Help idiot-proof my box (Upgrade/config/general recs for new user)

.Mira.

Cadet
First off, I will admit right away that I am the stereotypical clueless layperson bumbling into these forums. I saw an article saying "Here's how you can convert old computer parts into a NAS!" and went "Wow, sounds great, sign me up!" fully unaware of the scope of considerations that ought to be made, and not realizing just how much I didn't know until the project was well underway and plenty of money had already been dropped. You may pause here to point and laugh at your screen, get it out of your system, but understand that I am extremely aware my current setup is far from optimal, and I will be asking for hardware recommendations later in the post. But I don't have the budget to drop hundreds more on computer parts right now, so my current setup will have to stand as-is for at least a couple months.

Currently my NAS has been up and running for several days. I have yet to experience any catastrophic issues or data loss, nothing is presently stored on it that's not duplicated elsewhere. What I'm seeking right now is preventative advice, and possible tweaks or optimizations to improve reliability. I've tried digging around and researching on the forums and documentation as much as I can, but I am not a smart woman and a lot of discussions and instructions are pretty impenetrable to me. It's hard to even tell sometimes what things are relevant to my particular situation. So I'm hoping that maybe some of you smart folks out there can help me get my stuff more in order, and help head off any looming disasters I would've been fully oblivious to.

Context
The main reason I decided to set up a NAS was for more reliable data storage and regular backups. Currently my main PC has a 1TB M.2 SSD, and additional storage in the form of a 1TB HDD that has been through 3 different builds of my PC over the past decade, and though it's yet to cause any problems I'm running under the assumption that it's just waiting for the perfect moment to succumb to old age and become dust. Beyond that, I've got a couple USB drives which have always felt kinda flaky to me, fill up way too fast if I want to fit a system image on there, and which I never actually use because it's such a pain to go dig them out of a drawer and plug them in and then spend hours running windows backup only to have it fail for some reason. The inconvenience of it is actively detrimental to my data safety because I never actually want to use the damn things.

So the thought was, have a separate box that's always on and accessible, let windows automatically save backups to it, get some redundancy in there for extra security, and have a solution for up-to-date data backups that I'll actually use. And it means I can also archive old and big and less-used files on there to free up space on my main PC's drives. If I could also figure out how to set it up to beam video files up to the family's smart TV or whatever that'd be a fun bonus, but far from a priority.

I realize this isn't, like, a true genuine 100% backup solution. It'll still be vulnerable to my house catching on fire, or a burglar breaking in, and probably susceptible to any vulnerabilities in/attacks on our local network. But it's not feasible for me to buy extra drives to ship off to cold storage, and I have data I don't particularly want to trust with 3rd-party cloud services. The idea is to significantly improve my data security, which again, is presently "barely anything". It'll at least help protect me in the event one of my main drives fails, or somebody dumps a diet coke into my PC or what have you, and gives me a place to keep my data if I need to reinstall my OS or anything.

(Also yes, I am a Windows user, and I agree, it is a godawful operating system made by a greedy corporation that seems determined to make it worse at every turn, but I am far too stupid for linux and I also like playing video games so I have to make do)
*MB: ASRock Z75 Pro3
*CPU: i5-2500K
*RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866
†PSU: EVGA 500 BR
‡NIC: Intel Gigabit CT (EXPI9301CT)
Boot Drive: Samsung 870 EVO, 250GB SATA SSD
Storage Drives: 2x Seagate BarraCuda, 8TB 5400 RPM HDD (Mirrored config)

*Parts re-used from a previous build of my mid-low budget gaming PC, which were in good working condition for several years before being retired.
Some places in the current TrueNAS documentation claim that 8GB RAM is the minimum required, while other places allege 16GB is needed. if 16 is truly required, it'd be nice if the documentation were updated to make that consistent. I've yet to run into any problems from the amount of RAM, but when transferring a lot of files the dashboard sometimes shows the ZFS cache pushing up uncomfortably close to the limit - there's .3GiB free right now.
The CPU has been more than sufficient, no thread ever pushing above the mid-20%s at their highest peaks, but unfortunately neither the CPU nor motherboard support ECC RAM.

