Guide to Building an HPE ProLiant ML10 Gen9 FreeNAS Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

bent98

Contributor
I wanted to upgrade my old FreeNAS server I built four+ years ago. After doing some research I quickly found out a lot has changed from four years ago and if you are going to build it you might as well use server vs consumer grade parts. Biggest expense is the motherboard and ECC memory. The HPE ML10 Gen9 is great value as you can get it for as little as $138 open or $179 sealed box.

Now this build is not for everyone. I strictly need a file server that will be streaming to multiple locations as once. If you are doing heavy transcoding or other workloads that require addition computing power or you need 7+ drives this build MAY not be for you.

The ML10 Gen 9 comes in three flavors:

HPE ProLiant ML10 Gen9 G4400 4GB-R 837826-001 $199

HPE ProLiant ML10 Gen9 I3-6100 4GB-R - DVDRW 866965-S01 -$138/$179

HPE ProLiant ML10 Gen9 E3-1225 v5 4GB-R 1TB 838122-S01 -$479

The biggest difference is the CPU. The I3-6100 is a no brainier at the price point.

Memory options:
HPE 8GB (1x8GB) Single Rank x8 DDR4 Memory Kit 819880-B21
HPE 8GB (1x8GB) Dual Rank x8 DDR4 Memory Kit 805669-B21
HPE 8GB (1x16GB) Dual Rank x8 DDR4 Memory Kit 805671-B21

I recommend you buy 16GB. This will allow you to put 4x16Gb=64GB Total. I purchased (1) 16Gb stick and paired it with the 4GB module that came with the system =20GB total. Matching different capacities will work as long as the memory is the same speed. I recommend you stick with HPE part numbers I provided and don't go with after market memory as it may not work well or at all.

Expanding HD in the HPE Case

You can fit five drives in the case without any mods. If you want to add a sixth you need to purchase then you need to purchase
a Hard Drive Enablement Kit - Manufacturer Part# 836739-B21. You may ask yourself if I need to spend another $40-$60 to fit a sixth hard drive does it make sense to invest the money towards new case? On top of that, the ML10 Gen 9 case is compact and doesn't allow you to add any additional fans. Since I want to ensure my hard drives are adequately cooled and I wanted to add seven drives, I sprung for a Fractal R5 case. If you want to stick with the HPE case the HD Enablement kit comes with a 5.25 to 3.5 converter, sata cable and a sata splitter to give the powersupply more connections to accommodate the extra hard drive. You will not be able to use the DVD drive as you need to use the power connection and the optical SATA on the motherboard.

hde.jpg

Displaying video for monitors that aren't Display port capable

The video card on this MB is Display Port 1.2 compliant. If your monitor isn't DP 1.2 than you need an adapter. Most adapters wont work as they are passive or are not 1.2 compliant. You need an active DP 1.2 adapters. I went with the Tripp Lite DisplayPort to VGA Adapter Active Converter Compact Displayport 1.2 DP to VGA DP2VGA 6in (P134-06N-VGA). It works flawlessly. I got it from Amazon.

Transplanting MOBO to an aftermarket Case

If you want to transfer the mobo into a new case then you should know the USB, Power button, and Power LEDs have a smaller header connector that plugs into the mother board. Since I don't care about hooking up the Power/HD LED or the front USB connectors on the case, I just needed to ensure the power connector was hooked up correctly. With the help of Lukeren, I was able to figure out how to do this. Essentially you take the Power Switch plastic housing off the new cases connector. There are two tabs on the back of the plastic power connector housing. Bend them back and slide out the two wires. Now you have to exposed metal connectors. You can either tape them up so the connectors are no exposed so they don't short against each other or get some heat shrink and cover them. The wires are usually colored red/black or white black. See pics on how to connect to the FPCONN header on the HPE motherboard. The back metal motherboard I/O plate thankfully comes right off the back of the HP case and it is a standard size. You can reuse the power supply or purchase one that has longer connectors like I did. I went with a Fractal R5 case and Seasonic Powersupply. See my config below for a breakdown.

IMG_2247.JPG
IMG_2249.JPG
IMG_2254.JPG

Adding more SATA ports

If you want to add more ports you can easily do so by installing PCI-E card. Joeschmuck recommends IOCREST/SYBA SI-PEX40062 PCI-Express 2.0 x2 Low Profile Ready SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card. This will give you 4 more ports and doesn't require any firmware flash.

