Install/Boot Freezing

Ooonz

Cadet
Hello, I have been trying to install the latest version of TrueNAS for some time now. I am using 64GB USB as my boot device for the time being, as this is a temporary project for school. However, it keeps freezing on the machine that I want to run it on. I have tried FreeNAS-11.1-RELEASE.iso, FreeNAS-11.2-U7.iso, FreeNAS-11.3-U5.iso, and TrueNAS-12.0-U2.iso and none of them will work on the machine that I want to run it on. They all work on my personal laptop and desktop though. I have tried Rufus, Etcher, and Win32DiskImager to create the install media. I have used the installer to create a boot device on a different machine and then tried running the boot device on the intended machine and it still freezes in the same spot as the installer. The specs of the intended machine are 10GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM, AMD A6-3600 APU, and aahd3-hb motherboard. I have a 4TB hard drive that has not been installed yet because I can not get TrueNAS to boot. I would appreciate any help getting this to work. I have attached an image showing where it freezes (same spot for installer and boot device once it has been installed).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 437
Make sure your in a usb2 port. Some of these older machines I've had trouble booting USB, not so much in BSD, but in Linux. Even if the disk is USB3 try it in USB2.

The other thing to try is a different USB or even better any old HDD you might have. SSD is the preferrred install target these days, but an old platter drive will suffice as well..

Ooonz

Cadet
Make sure your in a usb2 port. Some of these older machines I've had trouble booting USB, not so much in BSD, but in Linux. Even if the disk is USB3 try it in USB2.

The other thing to try is a different USB or even better any old HDD you might have. SSD is the preferrred install target these days, but an old platter drive will suffice as well..
Hi John, thanks for the reply. I tried putting the USB into a USB2 port and it still froze. I found a different USB stick that is USB2 but it only has a capacity of 4GB, so I could not install the OS to it (8GB required). However, I did flash the installer to it and try running that but it still freezes as well. Any other ideas or help would be great.

Ooonz

Cadet
Hi John, thanks for the reply. I tried putting the USB into a USB2 port and it still froze. I found a different USB stick that is USB2 but it only has a capacity of 4GB, so I could not install the OS to it (8GB required). However, I did flash the installer to it and try running that but it still freezes as well. Any other ideas or help would be great.
I am thinking that it may be because of the motherboard as the last BIOS I can find for it was released in 2012, and the CPU and memory meet the minimum requirements to run TrueNAS.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
What's the hardware in question?

Check the settings in the bios for USB. Make everything as vanilla as possible.

Ooonz

Cadet
Check the settings in the bios for USB. Make everything as vanilla as possible.
Already have. I have not been able to get it to boot in bios mode, only uefi even with all uefi options disabled in motherboard bios. I am going to backup and wipe a small ssd to test as boot device using usb2 drive as the installer. If that does not work then I guess it's a hardware incompatibility somewhere.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Hp aahd3-hb hibiscus motherboard

Don't waste your time. HP's got these locked down where they'll only boot Windows. Other boards have complaints from those trying to install Linux running into similar problems.

Ooonz

Cadet
Don't waste your time. HP's got these locked down where they'll only boot Windows. Other boards have complaints from those trying to install Linux running into similar problems.
Gotcha, thanks for the help. Was unable to find anything about it which is why I made a post.