†I would have liked something with a lower wattage and better efficiency + more reliability features, but that market intersection does not seem to exist in the computer part spaces I'm aware of, eg. Newegg, Amazon. Lower wattage seems to correlate with lower quality, no-name brands, etc, and you don't really start getting "premium" features until you look into extremely expensive units with wattages that would be absurdly overkill for a system like this. Maybe there's a market out there for server-specific low-power high-quality PSUs that I just haven't been able to find

‡Bought used, verified genuine, has the Intel logo and the holographic Yottamark sticker, code checked out correctly

Questions
This would've been a good question to ask much sooner in the process, but i didn't (and still don't really) know what other options are even available when it comes to NAS OSes. In my later research I came across this post, a lot of the details of which fly right over my head, but it gives the impression that ZFS is such a fragile finicky system that if any single part of your entire machine has an error, all your data will be irretrievably lost forever even if the actual drives are fully intact, and there's no way to recover any of it. Which doesn't sound great! But also the post is a decade old, and I don't know how much of it still holds true.

Considering that the main thing I want out of my NAS is to be the most reliable place in my home to store data, including data that I may not keep other duplicates of elsewhere, is a ZFS-based system the best option for me? Is one failed RAM stick or other component going to sabotage all my data? If the hardware or OS fail in some way but the drives are still fine, will it be possible for me to retrieve the data from them after replacing faulty components/restoring my TrueNAS config file/etc?

If ZFS isn't suitable for my use case, is there a better option out there I should consider instead?
My main concern is the lack of ECC RAM, but the recycled components are also pretty old and well-used, though they were still in full working order when they were last taken out of service. The MB did show some finickiness when I was putting the NAS together that I don't really love, where it refused to power on unless the feng shui of the cables and tightness of the mounting screws was just right, but once it's actually all in place and powered on it hasn't shown any issues.

Considering these factors, how much of a gamble do you suppose I'd be taking by storing any data exclusively on the NAS, even just for the next 3-6 months while I save up for an upgrade? Is it a safer bet than a decade-old HDD or some flimsy USB drives? I would still like to get some use out of it during the interim instead of having a very expensive brick tucked under a table for months, but it's hard to evaluate just how risky it would be to incorporate it fully into my data management in its current state. I don't expect anyone else to be able to know exactly either, but maybe someone smarter can give a more educated guess at least.
I would like to invest into a new board, CPU, and ECC RAM once it's financially feasible for me, but part of the problem is that I simply don't know where to look or what to look for. I only really know any semblance of anything about the gaming PC component world, where the things that are prioritized are far different from the needs of a server. I don't know what specific boards or CPUs I should look into, I don't know what will be sufficient and what will be total overkill for a box that's meant to serve as a glorified hard drive with no need for video transcoding or anything.

Any specific part recommendations, for components that are ECC RAM compatible and suitable for this job, would be appreciated, and even moreso if you can provide links. I'm not even sure if these sorts of server components are something you can buy new in box on consumer sites like newegg or if you just have to trawl ebay hoping the right used part pops up.

Also, I do want as much reliability as I can easily get, but... again, my budget is very finite. I do expect to have to make some compromises. So, as much as possible, I'd like to look into the most affordable components that can still do a satisfactory job.
I am like, aware that burn-in is a thing people do to check reliability before putting parts fully into use, but I don't really know... how to execute that for something like a TrueNAS system. And when I get new components for my system I would like to be able to check them thoroughly before trusting my data to them, especially the RAM since it seems so pivotal. Is there like, a plug-in or utility I can run on the TrueNAS box to just tell it to put the RAM and CPU on blast for some hours or days or weeks to make sure nothing's gonna fail under the stress? Do I just have to run it normally but not trust it exclusively with any data until it's proven itself after a few months? What do proper burn-in procedures look like for a home user?
This one might be too vague to answer helpfully, but it seems like with this kind of thing there's often some kind of "oh yeah if you don't change this one value everything just works way worse" quirk that you just have to learn through hearsay.

