TrueNas installer can't boot

killermantv

Cadet
Hello,

Recently i wanted to switch to TrueNas but the installer wont boot with the following error:
Code:
Mounting from cd9660:iso9660/TRUENAS failed with error 2; retrying for 180 more seconds

I am booting with latest ventoy on 30GB kingston usb, i tried to use different usb too but it had the same error.
So far i tried to boot with uefi and legacy, tried to boot from usb 2 instead of usb 3 and right after failed boot i tried to boot to freenas if that works and i actually booted.

My hardware is
Asus P8H77-V motherboard with latest 1905 bios
cpu is i5-3350P ivy bridge
4x4 ddr3 populating all ram slots
full lshw txt output is in attachments

IMG_20201124_214250.jpg

Attachments

• carmen.txt
    24.8 KB · Views: 233

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
How did you cerate the USB stick? "dd" on Linux, or Rufus or some other tool on Windows?

killermantv

Cadet
How did you cerate the USB stick? "dd" on Linux, or Rufus or some other tool on Windows?
I was using ventoy which is basically much easier multiboot software where you can change iso's you want anytime without changing any config or reformatting it.
And so i tried with rufus on some old usb and that worked.

LarsR

Guru
I had the same Issue with one of my USB sticks. I tried Rufus and Edger to create the boot stick but the result was the same as @killermantv.
In the end i just bought a new random 16gb stick that works perfectly. Seems not all USB sticks can be made bootable...

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
I was using ventoy which is basically much easier multiboot software where you can change iso's you want anytime without changing any config or reformatting it.
And so i tried with rufus on some old usb and that worked.

Glad it worked with Rufus. For future note, make sure to always use "dd" mode on Rufus when asked, that tends to work better than ISO mode.