motherboard: Packard Bell imedia S1360
CPU : AMD E-300 @ 1.30 GHz
RAM quantity: 4go
Hard drives: 0- Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00, 80go which I want to use for the system
1- SeaGate IronWolf ST2000VN004-2E4164, 2TB that I want to use to store my data

When I launch the installation of FreeNas from a USB key and that I choose option 1 a few lines scroll on the screen then the pc restarts (which is not normal I think).
This is a picture of those lines before the restart :
img_0974-jpg.51826
(sorry the picture is reversed i don't understand why)

So when my pc restarts it's on openmediavault (which I want to delete and replace with TrueNas), and if on restart I choose to start again on the USB key from the bios I have a black screen with a dash (_) at the top left of the screen. I have to turn off my pc manually otherwise it stays like that indefinitely. Then if I restart my PC on the TrueNas installer I still get the same error.

I tried :
-To flash the TrueNas iso on 3 different USB keys
-To flash the iso of TrueNas with Rufus and Balena Etcher
-Several versions of TrueNas, there isn't one that works -_- But still I have the impression that the old versions of Freenas which use grub work, but I'm not interested in using old Freenas.

I found, unless I am mistaken, no trace of this bug on the internet.

Thank you very much for your help !

Attachments

• IMG_0974.JPG
    IMG_0974.JPG
    280.7 KB · Views: 1,134

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Your system does not meet the minimum hardware requirements for TrueNAS -- specifically, TrueNAS has a minimum memory requirement of 8GB. This is not a suggested memory amount. TrueNAS is based on ZFS which uses substantial amounts of memory above and beyond many other systems, and it is not particularly well suited towards small systems.

Additionally, the AMD APU platforms suffer various issues and many of those boards come with liabilities such as Realtek ethernet controllers. You may wish to review the hardware recommendations available in the resources section on this forum to help you pick a suitable system to host your NAS.

Paresseux121

Cadet
Hello, Thank you for your reply.

Indeed I thought that 8go was only an optional indication, and that everything would work. Especially since I tested TrueNas on Virtualbox with 2go and it worked very well!

I will test with more RAM, and if my problem persists then I will have to change hardware.

Thank you for these indications!