Currently I've done pretty much just the absolute barebones configuration to get my NAS up and running. Set up a pool, a couple datasets, a user account, shares so I could access files from Windows, messed with network interfaces until I finally got the NIC to work. The only other thing I've really done is set up automatic tasks for SMART tests and scrubs, and saved a backup of the config file for safety's sake. Both the root account and my personal account have strong random passwords.

Are there any other important configuration steps I ought to take? Am I unwittingly leaving any huge security gaps open or leaving free performance on the table somewhere?
This one kind of falls outside the scope of the rest of the post and might not even be a problem, but I figured I'd toss it in here too. I had a monitor hooked up to the NAS today to troubleshoot after installing the NIC, and noticed that while transferring a lot of files it throws up somewhat frequent log messages that look like:
Code:
Feb 17 22:11:16 truenas 1 2023-02-17T22:11:48.634427-07:00 truenas.local dhclient 861 - - send_packet: No route to host

Googling the "No route to host" message, it seems to show up when people are having connectivity issues of some sort, but for me everything's still been working completely fine when it pops up, it doesn't interrupt file transfers or anything. It seems benign in this case so maybe there's no cause for concern, but is there anything that it might be harming or that I ought to look into to keep the message from continuing to pop up?

Sorry for the long post, I hope breaking it up like this at least helps make it more navigable. Some of this might be very basic stuff and some of it might not really be answerable at all, so sorry for any dumb questions in here, but any guidance or links to relevant resources would be appreciated.

pschatz100

Guru
Is the system running OK? I don't see any real problems with your setup. I'll offer some comments:
  1. Is this a reliable solution? I think it is OK, but not perfect. You would have greater reliability with server hardware and ECC memory, but for home use it should be fine. I would not use this hardware in a business environment. Keep in mind that you should also maintain a backup of your data. A NAS is not a replacement for a proper backup.

The post you referenced from Cyberjock about ECC versus nonECC memory is correct - however, even without ECC memory ZFS offers useful features. ZFS is an extremely robust file system. However, if you do not wish to use ZFS file system, then you cannot use TrueNAS.

2. Again, I emphasize the need for a backup strategy. A good backup will make your solution more robust.

3. When the time comes for new hardware, you should invest in server-grade components. However, you don't need the latest and greatest generation components for a NAS. You can find great deals on used server equipment if you shop diligently. Forum members will be happy to assist in hardware choices when the time comes. In the mean time, you can look at the system descriptions in the signatures of the active forum members to get some idea about their hardware configurations.

4. Search the Resources section for "burn-in." Lots of good advice there.

5. 8 Gb RAM is the absolute minimum for TrueNAS. For basic storage for just a few users, it should be OK. However, I would recommend increasing the RAM to 16Gb. The cost for an additional 8 Gb RAM is minimal and the system will perform better. You could then add something like Plex if you want to stream media to your TV's.

6. Bonus Q: If the errors show up only when there is a lot of activity, then I would try increasing the memory to 16Gb. I would also go into the bios and disable advanced "game oriented" features that don't apply to a NAS: advanced video capabilities, sound, etc. As this is an old motherboard, I would also replace the CMOS battery with a fresh one.

.Mira.

Cadet
Thanks for the response, you've given me some good stuff to consider with my data management strategy and what to do moving forward.

Is the system running OK?
Yes, it's been working fine so far (other than the seemingly-benign "No route to host" messages)

The post you referenced from Cyberjock about ECC versus nonECC memory is correct - however, even without ECC memory ZFS offers useful features. ZFS is an extremely robust file system. However, if you do not wish to use ZFS file system, then you cannot use TrueNAS.
So just to confirm my understanding one more time: The thesis of that post seems to be that if your server suffers a RAM failure, corruption in the RAM will be spread to all the data in the pool when ZFS attempts to verify data integrity, and the data will be irrecoverably destroyed even if there was never a single issue with the drives themselves. ECC RAM helps to reduce the risk of this happening.

If I have that right, then introducing such a big extra hardware-dependent lynchpin, and one that turns ZFS' advantages of data integrity verification against it, seems like a pretty significant weakpoint that deserves consideration. Presumably most people here consider that tradeoff to be worth it, but I do want to at least have an understanding of the strengths and weaknesses so I can make an informed decision.

