How do I turn off the display?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
No, it is just asking the driver for a different mode. To persist it, add a startup command or script.

Gonzalo

Patron
I know this post is a bit old but I want to share the solution. Just add three Tunables for rc.conf: blanktime=<seconds value>, saver="green" and scrnmap="NO".

Attachments

• Tunables.png
    Tunables.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 480

Gonzalo

Patron
Yes, this is now supported by rc.conf tunables.
Again coming back to life this post because right now my solution doesn't work on my main system (specs in my signature). Nothing happen. If I turn on the screensaver through the GUI, Beastie starts jumping around. Also I tried to use another screensaver (assigned to saver variable) with the same result. Any ideas where the issue might be?

Thanks!

frostyfrog

Cadet
Hi. A few years have past. Is there a solution today? I installed freenas on a old laptop and would like to reduce power consumption. Any help is appreciated.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I installed freenas on a old laptop
Don't. The odds that "a old laptop" will have anything close to suitable hardware for FreeNAS are as close to zero as makes no difference.

frostyfrog

Cadet
Don't. The odds that "a old laptop" will have anything close to suitable hardware for FreeNAS are as close to zero as makes no difference.
What do you mean with suitable hardware. I guess our definitions of old might vary. The Laptop meats the official requirements (RAM could even be upgraded to 16GB) and since it got USB 3 the gigabit network connection is the limiting factor concerning transfer speed. Is there any other reason why I should avoid reusing an laptop instead of buying for new hardware?
If not I really would be interested in disabling the display via software.
Regards

danb35

Hall of Famer
since it got USB 3 the gigabit network connection is the limiting factor concerning transfer speed.
So storage would be over USB? No, that isn't suitable hardware.