TrueNas No operating system found error 1962

Hyperbole

Cadet
Hey guys

Just got a Lenovo think center m92 to start into the NAS field. I burned the iso image initially with Rufus. Managed to install truenas fairly easy. But I seem to have an issue on reboot when it shows no operating system found.

I fiddled with the bios, changing boot mode from auto to legacy but it just does the same thing and it won’t even boot into the USB installer. Tried both UEFI and BIOS when installing truenas with no luck. I tried searching but it seems others have better luck than me.

I also tried win32 imager to burn the image to the USB since that seemed to work for others. But not for me. i also tried belena etcher

I’m also installing TrueNas to an SSD.

Any ideas?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
This is a Lenovo specific UEFI issue. I've had similar issues trying to get them to boot non-Windows operating systems.

Can you force the boot to "UEFI Only" and try again? I know on one of mine (Thinkcentre M82) I had to revert back to CSM/BIOS to get it to boot.

Hyperbole

Cadet
The only way to boot to the USB to install TrueNAS is to set boot mode to UEFI in bios (or auto). But when its done installing and i reboot (also removing the USB), it just takes me to the same error page, operating system not found.

Hyperbole

Cadet
Ive tried Turning CSM off, forcing it into UEFI mode. Install TrueNAS with bios and Uefi with no boot success. Ive tried using strictly UEFI and CSM on in BIOS, TrueNAS with bios and uefi settings with no boot success. And when I choose Legacy mode in BIOS, it won't even boot or detect the USB to even install.

razer0r

Cadet
YES, after running against the same wall for a few days and nights, I've stumbled upon the fix... It is Lenovo that has some weird GPT issue but the fix is easy.

install as usual (boot from whatever you get booted), install with bios option (trust me, I`ve tried UEFI too), and when the installation finishes return to shell instead of rebooting.
Run this:
part set -a lenovofix ada0
where ada0 should be the disk you installed to (check your installation just to be sure, at some point it will tell you where it is installing to, in my case that was ada0)

it will reply with
lenovofix set to ada0

now just type
reboot
to reboot your machine and boot from legacy (select legacy only in the bios, that way you do not mix up any boot options)

I've found this by scrolling through any Lenovo boot related bug report, found this:

Last edited by a moderator:

russoleum

Cadet
YES, after running against the same wall for a few days and nights, I've stumbled upon the fix... It is Lenovo that has some weird GPT issue but the fix is easy.

install as usual (boot from whatever you get booted), install with bios option (trust me, I`ve tried UEFI too), and when the installation finishes return to shell instead of rebooting.
Run this:
part set -a lenovofix ada0
where ada0 should be the disk you installed to (check your installation just to be sure, at some point it will tell you where it is installing to, in my case that was ada0)

it will reply with
lenovofix set to ada0

now just type
reboot
to reboot your machine and boot from legacy (select legacy only in the bios, that way you do not mix up any boot options)

I've found this by scrolling through any Lenovo boot related bug report, found this:

Fantastic! This is just what I needed. Thank you! I can confirm that razer0r's fix works.

For anyone else trying this, I think razer0r meant to type:
gpart set -a lenovofix ada0

Also, a bit of background on my setup: I had tried months ago to get this to work - to boot from an ssd. I had given up, and was using a microSD card, which worked fine. This is what was so frustrating - FreeNAS would boot and run from a USB flash drive, but not from a sata ssd. But this week I wanted to add larger drives, so decided to give it another go with booting from the ssd. What luck I found this thread today - two days ago and I would have likely given up again. (I'm going to have to tape this post to the chasis in case I ever have to re-install again).

Setup: Lenovo ideacentre K430: i7-3770, Z75 Express, 12GB rab, Kingston 120GB A400 ssd, 2ea WD Red Plus 4GB, integrated Realtek RTL8111E gigabit nic. TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1 (home use)

Thanks again to razer0r and to everyone that figured this out in the linked resource.

razer0r

Cadet
Fantastic! This is just what I needed. Thank you! I can confirm that razer0r's fix works.

For anyone else trying this, I think razer0r meant to type:
gpart set -a lenovofix ada0

Also, a bit of background on my setup: I had tried months ago to get this to work - to boot from an ssd. I had given up, and was using a microSD card, which worked fine. This is what was so frustrating - FreeNAS would boot and run from a USB flash drive, but not from a sata ssd. But this week I wanted to add larger drives, so decided to give it another go with booting from the ssd. What luck I found this thread today - two days ago and I would have likely given up again. (I'm going to have to tape this post to the chasis in case I ever have to re-install again).

Setup: Lenovo ideacentre K430: i7-3770, Z75 Express, 12GB rab, Kingston 120GB A400 ssd, 2ea WD Red Plus 4GB, integrated Realtek RTL8111E gigabit nic. TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1 (home use)

Thanks again to razer0r and to everyone that figured this out in the linked resource.
Happy to share ;)

sretalla