How do I turn off the display?

slimjim

Cadet
I'm running FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64 on a laptop. As I want to save power, and primarily use SSH and the WebGUI to manage FreeNAS, I'd like to turn off the display the majority of the time. The screensaver is insufficient for this purpose.

Can this be done?

Thanks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
In the past I've found that turning off the screen is a proprietary function. As such, unless you have code to shut down the screen you don't really have the option to do that. :(

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The "blank" screen saver, or the green one that actually signals the monitor to go into power saving mode?

Because if it doesn't obey a command from the OS to go into power saving mode, there's always a screwdriver and unplugging the connector.

Code:
# kldload green_saver.ko
# vidcontrol -t <seconds>

russnas

Contributor
what kind of laptop do you have and whats your setup?, i was thinking about doing this too, no hardware keys to turn display off, theres not much you can do other than using the external display and disconnecting the screen, or write a turnable or jail?

slimjim

Cadet
Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I decided to stick with Debian, which has the vbetool package.

Thanks to all who replied.

Slim

LinusPL

Cadet
Hi,
let me dig out thread ...

I really need to have display switched off.
Wake on lan is working like a charm and last missing piece is the screen.

Kind regards
L.

rm-r

Contributor
there is an option under advanced settings for screen saver - tick the box

LinusPL

Cadet
rm-r: when I am saying "display switched off" I mean monitor powered down, NOT with funny ascii picture on it.

anybody ??? any ideas ??? scripts ???

Kind regards
L

rm-r

Contributor
The power button on the monitor....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

LinusPL

Cadet
rm-r: it is hard to push the button while you miles away, but you probably know that ... or maybe not if you are who I am thinking you are ... LOL

joeschmuck

Old Man
If you are not using the monitor, turn it off. There is no reason for it to be on. FreeNAS doesn't need it. If this doesn't fix it maybe you should explain your circumstances. You know I wanted to answer it this way "Call your mommy and ask her to turn it off." but I couldn't do it. Wait, I just did, ;)

rm-r

Contributor
If you want console, get it to log to a file, I never have a screen connected to mine. Ipmi is the future!

LinusPL

Cadet
@joeschmuck: I like to keep my monitor ready to work all the time and end of story. Windows can put it into sleep mode so I'am sure FreeNAS too. Simply you don't know the solution.

rm-r

Contributor
You could look how Pcbsd does it

joeschmuck

Old Man
@joeschmuck: I like to keep my monitor ready to work all the time and end of story. Windows can put it into sleep mode so I'am sure FreeNAS too. Simply you don't know the solution.
Wow, did I hit a nerve? You did make me laugh. I wouldn't make a bet on FreeNAS being able to do something. I've been here since the beginning and features like turning off monitors is not high on the priority list. Not saying you can't make it work but it may take some work on your part to figure it out.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Did anyone try what I suggested above?

Just tried it and it worked perfectly, monitor entered sleep mode.

One caveat is that you have to make sure to enter the vidcontrol command from the actual console itself, SSH disallows it:

Code:
vidcontrol: getting active vty: Inappropriate ioctl for device

So you'll need to use IPMI or a similar method to get a console if you aren't physically nearby.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Oh. No. That has nothing to do with ssh. vidcontrol uses fd 0 to track down the console. Redirect stdin from /dev/ttyv0 and it'll work.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Will it stick after a reboot or does something else need to happen? I know I won't be using it but someone will have to ask the question.