hp proliant ml350p gen 8 or suggested hw

Chrismal

Dabbler
Hi all, I am looking for a server and found this hp Proliant ml350p gen 8. Will it work with freenas? will it pass the drives to freenas? thanks for anyone who can provide info regarding this machine, or suggestions for different hardware.

Regards

Chris

btw card is p420

Last edited:

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
You will want to replace the P420 card with a better-supported HBA (translation: an LSI model) as several users have had weird performance issues with the HP P420 even in "HBA mode" that are probably related to the FreeBSD driver for this card.

As far as if it's a good purchase - we'd need to know full specs, price, and your (general) location (US? Canada? EU?) to tell you if you're getting a good deal on it. ;)

Chrismal

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply.
Specs
x1 Intel Xeon E 52620 8 core
8GB Ram pc3l
its 250 euro
I'm in the EU. I have an HP HBA that I flashed to IT mode I am currently using on a server I build (consumer parts).

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Sorry for the delay. The RAM is a little small, but DDR3 RDIMMs are dirt cheap fattening that up wouldn't be an issue. If it's in good operational and cosmetic condition that feels like a pretty good deal; just watch for the price of the actual drive caddies if they aren't included, as those can add up quickly.

Chrismal

Dabbler
Sorry for the delay. The RAM is a little small, but DDR3 RDIMMs are dirt cheap fattening that up wouldn't be an issue. If it's in good operational and cosmetic condition that feels like a pretty good deal; just watch for the price of the actual drive caddies if they aren't included, as those can add up quickly.
Thanks will check for those. The raid controller looks to be onboard, so would have to install another, If I install Lsi in IT mode will I have to replace cables to the drives?