How to upgrade the raid

dwf2008

Dabbler
How are you arriving at 12 TB???
ZFS does not use "half the space" when using mirrors; it litterally "mirrors" (duplicate) the data over several drives. If you add the third drive to the existing vdev, you'll end up with a 3-way mirror vdev: Double redundancy, reasonably safe, but same 8 TB capacity.
If you were to add the third drive as a new (single drive) vdev, striped with the previous vdev, you'd end up with 16 TB of capacity but an unsafe setup: Failure of the single drive would take down the entire pool.
This is probably a stupid question, but could the third drive be split into two 4 tb partitions thereby appearing as 2 separate drives. Then using it as a second mirrored pool?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
This is probably a stupid question, but could the third drive be split into two 4 tb partitions thereby appearing as 2 separate drives. Then using it as a second mirrored pool?
If that drive fails, then both parts of your "mirror" are gone and so is all the data. So what would be gained with such a setup?

Etorix

Wizard
If you're desperate enough to ask that kind of question, it may be fair to conclude that ZFS is not for you and that you'd be happier—and safer!—with Unraid or OpenMediaVault.

NugentS

MVP
4 * 8TB, RaidZ2 = 16TB in round numbers. 8+8+((8+8) in parity)

4 * 8TB, RaidZ2 = 16TB in round numbers. 8+8+((8+8) in parity)
Or from a usability standpoint:

1 Boot drive + (3) 8TB Data drives
Data: 8TB
Mirror: 8TB (Mirror 1)
Mirror: 8TB (Mirror 2)
========
x 80% usable space (leaving 20% slack space for ZFS Copy-On-Write; 25% preferred)
========
Real-World Data: 6.4TB (max), 6TB (realistic)

1 Boot drive + (4) 8TB Data drives
Parity: 8TB (RaidZ1)
Parity: 8TB (RaidZ2)
========
Data: 16TB
x 80% usable space (leaving 20% slack space for ZFS Copy-On-Write; 25% preferred)
========
Real-World Data: 12.8TB (max), 12TB (realistic)

1 Boot drive + (5) 8TB Data drives
========
Data: 24TB
========
Real-World Data: 19.2TB (max), 18TB (realistic)

Every additional data drives adds 6TB of storage, up to 9 data-parity drives maximum per pool. Beyond 9 drives the pool starts to slow down, some pools have 12 drives though they are special cases.

dwf2008

Dabbler
If you're desperate enough to ask that kind of question, it may be fair to conclude that ZFS is not for you and that you'd be happier—and safer!—with Unraid or OpenMediaVault.
It was a theoretical question. Not something I would actually contemplate doing.

dwf2008

Dabbler
Or from a usability standpoint:

1 Boot drive + (3) 8TB Data drives
Mirror: 8TB (Mirror 1)
Mirror: 8TB (Mirror 2)
========
========
Real-World Data: 6.4TB (max), 6TB (realistic)

1 Boot drive + (4) 8TB Data drives
========
Data: 16TB
========
Real-World Data: 12.8TB (max), 12TB (realistic)

1 Boot drive + (5) 8TB Data drives
========
Data: 24TB
========
Real-World Data: 19.2TB (max), 18TB (realistic)

Every additional data drives adds 6TB of storage, up to 9 data-parity drives maximum per pool. Beyond 9 drives the pool starts to slow down, some pools have 12 drives though they are special cases.
I failed to include that the boot drive is a separate 500 G drive. Sorry. So does that info get me to approx. 24 tb usable storage if only one is used for parity? Or are two parity drives required?

Last edited:

Etorix

Wizard
Nothing is "required", but with large HDDs double parity is recommended.
Ultimately, it all depends on the level of resiliency you want to achieve, the quality of your backup strategy and how much you're willing to restore individual files and/or whole pool content from backup in the event of failure.

dwf2008

Dabbler
Nothing is "required", but with large HDDs double parity is recommended.
Ultimately, it all depends on the level of resiliency you want to achieve, the quality of your backup strategy and how much you're willing to restore individual files and/or whole pool content from backup in the event of failure.
Thank you Etorix.

dwf2008

Dabbler
If I understand correctly, and I have 4 x 8 tb drives for storage, I can set them up mirrored yielding 16 tb usable, or I can set them up as zfs raid2 also yielding 16 tb usable. So if the result is the same, is there one option that is better than the other?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If I understand correctly, and I have 4 x 8 tb drives for storage, I can set them up mirrored yielding 16 tb usable, or I can set them up as zfs raid2 also yielding 16 tb usable. So if the result is the same, is there one option that is better than the other?
Mirrors give you more IOPS and faster resilver times, RAIDZ2 better fault tolerance.

Etorix

Wizard
Correct.
Striped mirrors provide more IOPS, and would be the recommended layout for zvols or iSCSI. It is more flexible
Raidz2 is inflexible, but more resilient.

dwf2008

Dabbler
Are there any RAIDZ configurations where the capacity can be increased by adding more disks and without offloading the data and starting all over?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
No. May I ask why you bring this up again? It has been covered multiple times already.

dwf2008

Dabbler
No. May I ask why you bring this up again? It has been covered multiple times already.
Sorry, just trying to bury old misunderstandings.
Thanks for your reply.

Are there any RAIDZ configurations where the capacity can be increased by adding more disks and without offloading the data and starting all over?
While reading the documentation takes time, it yields understanding. Running a server without understanding increases the risk of catastrophic data loss. Conversely, increased understanding and experience often lead to advancement possibilities in the workforce. Fortunately there are a lot of free resources here and awesome community support.