If anybody has any recommendations for alternatives that might be worth looking into for my situation (or anti-recommendations of ones to definitely avoid) they'd be appreciated. In my searches the one that seems to draw most comparison to TrueNAS for home use is Unraid, which seems marketed more toward people of my technical level; and as far as I can tell Btrfs isn't subject to the same condition of "bad RAM = complete data loss" as ZFS. But I am skeptical by default when somebody's trying to sell me something, and the price of Unraid, while not fully prohibitive, does sting. But maybe it would still make financial sense if it allows me to forestall the need to upgrade the whole system to be ECC compatible for some time. I'll probably at least give the trial a shot to see how the experience compares to TrueNAS, but if anyone here has any experience with both OSes and has any advice or caveats, please do let me know.

Again, I emphasize the need for a backup strategy. A good backup will make your solution more robust.
This is a fair point, and I have been thinking more about what my strategy should encompass. I think the best option I have right now is probably to use the NAS as a location for automatic backups, system images, and storage of big files that I wouldn't be devastated to lose (downloaded shows, raw game footage captures, etc), and then use my USB drives to periodically manually back up the archives of stuff I really want to avoid losing as much as possible. Still not perfect, with all the data still contained within my house and the possibility of hardware failures, but it makes the most of what I have on hand right now, and having the most crucial stuff stored multiple times on separate drives/systems will at least help give me more peace of mind. Even if I do wind up moving to a non-ZFS solution, I'll still employ that strategy and keep extra copies of the irreplaceable stuff.

8 Gb RAM is the absolute minimum for TrueNAS. For basic storage for just a few users, it should be OK. However, I would recommend increasing the RAM to 16Gb. The cost for an additional 8 Gb RAM is minimal and the system will perform better. You could then add something like Plex if you want to stream media to your TV's.

Bonus Q: If the errors show up only when there is a lot of activity, then I would try increasing the memory to 16Gb. I would also go into the bios and disable advanced "game oriented" features that don't apply to a NAS: advanced video capabilities, sound, etc. As this is an old motherboard, I would also replace the CMOS battery with a fresh one.
After rebooting the server, I did a big file transfer as a test and the errors didn't start popping up until the ZFS cache got big enough to bump up against the RAM limit, so good catch! More RAM is probably an investment I can manage. Though I do have 2 older sticks of 4GB DDR3-1600 from the same manufacturer sitting around, so I might experiment and see if I can get them to play nice together, while I'm still in the stage where even if something went horribly wrong and I had to wipe all the NAS drives it would only be a minor inconvenience.

The motherboard's BIOS is pretty barebones, not many extra features to turn on or off besides some basic Intel stuff. I did realize I probably ought to turn Turbo Boost off, since the performance isn't needed and the power savings are definitely desired. There were a couple things I wasn't sure about though:
  • Should I leave Intel SpeedStep turned on? It sounds like its purpose is to lower power consumption when usage is low which ought to be desirable for a NAS, but I don't know if there are any weird interactions it could have with a TrueNAS setup.
  • Should XMP be enabled or disabled or messed with in any way? I don't know much about XMP other than that it's supposed to make RAM Work More Good for gaming, but I don't know if those performance improvements are relevant for TrueNAS, or if it has potential to introduce instability or errors.

pschatz100

Guru
Thanks for the response, you've given me some good stuff to consider with my data management strategy and what to do moving forward.

Yes, it's been working fine so far (other than the seemingly-benign "No route to host" messages)

So just to confirm my understanding one more time: The thesis of that post seems to be that if your server suffers a RAM failure, corruption in the RAM will be spread to all the data in the pool when ZFS attempts to verify data integrity, and the data will be irrecoverably destroyed even if there was never a single issue with the drives themselves. ECC RAM helps to reduce the risk of this happening.

