Turn off/offline/disconnect a Zpool ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arameen

Contributor
Hi
I am planning my harddrives setup and configuration in a new freeNAS machine. I have 6x 3TB Seagatedrives and 2x 4TB WD RED drives.
I will propably create 2 zpools. One of those zpools will contain data i don't need to access often at all. Maybe once in a month and not even that!
Therefor i would like to be able to turn off/offline/disconnect that zpool (no power at all to those drives) and later when needed once a month turn it on/online it and uses it again.
Example:
Every month,
- Read or store data in that zpool
- Zscrub it
- Turn off/offline/disconnect that zpool again.

So i wonder, is there such an option in freeNAS ?
(( Claryifing, i want all of that zpools drives to be complety turned off from power. Saving power and generating less heat. At the same time i want that zpool to be able to e scrubed when i turned it on. ))

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There is.. export the pool and remove the hard drives from the system via hotswap (or shutdown and removal). When you want to add the disks you reinstall them and do an "auto-import".

Do be warned that SATA/SAS drives are not designed to be installed and removed frequently (they're rated for 250 installs or something) but if you are being honest with yourself when you say monthly you should be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.