Proliant ML10 Gen 9 + FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bent98

Contributor
I just received my Proliant ML10 Gen 9. I picked up an openbox deal for $138 so I cant really complain but I had to jump through hoops to register the box before I could even access the downloads page. Anyone else out there have one who can answer the following questions:

1) Apparently if you want to upgrade the Bios you have to install windows 2012 server or a varient or that to run the BIOS updater. You cant do it via ILO and HPE SSP disk as these server doesnt support ILO! Has anyone made a windows boot disk to get around this limitation?
2) Any BIOS settings I need to change? I assume leave SATA on AHCI and disable any RAID feature.
3) I have a Intel Pro 1000PT Dual Port Gigabit PCI-e HBA Dell X3959 network card that I use in my old FreeNAS server. Any issues using it in the HP server?

Last edited by a moderator:

gpsguy

Since I'm running Server 2012 R2 on my (for the time being), that wasn't a problem. :smile:

Has anyone made a windows boot disk to get around this limitation?

Years ago, one could download firmware, drives, etc. from HP easily. Then they switched to where the device needed to be under one of their warranties in order to access the downloads. I knew about this, when I bought my ML10 Gen 9 in March?, but did so anyway, since the price (~$199) was too good to pass up.

but I had to jump through hoops to register the box before I could even access the downloads page

See this thread - https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...enovo-ts140-dell-t20.51349/page-2#post-363369

Any BIOS settings I need to change?

As I recall, it's got an Intel NIC in it now. Do you need additional ports? Adding it shouldn't be an issue.

I have a Intel Pro 1000PT

bent98

Contributor
I wanted to do a case transplant. I dont care about loosing the front USB ports as its for a FreeNAS server so I just need 2 ports on the back. My questions are as follows:

The most important thing I need to know is how to handle the FP LED CONN that powers the Front LEDs and power switch, is there a converter I can buy that converts a traditional pc case Power/Led connector to the mini one on this motherboard? I'd rather not cut anything that would void the warranty as its 2 years. IF there is such a converter, can someone please post a link to it? IF not, how are the pins wired?

Last edited by a moderator:

Redcoat

MVP
As far as connector info goes, is this of any help? It's the specs that I believe are adhered to by many of the system board manufacturers.

bent98

Contributor
The system came with 4 gigs. I ordered an additional 16 gigs. Any issue with mixing the 4gig with the 16gig for a total of 20 gigs or is mixing different size memory a no no?

Stux

MVP
If it works, it works, if it doesn't it doesn't. So try it and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.