NO operating system found

Status
Not open for further replies.

madaim

Dabbler
Assuming you have sufficient RAM in your workstation, you could test FreeNAS using a virtualization program. VMware player is free.

thanks bro......it worked in VMware. but why it didnt work in real environment?

gpsguy

Obviously there were compatibility issues in trying to use your old desktop pc as a server for FreeNAS. With many users using VMware to test FreeNAS, the FreeNAS guide shows how to install FreeNAS on ESXi. While the directions are for ESXi, it could apply to Player and Workstation too.

Unless you are a virtualization expert and have supported hardware, don't use this environment for production use. You won't be able to do some things, like run SMART tests on drives, but you should be able to kick the tires on the product.

If you like it - read the hardware stickies and see what's recommended. If you have still have questions, start a new thread with your proposed equipment list.

Good luck!

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Are you able to boot anything else from USB? Try something like a windows recovery. I'm not sure the issue is specific to freenas.

madaim

Dabbler
Obviously there were compatibility issues in trying to use your old desktop pc as a server for FreeNAS. With many users using VMware to test FreeNAS, the FreeNAS guide shows how to install FreeNAS on ESXi. While the directions are for ESXi, it could apply to Player and Workstation too.

Unless you are a virtualization expert and have supported hardware, don't use this environment for production use. You won't be able to do some things, like run SMART tests on drives, but you should be able to kick the tires on the product.

If you like it - read the hardware stickies and see what's recommended. If you have still have questions, start a new thread with your proposed equipment list.

Good luck!

my friend has spare desktop. dual core processor, 4gb ram, 3 hard drives - 250gb,350gb and 500gb. i am going to try Freenas on it.....

thanks for your all help... you guys are genius.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'd like to again offer the suggestion that the GPT partition table on the boot device in 9.3 is a strong suspect. @madaim, what happens if you try 9.2.1.9?

madaim

Dabbler
I'd like to again offer the suggestion that the GPT partition table on the boot device in 9.3 is a strong suspect. @madaim, what happens if you try 9.2.1.9?

bro ...i just tried 9.2.19 and i was able to boot from usb flash drive but it is stuck on "waiting upto 5 seconds for ixdiagnose to finish......done".

i have attached picture here

thanks for helping me bro....

Attachments

• 1434324217931-1614121854.jpg
    1434324217931-1614121854.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 224

madaim

Dabbler

ok....finally it is working now...took about 30 mins to boot. is it normal? am i stuck at 9.2.1.9? cant upgrade?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, you've shown that your system, at least in its present configuration, won't boot from a GPT-formatted USB stick. If there's a BIOS upgrade available, that may help. Otherwise, you may need other hardware.

madaim

Dabbler
Well, you've shown that your system, at least in its present configuration, won't boot from a GPT-formatted USB stick. If there's a BIOS upgrade available, that may help. Otherwise, you may need other hardware.

i already have latest BIOS. Atleast i can test it and if it like it. i will upgrade my hardware.thanks for your all help....

Status
Not open for further replies.