If I have that right, then introducing such a big extra hardware-dependent lynchpin, and one that turns ZFS' advantages of data integrity verification against it, seems like a pretty significant weakpoint that deserves consideration. Presumably most people here consider that tradeoff to be worth it, but I do want to at least have an understanding of the strengths and weaknesses so I can make an informed decision.
Any system will have problems if the system memory fails. It's just that ECC adds an extra layer of protection and ZFS can take advantage of it because of the way it handles interaction with the disks. ZFS is, by far, the most reliable filesystem for storage which is why it is used for commercial NAS systems. There are numerous posts about this.

The motherboard's BIOS is pretty barebones, not many extra features to turn on or off besides some basic Intel stuff. I did realize I probably ought to turn Turbo Boost off, since the performance isn't needed and the power savings are definitely desired. There were a couple things I wasn't sure about though:
  • Should I leave Intel SpeedStep turned on? It sounds like its purpose is to lower power consumption when usage is low which ought to be desirable for a NAS, but I don't know if there are any weird interactions it could have with a TrueNAS setup.
  • Should XMP be enabled or disabled or messed with in any way? I don't know much about XMP other than that it's supposed to make RAM Work More Good for gaming, but I don't know if those performance improvements are relevant for TrueNAS, or if it has potential to introduce instability or errors.
Actually, as a gaming-oriented board, there are several things you can turn off as they won't be used.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
SpeedStep is benign, and can be left on. Just disable any CPU overclocking.
XMP probably should be disabled. On gaming boards, this is often used to provide factory overclock memory timings. However, you'll have to look at the actual profiles on the stick to see if they're overclocked or not. You generally want to run your server at stock timings to minimize the frequency of memory bit flips.

.Mira.

Cadet
Any system will have problems if the system memory fails. It's just that ECC adds an extra layer of protection and ZFS can take advantage of it because of the way it handles interaction with the disks. ZFS is, by far, the most reliable filesystem for storage which is why it is used for commercial NAS systems. There are numerous posts about this.
My concern there is essentially "Obviously ECC is the objectively best option for data security, but is non-ECC on ZFS more dangerous than non-ECC on other filesystems?" but the more I dig around the forums the more I see this exact question... enthusiastically discussed, and it seems there's not just one easy answer everyone agrees on. So to avoid getting this thread too spicy I'm gonna leave it at "I will keep doing my own research and reading what other people have said and decide what works best for my situation and budget and risk tolerance."

Actually, as a gaming-oriented board, there are several things you can turn off as they won't be used.
Any advice as to what specific things I should be looking for? A little more digging around in the BIOS revealed there was also an onboard audio setting and IGP multi-monitor support, both of which I disabled. Beyond that I've found Intel Turbo Boost (disabled), SpeedStep (currently enabled), Smart Connect (disabled), Rapid Start (disabled), and XMP (which I've left with its automatically-loaded profile). Everything else is either basic device config stuff, overclocking voltage settings which are all at their normal default values, and the remaining general category of "I don't know what this is so I'm not going to touch it"

.Mira.

Cadet
SpeedStep is benign, and can be left on. Just disable any CPU overclocking.
XMP probably should be disabled. On gaming boards, this is often used to provide factory overclock memory timings. However, you'll have to look at the actual profiles on the stick to see if they're overclocked or not. You generally want to run your server at stock timings to minimize the frequency of memory bit flips.
Ah okay, thank you, I'll give the XMP settings another look then.

First off, I will admit right away that I am the stereotypical clueless layperson bumbling into these forums.....
I'd like to take issue with a few of your statements as others probably will not and will rather stick to the technical aspects of your posts.

First, it's clearly apparent you're far more educated and organized than you are giving yourself credit for. There is every indication that if you continue down the path of setting up a highly reliable TrueNAS server you will have greater expertise than many (most) of your colleagues. TrueNAS roughly equates to Windows Server Datacenter edition, which uses a different mindset and mentality than Windows Server. With your current rate of self-investment you're acquiring an advanced education that is highly valuable.

