High drive temperature in new TrueNAS Mini E

vansid

Cadet
Happy new year, folks! Santa brought me a new TrueNAS Mini E (8gb) for Christmas, and I filled it with four Seagate Ironwolf 6TB drives (ST6000VN0033). However, I'm seeing unusually high drive temperatures that are starting to worry me. The two drives in the middle are reaching 49 C at times, while the top and bottom drives are getting to 44 C and 42 C. I've verified this through the System -> View Enclosure option in the web GUI, as well as with the smartctl command in the terminal.

Any ideas on how to cool these drives down? I can't find any setting in the web GUI or the IPMI for this system to increase fan speed, and I think there's only one CPU fan and one rear case fan. I'm worried that these drives are running too hot and will have a much shorter lifespan.

Some relevant info:
4x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB drives ST6000VN0033-2EE110
TrueNAS Mini E
Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C3338 @ 1.50GHz
8 GB ECC RAM
[enclosure is in a room-temperature basement during winter]

Thanks!

amichelf

Dabbler
Hi I think your enclosure looks similar to mine.
It might be helpful to adjust the Fan to run at max speed and then use one of the fan scripts like this or this to fine tune it.
That is the way I set it up my average disk temperatiure is between 38 to 40 C in an 21 C ambient room.
Usually this should not worry as even with 44 C the drives are within their operating range, looking at the datasheet you provided.

vansid

Cadet
It might be helpful to adjust the Fan to run at max speed and then use one of the fan scripts like this or this to fine tune it.

Thanks, but the motherboard that shipped with my TrueNAS Mini E isn't made by SuperMicro, and doesn't appear to have any way to control fans. Perhaps there are some other scripts that work with the built-in board (made by ASRock)?

vansid

Cadet
In case anyone else with a TrueNAS Mini E is having high drive temperature problems, I was able to find a workaround that solved my issue by setting the rear fan to a higher speed / RPM. I was unable to find any setting within the IPMI web interface or the TrueNAS GUI to change fan speeds, so I had to resort to the shell. This command raised my rear fan (called "REAR_FAN1") speed to 1400 RPM (didn't notice much of an increase in noise):

ipmitool raw 0x3a 0x01 0x00 0x00 0x64 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00

Prior to running that command, my rear fan was set to 500 RPM. My highest drive temperature was 51.6 C, and now my idle temperature is 33 C. That's a huge difference, and certainly something that iXsystems needs to be concerned with -- I can't be the only person who is experiencing this problem. At this point, I'll either need to run this command everytime I reboot, or figure out how to wedge it into a startup script (I'm very new to FreeNAS/TrueNAS). @Kris Moore , should I submit a bug report for this?

BitShepherd

Cadet
Happy new year, folks! Santa brought me a new TrueNAS Mini E (8gb) for Christmas, and I filled it with four Seagate Ironwolf 6TB drives (ST6000VN0033). However, I'm seeing unusually high drive temperatures that are starting to worry me. The two drives in the middle are reaching 49 C at times, while the top and bottom drives are getting to 44 C and 42 C. I've verified this through the System -> View Enclosure option in the web GUI, as well as with the smartctl command in the terminal.

Any ideas on how to cool these drives down? I can't find any setting in the web GUI or the IPMI for this system to increase fan speed, and I think there's only one CPU fan and one rear case fan. I'm worried that these drives are running too hot and will have a much shorter lifespan.

[...]

Thanks!

Congratulations on your gift from Santa! May it bring you years of safe storage.

I don't have an answer on cooling the drives, but I do want to point out that they are within the operating range given in the datasheet that you linked. The sheet says the operating range is 5-70 degrees C, with a footnote that says that sustained operation above 60 is not recommended.

Cool drives are nice, yours are warm, but maybe not warm enough to panic.