Not open for further replies.

madaim

Dabbler
Hi friends,

I have dell optiplex computer

i5 processor
8gb ran
3- 1 tb external hard drives.

i want to use for plex and storage purpose.i have few questions.

1. is it possible to use 3 external 2.0 hard drives instead of internal drives?

2. how does freenas works with plex? any issues?

3. i want raid(backup) for my data but not for plex movies. is it possible to have two different setups ?

please help me friends. thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
Possible to use USB hard drives? Sure. Advisable? Absolutely not. Possible to have two separate pools, one with redundancy and one without? Yes, but RAID is not a backup. Sounds like you need to read the manual and the hardware recommendations threads.

madaim

Dabbler
Possible to use USB hard drives? Sure. Advisable? Absolutely not. Possible to have two separate pools, one with redundancy and one without? Yes, but RAID is not a backup. Sounds like you need to read the manual and the hardware recommendations threads.

what about plex bro?

adrianwi

Guru
I'd suggest working on one issue at a time. Plex is available for most operating systems (including FreeBSD which you can run in a FreeNAS jail) but it's not going to be any use without some storage and some media loaded onto the storage.

Get your storage strategy sorted and then work out the best solution for Plex.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Plex works great on FreeNAS. As @AdrianWilliamson notes, it will work on many other OSs and devices as well, though I wouldn't plan to run it on a low-end standalone NAS if you'll need to transcode anything--that takes some CPU grunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.