HP ML10 gen9 configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex87alex

Dabbler
Hi all,
i need your help to choose the best configuration for my nas home use. Actually i have a low power configuration with centos installed, an AMD e-350, 4gb ram, 2x4tb seagate in raid-1 and 3x2tb raid-5, but now i have space problem and i decided to buy a server more powerful to transcode with plex, smb shares and last but not least i need to backup itself with snapshots. I want to try freenas and i buyed an HP ML10 Gen9 with xeon and 8gb ram. Now i want to buy other 4x4tb seagate, sell 2tb disk and buy other 16gb ram (kingston KVR21E15D8K2/16I). My plan is to use raidz-2 for all 6x4tb, i think is a balanced choise...

Is there something wrong? Is it a good configuration?

Thanks all!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hi all,
i need your help to choose the best configuration for my nas home use. Actually i have a low power configuration with centos installed, an AMD e-350, 4gb ram, 2x4tb seagate in raid-1 and 3x2tb raid-5, but now i have space problem and i decided to buy a server more powerful to transcode with plex, smb shares and last but not least i need to backup itself with snapshots. I want to try freenas and i buyed an HP ML10 Gen9 with xeon and 8gb ram. Now i want to buy other 4x4tb seagate, sell 2tb disk and buy other 16gb ram (kingston KVR21E15D8K2/16I). My plan is to use raidz-2 for all 6x4tb, i think is a balanced choise...

Is there something wrong? Is it a good configuration?

Thanks all!
Welcome to the forums! Your proposed system looks pretty good.

6 x 4TB drives in a RAIDZ2 array is a good choice; I use the same configuration on my main server. That will use all 6 SATA ports on your motherboard, so I suppose you plan on booting from a USB stick?

Good luck!

alex87alex

Dabbler
Welcome to the forums! Your proposed system looks pretty good.

6 x 4TB drives in a RAIDZ2 array is a good choice; I use the same configuration on my main server. That will use all 6 SATA ports on your motherboard, so I suppose you plan on booting from a USB stick?

Good luck!
Thx for reply!
Yes, i'm using a lexar 32gb jumpdrive s45.

The amount of ram is good? I plan to keep this configuration at least 4 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.