Second, your assumptions are solid. Your data will eventually be subject to bit-rot as the equipment ages. The one thought I'd like to expand upon is ZFS and RAM. Memory errors happen far more often than we realize, and if your data is corrupted in Windows and then written to disk, it's always "bad." I have extensive experience with "moving random errors" in Excel sheets that have been corrupted by consumer-grade budget PCs that were used for complex computations and should have been workstations with ECC memory. Realize TrueNAS uses RAM to cache I/O, RAM has a lot of errors (watch that linked video a few times during dinner or lunch (earbuds and a laptop) or something), so you want solid equipment. Server-grade components have a lot of electronics to make them stable and reliable, 1-bit ECC is one factor that is often highlighted given the importance of ECC. Xenon processors can do 4-bit ECC, so that's a huge plus. USED mid-range server equipment on eBay is also around $400 to your door (plus hard drives), and that'll make a great, solid, screaming fast, reliable home NAS that does what you're looking for.

Third, most people store data on NAS, not on the laptop hard drive. NAS should be solid, reliable, secure, dependable, all the things you laid out. Plus with automatic snapshots it's "like backup," and you can easily get previous file versions and deleted stuff back. (You'll learn, I can tell you have it in you, trust me.)

Fourth, a 3-2-1 backup system is what you want. It takes a bit of time and money up front, but once you have it you'll be SO happy you have it (at least that's the impression I get from the way your posts are written). And I'm not talking gobs of money or a bunch of money, I'm talking just a bit of initial investment.

Finally, this knowledge is overwhelming at first. Take your time, you'll "get it" and it will be far more interesting and rewarding (and most people find rewarding "fun"). Go slow, keep planning ahead like you're doing, you'll save a lot of money and for a minimal investment have an awesome setup that does what you want and "simply rocks." Really. We want you to succeed far beyond your current expectations, and given how you're approaching this I believe you have loads of untapped potential.

Links to useful threads

Last edited:

.Mira.

Cadet
Hey, thank you, I appreciate the words of encouragement. I did go a bit heavy on the self-deprecation in the OP, part because tech community spaces can be... kinda scary, people who have years of experience and have answered the same questions a thousand times can start to get impatient with what feel like dumb questions from newbies (I've been on that side of the equation myself so I know it can get frustrating) and I wanted to head that off at the pass to some extent, acknowledge that there are definitely super basic thigns I don't know about yet. And also because it's embarrassing to admit when you've pulled a Dunning-Kruger and gotten in over your head before you were adequately prepared.

The reminder that it's okay to pace myself is genuinely helpful too, I have a tendency with new endeavors to feel like i have to tackle and understand everything all at once right away and then wind up getting overwhelmed and burnt out. So remembering to take breaks sometimes really does help a lot.

Fourth, a 3-2-1 backup system is what you want.
With the NAS and two USB HDDs, I should at least have a start on the 3 for my most important couple TB of data, so that's nice to at least be starting down the right track. The USB drives could definitely use an upgrade/replacement at some point, but now that I can move system image backups to the much roomier NAS (since those are really just for more convenient faster recovery rather than mission-critical) the capacity should be enough for me to keep 3 extra copies of my important files for some time to come. The 2 and 1 are trickier, maybe at some point I will just have to bite the bullet and look into cloud storage plans. But for now one step at a time, getting myself up to having 3 good copies of my data instead of 1-2 disorganized half-baked only-updated-once-or-twice-a-year copies is a big improvement.

What alternative storage media do people tend to go for for additional backups? Is it pretty much just HDDs and cloud storage for home usage? Buying SSDs for bulk storage would be prohibitively expensive and burning 20 Blu-rays per TB seems impractical (...though come to think of it an extra optical media backup of some of my truly ancient and irreplaceable files does still sound like a wise idea)

Davvo

MVP
Just a heads up: the official minimum RAM for CORE is 16GB.
You can probably make it work with 8 if you only do storage (small size), but anything else will cripple you.

Hey, thank you, I appreciate the words of encouragement. I did go a bit heavy on the self-deprecation in the OP, part because tech community spaces can be... kinda scary, people who have years of experience and have answered the same questions a thousand times can start to get impatient with what feel like dumb questions from newbies (I've been on that side of the equation myself so I know it can get frustrating) and I wanted to head that off at the pass to some extent, acknowledge that there are definitely super basic thigns I don't know about yet. And also because it's embarrassing to admit when you've pulled a Dunning-Kruger and gotten in over your head before you were adequately prepared.

