Setup can't find boot files

billettg

Cadet
Hello,

Attempting to install TrueNAS (TrueNAS-12.0-U5.1) which was burned to a USB stick using Rufus in DD mode (enforced).

I can boot to the installation menu, but as it starts it shows (see attached screenshot):

Loading configured modules...
can't find 'etc/hostid'
can't find'openzfs'
can't find '/boot/entropy'

It won't progress any further than this.

I've tried various fixes such as:

-installing older FreeNAS
-alternative USB stick
-different USB ports
-resetting BIOS
-setting IDE in BIOS
-disabling legacy boot in BIOS
-disabling various features in BIOS
-reflashing USB
-using balenaEtcher to flash USB
-removing all hardware inside the box

Unfortunately as the system does not boot I cannot tell much about it other than it's a Intel Celeron G460, UEFI, Acer motherboard, 8GB ram and 120GB SSD. The USB stick works fine when attempting to install any other OS such as Ubuntu 20.04 Server, and the USB stick works with TrueNAS in Hyper-V on Windows 10, and on an AMD based system (physical).

Please advise. Happy to gather more information if required.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 929

billettg

Cadet
Please find attached lshw output (note the system is only using 2GB ram at the moment but 8GB used in testing).

Attachments

• lshw-output.txt
    20.2 KB · Views: 433

TrueNasNoob79

Dabbler
As my Username would suggest I'm stuck on this same issue!

Flashed a USB install drive and it hangs on the same screen as above. Any hlp would be appreciated!

Trying to install on an HP Elite Book 800 Gen 4. As far as Im aware I have turned off all secure boot issues as this was initially stopping the boot to the USB.

Does the USB flash have to be formated or coverted to MBR, GPT etc? Created with USB with both Rufus and Balena Etcher.
Thanks in advance for any help.

billettg

Cadet
Hi TrueNasNoob79,

All I can say is best of luck to you, as there appears to be zero support for this type of issue.

Eventually I gave up and moved to another solution, which is a shame as TrueNAS looks really comprehensive, but I guess we will never know!

TrueNasNoob79

Dabbler
Hi billettg,

Thanks for the reply!

I was also hoping for a solution but it appears that its tricky to find.

I've tried everything that I know myself but to no avail.

Frustrating as was hoping to use this unused SFF PC as something to tuck away for mainly Plex. I don't need a ton of storage so buying more hardware such as a Synology isn't really worth the money in my case.
It really is strange though. I'm sure people out thee have managed to install on an HP hardware machine before?

Anyways thanks again for the reply and hoping your now new solution is working out for ya. I As i say I think I'll stick around and see what happens! I live in hope! All the best.

TrueNasNoob79

Dabbler
Hi TrueNasNoob79,

All I can say is best of luck to you, as there appears to be zero support for this type of issue.

Eventually I gave up and moved to another solution, which is a shame as TrueNAS looks really comprehensive, but I guess we will never know!

Hey Bill,

Jumped on another board to try and work this issue out. Another member suggested that if you have access to another system, you can use that to install TNC12 onto the disk. Then remove it from the good system and put it into the troublesome system and it should boot!

I ran the USB flash drive on my Mac and I did manage to get through to the install pane dor installing the OS. I was stopped however because I had connected the SSD disk I was going to use as my OS via USB 3 SATA connector and when hitting 1 to install the installer said I needed to select a disk.So close!
it must requirea native SATA on board connection to install the OS.
Anyways the solution my well work for you. Unfortunately I don’t have another system to use as a donor install.

Fymyte

Cadet
Jumped on another board to try and work this issue out. Another member suggested that if you have access to another system, you can use that to install TNC12 onto the disk. Then remove it from the good system and put it into the troublesome system and it should boot!
Sorry I have the same issue while trying to install TrueNAS on an old PC.
I have successfully installed TrueNAS on the disk using another PC, but when I put the disk back on the old one, it still not boot.
I have no clue of what is going on but this doesn't seem to work either, at least for me.

ProfUloth

Cadet
So, I was having this issue and remembered having it previously. I was beating my head against the wall trying to remember how I resolved it. UEFI was the answer. I had to boot without UEFI support and it sailed right past the screen where I was stuck. Sorry this is coming a few months too late for you, but hopefully this helps someone else who is banging their head against the wall.

tigger

Cadet
Hi everyone,

i have a solution for this problem i think.
My MB is an Asus Board, but i think every other board has an similar option.
On the Advanced Settings i chose the boot via direct boot from the stick, not the UEFI:Genric "YOURSTICK" option.
After choosing this option, the bios directly boots from the usb stick and voilá , after a short time truenas is installed
and ready.
I hope i could help. This works for me.

Regards,

tigger

Attachments

• 2022-01-19 22.33.41.jpg
    2022-01-19 22.33.41.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 805

YTAKAPOWER

Cadet
Hi everyone,

i have a solution for this problem i think.
My MB is an Asus Board, but i think every other board has an similar option.
On the Advanced Settings i chose the boot via direct boot from the stick, not the UEFI:Genric "YOURSTICK" option.
After choosing this option, the bios directly boots from the usb stick and voilá , after a short time truenas is installed
and ready.
I hope i could help. This works for me.

Regards,

tigger
Hey tigger,

This didn't work for me is there another fix?

tigger

Cadet
Hi guys,

as written above, i guess the main problem is, that you can´t boot via UEFI from the usb stick. So, grab your manuals and look for a not UEFI option, to boot from a usb stick. Hope i could help a bit.

Regards,

tigger

Munkh

Cadet
Hello World :wink:

I had similiar setup and same error as mentioned in billettg's very first post on this thread. (I having "Acer Veriton M2611" to be accurate)
In general fixed this issue by disabling the UEFI boot in BIOS settings. In my case, BIOS was updated and version is P11-BOL and the path to disable UEFI is, Enter your BIOS by pressing DEL during startup and: Boot Options > Launch CSM > Never.
Second important point is select <Boot via UEFI> during TrueNAS installation process (in TrueNAS Boot Mode windows).

Thanks for tigger's hint pointing that USB stick can't boot in UEFI mode.

Best regards,
Munkhbayar.B (BMR)