First NAS. First NAS Build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stux

MVP
I hope it wont be a problem for a 12 drive pool with 8 Seagates and 4 WDs?

It’ll be fine. How are you structuring the pool?

rajy3k

Cadet
It’ll be fine. How are you structuring the pool?
Earlier I was thinking about ZFS1. However after looking at the badblocks testing I am convinced about ZFS2.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Stux

MVP
12 way RaidZ1. Definitely a bad idea.

12 way RaidZ2, a little bit too wide.

rajy3k

Cadet
My bad! I meant RAIDZ2.

12 way RaidZ2, a little bit too wide.
What do you think will be the right thing then? I am not too sure that I need more than 2 disks of redundancy, however, I am a complete novice here and suggestions are welcome.

Also, on some of the disks badblocks testing is done. There is nothing other than 0 in 3 of the critical parameterers. However I am continuously getting "Failed SMART usage Attribute: 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct" message. on it. Also I am getting huge values under RAW Value field for the two categories, namely "Raw_Read_Error_Rate" and "Seek_Error_Rate". Did I do something wrong?

Stux

MVP
What do you think will be the right thing then? I am not too sure that I need more than 2 disks of redundancy, however, I am a complete novice here and suggestions are welcome.

I wouldn't use more than 10 disks in a RaidZ2 vdev.

So, you could go with 2x 6-way RaidZ2, but that will mean 4 disks of parity, which you might not like.

Also, on some of the disks badblocks testing is done. There is nothing other than 0 in 3 of the critical parameterers. However I am continuously getting "Failed SMART usage Attribute: 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct" message.

Reallocated sector count. This should not happen on a new disk, thus the disk is broken/damaged and you should RMA it.

Also I am getting huge values under RAW Value field for the two categories, namely "Raw_Read_Error_Rate" and "Seek_Error_Rate". Did I do something wrong?

Normal for Seagate drives. Seagate drives encode the total number of reads and seeks into these values.

rajy3k

Cadet
Two of the HDDs (Both Seagate IronWolf 4Tb drives) are yet to finish testing for bad blocks after 115 hours. And because of the error messages, I am not able to understand what is the progress level.

Is it normal to take so long for testing?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

dezufnoC

Cadet
Sooooooo.... getting back to the OP! I just purchased the HPE ProLiant ML10 and am now waiting for the rest of the parts to show up including the memory and drives. I read in another post about peeps adding fans to this box. Is it really necessary? I plan to have (4) 4TB WD Red drives.

Last edited:

fr33n0zeer

Dabbler
Sooooooo.... getting back to the OP! I just purchased the HPE ProLiant ML10 and am now waiting for the rest of the parts to show up including the memory and drives. I read in another post about peeps adding fans to this box. Is it really necessary? I plan to have (4) 4TB WD Red drives.

I have read that the HPE tower has poor airflow. I have five WD Red 4TB 5400 RPM drives and an SSD for the boot drive. This is the max number of drives this case can handle. And to do this I would have needed to purchase a hard drive enablement kit which cost about $70. I decided to get a Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Silent tower for $90 with free shipping and a new power supply. The Fractal Design case comes equipped with eight 3.5" drive bays, two SSD drive bays, and two 5 1/4" drive bays. And the airflow is very good with this case. It comes with two 140 mm fans, with the capacity to add a bunch more. So, that's my solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.