The reminder that it's okay to pace myself is genuinely helpful too, I have a tendency with new endeavors to feel like i have to tackle and understand everything all at once right away and then wind up getting overwhelmed and burnt out. So remembering to take breaks sometimes really does help a lot.

With the NAS and two USB HDDs, I should at least have a start on the 3 for my most important couple TB of data, so that's nice to at least be starting down the right track. The USB drives could definitely use an upgrade/replacement at some point, but now that I can move system image backups to the much roomier NAS (since those are really just for more convenient faster recovery rather than mission-critical) the capacity should be enough for me to keep 3 extra copies of my important files for some time to come. The 2 and 1 are trickier, maybe at some point I will just have to bite the bullet and look into cloud storage plans. But for now one step at a time, getting myself up to having 3 good copies of my data instead of 1-2 disorganized half-baked only-updated-once-or-twice-a-year copies is a big improvement.

What alternative storage media do people tend to go for for additional backups? Is it pretty much just HDDs and cloud storage for home usage? Buying SSDs for bulk storage would be prohibitively expensive and burning 20 Blu-rays per TB seems impractical (...though come to think of it an extra optical media backup of some of my truly ancient and irreplaceable files does still sound like a wise idea)
Getting in over your head is how you learn to swim, and you're doing far better than most new members here. (We're happy to have new members, it's awesome, so for you readers that are coming up to speed more slowly that's fine too!)

This is so much more fun at a slower pace, things just work. iXsystems has done a great job, there are a few smaller glitches (like 200) the new SCALE update fixes, but over-all it's a solid experience. You are doing exactly the right thing, reading, then asking for clarification when something isn't clear. We love that, because it's such a great way to learn while saving you time (plus answering questions you hadn't yet known to ask).

---

I agree with your evaluation, your starting setup is pretty solid. Saving files on your laptop until your NAS is proven reliable is smart. Once you can trust your NAS, then make it your main file repository and keep a working-copy of the files you're modifying on your laptop if you need portability; keep the NAS "original repository" updated and when you're done with the project remove the files from the laptop keeping the laptop clean and fast.

Backing up from the NAS to USB drives works, especially for a home setup. On that, it's not super-reliable, but again it works almost all the time and is pretty darn reliable (until a drive dies, but still). Do that. You're comfortable with it and it works, do it. At some point down the road after your NAS has been running for a while you'll get the itch to restructure your backup system and you'll figure something out that works for you.

Personally, I don't ever use the cloud. "The cloud" is someone else's server, and there's no such thing as a free lunch. That data is getting scanned, sold, crammed into A.I. learning, hacked, hijacked, beaten up and smacked down--I value my data more than that.

Hard Disk Drives (lovingly termed spinning rust by millennials) are so cheap and available compared to other storage methods people are using a second HDD array for long-term storage. My 16-bay rack ($53 on Amazon) came in yesterday, which will house a ZFS Z3 backup array. There will also be an off-site backup (can you encrypt a USB drive and keep it in your purse or car trunk or office desk drawer?), and will follow the 3-2-1 guidelines. Like you I'm not there yet. Of course the work server is a different story (and on someone else's budget), but your focus is your home storage and your budget. We get that. Trust us, we get that, which is why we're more than happy to point you to really solid hardware found on eBay that runs 1/12 the cost of new and 1/2 the cost of a gaming rig (maybe less), yet is far simpler to support and rock-solid reliable.

SSDs are not affordable for bulk storage, and humidity can cause them to fail, so spinners are the go-to Tape has become prohibitively expensive, blue-ray is spendy, spinners are relatively cheap. There is a type of Reed-Solomon encoding that works on static files (similar to how CDs and DVDs work), and that's a great option, but if a drive fails due to lubrication solidification, a board failure, corrosion, dropping it, whatever....another backup copy should exist (hopefully with additional recovery blocks)...but first things first: your home NAS--once that's set up and reliably running the rest will fall into place.

Last edited:
@.Mira. : How about an update on how things are going?