Not open for further replies.

madaim

Dabbler
Hi friends,

I have dell optiplex computer

i5 processor
8gb ran
3- 1 tb external hard drives.

i was able to install FreeNAS on 8GB usb. now when i try t boot from usb it says "no operating system found".

i did search and found out that i need to change settings in bios to AHCI. but the problem is when i log into my dell computer bios. uner SATA operation there is only two options DISABLED & ATA. i tried both and didnt work. i know my usb flash drive is fine because i tried on other computer and it worked fine.

how to fix this problem?

plz help me

gpsguy

Since you are able to use the boot device in another computer, we know the FreeNAS installation is okay.

"Operating system not found" means that the server doesn't see your boot device. Check the BIOS and ensure that USB is at the top of the boot order.

Sent from my phone

danb35

Hall of Famer
"Operating system not found" means that the server doesn't see your boot device.
...or, possibly, that it doesn't see the boot partition (perhaps it can't handle GPT partition tables).

madaim

Dabbler
@gpsguy
Since you are able to use the boot device in another computer, we know the FreeNAS installation is okay.

"Operating system not found" means that the server doesn't see your boot device. Check the BIOS and ensure that USB is at the top of the boot order.

Sent from my phone

i checked my boot order

1st usb
2nd cd drive
3rd HD

what should i do?:(

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
How did you install FreeNAS onto the USB drive?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
What Optiplex do you have? Way back when, they only supported booting from USB floppies and/or CD-ROM's, but not thumbdrives.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
As a workaround, you might be able to boot from USB if it is the ONLY USB device plugged in. http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19335486/19743216#19743216

Code:
I managed to work around this problem without a PS/2 keyboard.

- Boot up without USB keyboard/mouse, with only USB drive plugged in.  You will get an error (no keyboard) and it will not boot from the USB drive.  I did not have an operating system on the hard drive (n series) so it just sat and waited.
- Plug in the USB keyboard and reboot using Ctrl-Alt-Del.  Now enter the system setup (using F12).
- The USB drive will still be listed as an option in the boot selection menu.  With the keyboard (using Tab and PgUp) place the USB drive first.  Apply, exit and unplug the keyboard again.
- Upon reboot it will now boot from the USB drive.  Once it has started booting from the drive you can plug in the USB keyboard and everything will continue to work as expected.

Hope this helps someone.

Wouter

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
It happened in the 2010 model in the thread I posted. might be worth a shot.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
If you have the option of different USB emulation modes in the BIOS, switch from Auto to Hard Drive. This made booting from USB work on my T110.

I'll assume you're making an informed decision not to use ECC RAM.

ovizii

Patron
I'll assume you're making an informed decision not to use ECC RAM.
Just curious to know where he mentioned his RAM? Or is that implied by the PC he is using?

madaim

Dabbler
As a workaround, you might be able to boot from USB if it is the ONLY USB device plugged in. http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19335486/19743216#19743216

Code:

- Boot up without USB keyboard/mouse, with only USB drive plugged in.  You will get an error (no keyboard) and it will not boot from the USB drive.  I did not have an operating system on the hard drive (n series) so it just sat and waited.
- Plug in the USB keyboard and reboot using Ctrl-Alt-Del.  Now enter the system setup (using F12).
- The USB drive will still be listed as an option in the boot selection menu.  With the keyboard (using Tab and PgUp) place the USB drive first.  Apply, exit and unplug the keyboard again.
- Upon reboot it will now boot from the USB drive.  Once it has started booting from the drive you can plug in the USB keyboard and everything will continue to work as expected.

Hope this helps someone.

Wouter
i tried that too.. pressing

madaim

Dabbler

Code:

Hope this helps someone.

Wouter
i tried that just now and didnt work

madaim

Dabbler
FYI

i was looking into synology nas and friend told me about in Freenas. i know i dont have full compatible system for freenas. i dont mind spending money in Freenas. before i spend my hard earned money into Freenas. i wanted to test on my desktop to see how it works, if i like or not.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
before i spend my hard earned money into Freenas. i wanted to test on my desktop to see how it works, if i like or not.
Absolutely, I went through two experimental builds before ending up with one I'm not embarrassed to put in my signature.

gpsguy

Assuming you have sufficient RAM in your workstation, you could test FreeNAS using a virtualization program. VMware player is free.

gpsguy

I was referring to his desktop (possibly Windows), not the OP's "server". Not knowing what he might have, that's why I used the term "sufficient RAM".

If the OP is unfamiliar with virtulization, it probably would be easier to run something like VMware Player on a desktop computer, rather than setup an ESXi box on his FreeNAS server.

Unfortunately he only has 8GB total, so any VM-based tests might yield questionable results.

Status
Not open for further replies.