Adding Link Aggregation

If you have a switch that supports LAGG and are planning to stream from multiple locations at once, you may want to add 2 or 4 port gigabit network card. I used an Intel Pro 1000PT Dual Port Gigabit PCI-e IHBA DelI l X3959

Flashing the system BIOS

This can be a PITA as you first need to log into HPE and register your server serial number. You will not be able to download the BIOS until you do so. This server DOES NOT suport ILO which means the only way to flash the bios is by installing Windows or a form on linux/unix that the HPE server supports. I installed windows 10 on a temp drive and download the bios from the Win 2012R2 section of the HPE bios download page.

BIOS Settings

Make sure you disable EFI Bios by going into, Advanced, then Enable - CMS Configuration (Compatibility Support Module Configuration), boot option filter - Select legacy only.
Also go into SATA settings and make sure its set to AHCI only. I also disabled any raid settings just in case.

My Config
HPE ProLiant ML10 Gen9 I3-6100 4GB-R - DVDRW 866965-S01 -$138
Tripp Lite DisplayPort to VGA Adapter Active Converter Compact Displayport 1.2 DP to VGA DP2VGA 6in (P134-06N-VGA). - $21.38
HPE 8GB (1x16GB) Dual Rank x8 DDR4 Memory Kit 805671-B21 -$210
SYBA SI-PEX40062 PCI-Express 2.0 x2 Low Profile Ready SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card - $37.99
SanDisk SSD PLUS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SDSSDA-120G-G26 - $59.99
7x WD Red 8TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD80EFZX - $264.99
Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Silent ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $109
SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V - $49.90 after rebate
2 x 140mm Computer Case Cooling Fan LP4 Adapter Quiet 2 Pack Rosewill - $23.98 (4 Fans)
Intel Pro 1000PT Dual Port Gigabit PCI-e IHBA DelI l X3959 - $29
Tripp Lite DisplayPort to VGA Adapter Active Converter Compact Displayport 1.2 DP to VGA DP2VGA 6in (P134-06N-VGA) - $21.69

Total System Cost = $2,554.86

For thee folks that have this server, if I missed anything or need to correct something let me know.
I hope this helps anyone who wants to get into a FreeNAS. I also wanted to thank all the really helpful people in the FreeNAS community. Without their help and expertise, I wouldn't have been able to make this thread.

fr7en.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2253.JPG
    IMG_2253.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 1,042
Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Nice posting.

So now I'm curious how much money was saved compared purchasing a Supermicro MB and similar CPU because this build was not cheap.

Lets see: X11SSM-F = $180, CPU = $120 for a total of $300. Now subtract the extras purchases that would make a difference: Display Port Adapter = $21, SATA Ports card = $38, Intel NIC = $29 for a total of $88. So it did save some money, $212. That isn't bad at all. And if someone only needed 6 or less hard drives then you could save a bit more money as you wouldn't need a new case or power supply or possibly fans. It sure seems like the ML10 is a great bang for your buck deal!

And a question:
Could you not use the original HP power supply? Did it have some sort of proprietary form/fit or other technical reason it could not be used?

Last edited by a moderator:

bent98

Contributor
In the Transplanting MOBO to an aftermarket Case section, I mentioned you can use the original HPE PS but I chose not to as It's not practical. You would have to buy more sata splitter and extenders as the leads on that PS are short for a larger case like the R5 I used.

Arie55

Dabbler
I do not think that the mentioned controller card is a good choice. In one of the older recomendations, Cyberjock mentioned that marvel based controllers sometimes works and sometimes not. And becouse of that sometimes, I desided to keep away from these ic's. Beside that, the price diference to buy a good card is 30 dollar or so. Than you have a recommended card and not 4 but 8 sata ports.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I do not think that the mentioned controller card is a good choice. In one of the older recomendations, Cyberjock mentioned that marvel based controllers sometimes works and sometimes not. And becouse of that sometimes, I desided to keep away from these ic's. Beside that, the price diference to buy a good card is 30 dollar or so. Than you have a recommended card and not 4 but 8 sata ports.
Cyberjock made a general statement that was not specific to a chipset nor a manufacturer if memory serves me correctly. In order to pick your hardware you need to look at what FreeBSD is supporting. The SATA controller I recommended is supported and is expected to remain supported until it's not and no one can tell when FreeBSD will stop supporting any chipset. But for this card, FreeBSD 11 will support it and I expect it to remain supported for several more years to come.

