Uh-oh ... "Mounting from cd9660:iso9660/TRUENAS failed with error 2."

StephenCND

Cadet
Greetings everyone. This is my first post and was wondering if anyone can be of assistance. I seemed to have run into issues in installing Truenas onto my machine (specs further below) . I am a novice at linux so I'm not sure what to look for in the lines of info that was generated in it's attempt to install. It gives me the impression that it has issues with the image , or with it's inability to see and mount to any drive . Course, I could be completely wrong.
CPU: i5-750
PSU: 525W
Motherboard: Gigabyte P55A-UD4P
Bios: Award Modular Bios v 6.00PG (non-UEFI)
Memory: DDR3 1333 - 2 x 8GB
Boot install from CD Rom (not USB key)
Target install drive: SSD 64GB Kingston. (Also tried 256GB Samsung SSD 850 Pro, and Seagate HDD 250GB)
Data drives: 4 x 4TB WD Red
ISO version TrueNAS-12.0-U6.1 burned via Balina .

NOTE: The ISO image is probably not at fault: I actually was able to install onto an even older computer as a test (Athalon 64 cpu, Ram - DDR2 4GB) but the cpu was working too hard and the playback of movies in Plex would buffer every 10 seconds)

On this hardware, (mentioned above) I cannot get TrueNas to install (Tried both ISO versions TrueNAS-12.0-U6.1 & TrueNAS-12.0-U7) . Please note, I could not install from a USB key or drive for that matter: The second I inserted a USB key or drive, the bios P.O.S.T. screen would lock up. I am able to boot install from CD rom however.

I've tried:
- changing to different installation drives,
- tried clearing the cmos,
- loaded "Fail-Safe" & "Optimized Defaults" in Bios (if you need specifics re. Bios setting, please let me know).
- I've tried with and without "ACPI and "Safe Mode options" in the TrueNas installer,
- I've gone through the posts, and nothing quite fit my issue.. "error 2" doesn't seem to be a USB3 issue since I am booting from a CD image. Doesn't seem to be an image problem, since it did work on a different machine. I suspect it's a mobo issue, but ran out of ideas of what it might be.

The install seems to be proceeding, however it won't get to the stage when you select a destination drive to install the OS.
The install will stall at command prompt "kbd4 at ukbd2" for a couple of minutes, then the following lines would appear:

"Mounting from cd9660:iso9660/TRUENAS failed with error 2."
Loader variables:
vfs.root.mountfrom=cd9660:iso9660/TRUENAS
Manual root filesystem specifications:
<fstype>:<device> [options]
Mount <device> using filesystem <fstype>
and with the specified (optional) options list.

eg. ufs:/dev:/zroot/ROOT/default
cd9660:dev:/cd0 ro
(which is equivalent to: mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/cd0 /)

? List valid disk boot devices
. Yield 1 second (for background tasks)
<empty line> Abort manual input
mountroot> random: unblocking device."

I would then press Enter, and the following lines would appear:

panic: mountroot: unable to (re-)mount root.
cpuid: = 0
time = 1557
KDB: stack backtrace:
Db_trace_self_wrapper() at db_trace_self_wrapper=)x2b/frame 0xfffffe000052ea40
vpanic() at vpanic+0x17b/frame 0xfffffe000052ea90
panic() at panic+0x43/frame 0xfffffe000052eaf0
vfs_mountroot() at vfs_mountroot+0x19a5/frame 0xffffe000052ec70
start_int() at start_init+0x27/frame 0xfffffe000052ec70
fork_exit() at fork_exit+0x7e/frame 0xfffffe000052ed30
fork_trampoline() at fork_trampoline+0xe/frame 0xfffffe000052ed30
---trap 0, rip + 0. rsp = 0, rbp = ---
KDB: enter: panic
[ thread pid 1 tid 100002 ]
Stopped at kdb_enter+0x37: movq $0,0x1648ba6(%rip)
db>"

Any ideas or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

StephenCND

Cadet
There have been some developments since my initial post. I have changed the bios setting for "Legacy USB Storage" to Disabled and now the system will not crash whenever a USB device is plugged in. Also, TrueNas installer was able to proceed. So, both issues were linked, as I suspected. All is well, for now.
Season's Greetings !