Tricky boot with AsRock q2900-itx

executer

Cadet
Hello, community.
I have been spent few days with strange situation: fresh install not boots up. Boot devices tested are: mSATA 32 GB cards and sata HDD 500 GB. Could not make it bootable. Installation was done from USB 2.0 USB Stick with FreeNAS-11.3-U5.iso. USB3.0 sticks also was not good for that motherboard becouse on certain moment they become invisible for BSD system. I have only one USB2.0 port on back side and not managed to turn internal USB3.0 to USB2.0 mode to use it with internal usb sticks with system.
So, only solution that I managed to get work is wery wierd: double USB3.0 sticks on internal ports and double mSATA 32 GB and TrueNas installed on all of that four in mirrors. So I have a redundancy. System boots up on USB stick and continues on mSATA card. Yes, in web interface boot pool is in degraded state (USB sticks in USB3.0 ports are unavailable for system). Any ideas to make it start from mSATA drives only without USB Sticks?

Tests done with Win10PE USB bootable stick in internal USB3.0 port, USB Legacy enabled, USB3.0 mode in Auto or Disabled - no matter:
in CSM=UEFI mode usb stick boots up in UEFI mode, in USB mode just a black screen.
in CSM=Laegacy mode usb stick boots up partly either in USB or UEFI mode with warning "driver not found" and only basic system parts available from RAM disk

Installed TrueNAS boot from USB3.0 sticks with disconnected mSATA drives stucks with "cannot find the pool label for "boot-pool""
Any combination of BIOS options still brings to black screen if Im trying to boots from SATA device.

Attachments

• 2021-05-21_001553.png
    2021-05-21_001553.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 210

ThreeDee

Guru
are you running latest 1.60 BIOS?
have you tried with 12.0-U3.1 ISO?
if they are all mirrored, can't you just remove the other 3 from the configuration and just leave the mSATA drive?

Last edited: