First NAS. First NAS Build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fr33n0zeer

Dabbler
I've been searching for a NAS solution for about a year, initially eyeing up Synology and QNAP. But these options seemed to fall short in one way or another. The consumer grade boxes tend to lack upgradability. And some features require additional licensing fees, such as with security cameras.

After reading many posts in this forum, I am looking more closely at putting together a 5 drive NAS box using the HPE ProLient ML10 Gen9 Tower Server. I've seen a couple of successful builds in this forum using this inexpensive system. And it only requires adding more RAM to meet the FreeNAS 8GB minimum, a Display Port to VGA adapter, and a 16GB flash drive, in addition to the hard drives (WD RED NAS 4TB) for data storage.

HP ProLient ML10 Gen9
16GB Kingston DDR4 ECC
Tripp Lite DP to VGA
SandDisk 16GB FD (x2)

Previously Purchased
5 WD RED 4 TB HD

Option: Replace the two flash drives for a SanDisk SSD PLUS 120GB SSD.

This system should provide more than enough storage/parity to meet my needs now and for several years to come. Does this seem like a descent entry level setup? Any changes you would recommend?

Last edited:

gpsguy

It's a great budget system. I bought one back in March.

You'll probably need 2 SATA power splitters.

upload_2017-10-3_2-0-21.png

Patrik Hansson

Explorer
Just a heads up, according to the reviews on the site:
"They use Displayport as the video out and if you try and use a Displayport to VGA adapter it won't work unless you buy the HP adapter at 3-4X the price of the others."

Inxsible

Guru
120GB SSD option, if you go for it, is way too big. Buy a 32/64GB SSD instead. Although I use a USB drive for my boot, because my board doesn't have anymore SATA ports and buying a PCIE card just for the boot drives seems like a waste to me. When providing power to the drives, try to use a molex cable and molex to SATA adapters instead of using any splitters, if possible. I don't know how many cable runs your power supply has. Is it modular/semi-modular or non-modular?

Linkman

Patron
The TrippLite adapter will work just fine - it's an Active adapter, which will work (passive will not), and I think that's the same one I'm using.

The power supply is not modular/semi-modular, and has no Molex connectors, only SATA (and perhaps a fan? can't recall). It's designed for that specific case/board/drive configuration.

Try to find crimped, not molded, adapters/splitters for safety.

fr33n0zeer

Dabbler
The power supply is not modular/semi-modular, and has no Molex connectors, only SATA (and perhaps a fan? can't recall). It's designed for that specific case/board/drive configuration.

Try to find crimped, not molded, adapters/splitters for safety.

Is this what you mean when you say "crimped"?

Inxsible

Guru
Nope. See this for more info:

Inxsible

Guru
Thanks. I hadn't realized that Molex connectors came like that. I'm used the "push-in" kind. Though I don't think this unit uses Molex.
Same applies to the SATA power cables too though.

Inxsible

Guru

gpsguy

Nothing to be nervous about. - some of us have have already blazed the trail ahead of you.

fr33n0zeer

Dabbler
Nothing to be nervous about. - some of us have have already blazed the trail ahead of you.

Ah, so very true. And for that I am thankful.

My caution is with the hope that I avoid a huge oh no data loss moment. With that in mind I’m a little concerned about missing something critical in the deployment process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linkman

Patron
Status
Not open for further replies.