Now if someone wants to purchase a RAID card and flash it to IT mode, also ensuring it's the proper IT mode firmware and updating it as needed periodically (hopefully that won't happen much more like it did a few years back), and will provide some extra cooling to the board since it gets pretty hot, then that is fine. But if you only need a few more ports and would rather not fiddle around with IT mode then the IOCrest SI-PEX40062 is the card I do recommend. I'm not the only one using this card, I've recommended it to others and have not heard a single complaint.

Sorry, I got on my high horse because I don't care for generalizations to slam down a product. I believe in doing your homework as I did. If there is any evidence that my recommendation is flawed, I would sincerely like to hear it because I too use these cards and have for quite a while now and I value my data as much as the next guy.

Arie55

Dabbler
Correct, but he did wrote some experiences about this, that there are issues with marvel chips. And for me it was as a beginner enough prove to follow his lead.

And to joeschmuck, I did also did my homework. I read all of the recommendations and much more. There are some fundamentals not to do and this one was for me important enough to follow. Just also because of my not knowing what to do at that time.

The card like the one that cyberjock recommends: The IBM ServeRAID M1015, crossflashed to IT mode. And if you want to deviate from it, the word of cyberjock are burned into my brain: it is your data!

Last edited by a moderator:

bent98

Contributor
Just wanted to provide an update. I just got finshed copying 12TB from my old server and no problems thus far. I am running Smart long test on all the drives now. Looks like the IOCrest SATA is working just fine. I was also simple to install. Just popped it in the slot, hooked up sata connections and Freenas 11.0U2 detected no problem. I installed Freenas in legacy mode.

Linkman

Patron
Nice write up, thanks! I also have the i3-6100 model of the ML10 Gen9, though mine is being tasked as a ProxMox server, four HDDS and an SSD for boot, so no need for a bigger case at the moment. Nice to see someone write up the case transplant, good to bookmark for future expansion.

Q: Where did you see the ML10 Gen9 for $138 ? I'd pick up a second for "backup" at that price point.

bent98

Contributor
pcmall.com / macmall.com . Also Tigerdirect had a few.

I am so happy I put an SSD drive in as it boots so much fast and changes made to the system are immediate vs the thumb drive.
With the additional code from 9.x to 11.x boot times were getting extended a great deal. Its not the end of the world if you stick with a thumbdrive as the server will be up 99.99% of the time but when you need to troubleshoot or reconfigure something it was a PITA to wait for the reboot.... especially since I am an impatient person.

bent98

Contributor
I just checked. Looks like they dont have anymore at Tigher or Macmall. They had 18 of them 2 weeks ago. If you search for 866965-S01-OB you could find one in the future. OB at the end means open box.

Curious, if the motherboard ever goes on this and I need to replace with a super Micro, will Freenas be able to detect the new hardware and work with the existing pool?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Curious, if the motherboard ever goes on this and I need to replace with a super Micro, will Freenas be able to detect the new hardware and work with the existing pool?
Yep. Only possible issue might be a need to reconfigure the network, if the NIC on the new motherboard uses a different driver than the NIC on your current system.

Linkman

Patron
Yes.

FYI, if you keep the old case and PS, you have an excellent warranty on the Proliant. My motherboard failed (hopefully this is a rare occurrence!), and I had on-site service from HPE to swap the board, ended up with a new motherboard and processor.

SOdekirk

Cadet
bent98,
Thanks for starting this thread and sharing your build. I just ordered an ML10 Gen9 for my first FreeNAS build.
You mentioned flashing the BIOS. Is that necessary? Shouldn't I be able to just configure the BIOS without flashing it?

Thanks,
Shawn

bent98

Contributor
Does anyone know if I can put a higher end Xenon processor other than the E3-1225 v5 in this motherboard and if so what models?

dezufnoC

Cadet
Q: Where did you see the ML10 Gen9 for $138 ? I'd pick up a second for "backup" at that price point.

I know I am late to the party but I just picked mine up for $139 at Tiger Direct. Apparently they run these $30 off coupons every now and again and I was fortunate enough to see it the other day. Just waiting on my memory and drives now!

Status
Not open for further replies.