Media Storage for Plex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raheel

Dabbler
Hi,

I am still new to FreeNAS, and have a couple of questions:

Question 1: Is it possible to
Set up a 4TB and a 3TB HDD mirrored to each other to store my important documents and files. (I plan on upgrading to RaidZ in the future when I get more HDDs)
Set up plex to point to an external HDD, connected to my network. (I do not care to have redundancy for this data.)

danb35

Hall of Famer
Set up a 4TB and a 3TB HDD mirrored to each other to store my important documents and files.
Yes, but the capacity of this pool would be 3 TB--1 TB of space on the 4 TB disk would be wasted. To upgrade to RAIDZn, you'd need to destroy the pool and rebuild it as RAIDZ.
Set up plex to point to an external HDD, connected to my network.
Probably, but it'd take at least a little bit of fiddling at the command line.

melloa

Wizard
Set up plex to point to an external HDD, connected to my network. (I do not care to have redundancy for this data.)

I assume you want to install Plex on FreeNAS and have your media on an external HD. There are several ways to do that as Plex can read from a SMB share, but I'd say that wouldn't be the best setup for you. You will probably experience streaming gaps and the Plex server will reduce the quality to allow for better streaming.
Mine is on another box and reads my FreeNAS shares no problem. Only had to mount them in my fstab.

Status
Not open for further replies.