Seagate 8Tb Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcfluffels

Cadet
Well at least my problem is solved.
"pro lamer
You may also try exchanging these two's bays and learn what happens...

Just a wild idea.
Well damn,
I had the 8TB in the far left bay moved it one over and temps are now around the low 30s. looks like there was a dead spot in airflow through the 5-in-1.

Thanks for the help

Constantin

Vampire Pig
That’s the issue I have with a lot of systems, especially hot swap cages: the drives are bunched too close together to allow adequate cooling with the fans provided.

Supermicro, 45 drives, etc. really pack in the drives but they counter the potential HDD toaster effect by also using fans that can develop a high static pressure. That’s typically noisy but a trade off that data centers, etc are happy to make. For those customers, density matters a lot.

In a home setting, a lot of folk want a quiet machine. If that’s a goal, then components, cases, and so on have to chosen differently. Also, chances are that the hard drive density will go down dramatically.

For example, my a76 case is enormous but it only holds 12 HDDs in a single-row, designated, “hot swap lite” array. This allows me to use quiet fans yet keep the drives below 35*C even during multi-hour scrubs. My case is likely 2-3x the volume of a comparable 2u case from supermicro. As drive quantity goes up, the ratio only becomes more lopsided.

Please also consider that a lot of the three 5.25 bay to five 3.5” hotswap converters out there feature crummy fans, inadequate cooling channels, and little thought re: how to ensure that all drives in them are actually cooled somewhat evenly.

Never mind the even weirder hot-plate creations like the piggy-back system in the H440 by NZXT. For an extreme example, look no further than my build report on the Norco RPC 431, which is an excellent hard drive destroyer. If heat won’t destroy your drives then the absent backplane / cable stress very well may. A lot of consumer-grade stuff is engineered to meet price, not performance, targets.

For example, I’ll note that supermicro includes fake hard drives in its initial case sale to ensure that all hard drives get similar air flow. If some bays had been left open, then the air would rush through them preferentially rather than running through all hot swap bays equally. This attention to detail is one reason I have turned my hardware buying preferences to supermicro.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Well at least my problem is solved.
"pro lamer

Well damn,
I had the 8TB in the far left bay moved it one over and temps are now around the low 30s. looks like there was a dead spot in airflow through the 5-in-1.

Thanks for the help
Often times, if you have empty bays, all the air goes through the empty bay and the drives don't get enough airflow. If you don't have a drive in the bay, it is best to block the air from going through that bay with some device. Supermicro sells these plastic blocks (they come with a new server) but you can buy them on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-4-S...-fillers-3-5-inch-LFF-05-SC82518/163322688470

One of the forum members here, Stux used hand cut foam. See his post here:
https://www.ixsystems.com/community...ro-x10-sri-f-xeon-e5-1650v4.46262/post-315996

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Both Drives are in a 5-in-3 drive cage with a Corsair SP120 120mm fan, there are no airflow issues
These are mounted in the Chenbro case? Did they come with it?
Sorry, I should have looked at what kind of drive enclosure you were using.

Mcfluffels

Cadet
These are mounted in the Chenbro case? Did they come with it?
Sorry, I should have looked at what kind of drive enclosure you were using.
Update 2:
I salvaged the 5-in-3 is from an ancient 10 bay Intel server it came with all 10 blanks (lucky me). Originally it was cooled by a 120mm case fan mounted on aluminium right angle. (Notice large gaps)
20190504_204256.jpg
20190504_204256.jpg

I made a shroud from 1mm (18-gauge) aluminium sheet. This is a paper mock-up because I already mounted the server and it is not on rails, Im not looking for a hernia removing it again.
20190504_210207.jpg
20190504_210157.jpg
20190504_210214.jpg
20190504_210207.jpg 20190504_210157.jpg 20190504_210214.jpg

This is the finished result.
20190503_150526.jpg
20190502_160110.jpg

moderatorlol

Cadet
Trolling and being obnoxious is not acceptable
[a wholly inappropriate troll message deleted, name calling is not appropriate -jg]

Last edited by a moderator:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Moderator note: folks, try to be mindful of the fact that people are trying to help each other, and there isn't much to be gained from trolling responses. This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.