First NAS. First NAS Build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fr33n0zeer

Dabbler
Update: the HPE ProLiant ML10 Gen9 is scheduled for delivery on Friday. Everything else is scheduled for delivery on....Friday. Looks like I'll start putting this server together over the weekend.

fr33n0zeer

Dabbler
I am planning to install 5 WD RED NAS drives. And I was going to install a SSD for the boot FreeNAS boot drive, instead of USB flash drive. But I will have to give up the CD drive to accomplish this.

I'm having second thoughts about losing the CD drive. Do I keep the CD drive and mirror two USB flash drives for FreeNAS booting?

Or ditch the CD drive in favor of an SSD?

Inxsible

Guru
I am planning to install 5 WD RED NAS drives. And I was going to install a SSD for the boot FreeNAS boot drive, instead of USB flash drive. But I will have to give up the CD drive to accomplish this.

I'm having second thoughts about losing the CD drive. Do I keep the CD drive and mirror two USB flash drives for FreeNAS booting?

Or ditch the CD drive in favor of an SSD?
FreeNAS can be installed using a USB installation key. Once FreeNAS is installed, you probably won't have a monitor/keyboard/mouse connected to the machine. The CD drive will not be used at all !
The call is still yours.

fr33n0zeer

Dabbler
Well, the deliveries have begun:

IMG_5320.jpg

Inxsible

Guru
In part because I'm used to having one. I also planned to do the install via CD drive.
FreeNAS supports installation from a USB drive. Just use that. Why would you want to waste a CD by putting an installation iso on it?

fr33n0zeer

Dabbler
FreeNAS supports installation from a USB drive. Just use that. Why would you want to waste a CD by putting an installation iso on it?

I'll take a look at doing that. After thinking about it all, since this unit has room for only six drives including the CD, I'll definitely have to pull out the CD, so I can use the five 4TB WD NAS drives and the SSD boot drive.

Inxsible

Guru
I'll take a look at doing that. After thinking about it all, since this unit has room for only six drives including the CD, I'll definitely have to pull out the CD, so I can use the five 4TB WD NAS drives and the SSD boot drive.
If you really really want to keep the CD drive, you can buy a PCIE SATA card which can give you additional SATA ports. You could get a card with enough ports, so you can even add drives in the future. (provided your case has space, of course)

fr33n0zeer

Dabbler
If you really really want to keep the CD drive, you can buy a PCIE SATA card which can give you additional SATA ports. You could get a card with enough ports, so you can even add drives in the future. (provided your case has space, of course)

The problem is that the stock case holds up to six drives. I suppose if I were to increase the number of drives, I could get a new case, but a new power supply might be in order to handle the additional drive load.

rajy3k

Cadet
Hi,

I am a complete Newbie in this and will like some guidance and help around my first build.

I will be thankful to, if someone can help me on few things. I have copied Stux's build to create my FreeNAS server and following are my doubts:
  1. I am not able to find IBM ServeRAID M1115. Is is okay if I can use the ServeRAID M5110 Controller instead?
  2. Currently I am going in with 8x4TB HDDs. Which card should I use when I later plan to add storage and how, as I will be utilizing 8 of the 10 SATA ports now. I am planning to add 8x8TB sometime later.
  3. I will need some guidance on Cross Flashing, is it necessary?
  4. I am not sure on how the connection to the HDDs work. However from what I have seen on Stux's build post, I am assuming that the SAS to SFF-8087 cable needs to be attached to 2 of the 6 SAS ports on Norco 4224 along with SAS cable being attached to other 2 SAS ports.
  5. I am using the Norco's fan connector, however I am not able to understand which cable connects to the Pins next to Power? Am I doing this right or should I use the FAN connectors on the Motherboard?
  6. I am not too sure of using Stux's script for the fans, is it okay if I can skip it?
  7. What I have done till now is, I have attached 8 x 4TB Seagate IronWolfs to the first 2 rows of hot swappable bays (However, I am reconsidering to randomly attaching the HDDs amongst 4 rows of bays, after reading about cooling).
  8. Finally, I am a bit concerned about the operating temperature, as the NAS will be used at my home and we don't usually require/have the Air con running all the time. And on my Synology 1815+ the HDDs were continuously running at 42-45 degrees. What do I do to lower the operating temperature for the HDDs?
Current state of build:
Assembled all the parts together except for attaching the HDDs using the SAS to SFF-8087 as the cables are yet to arrive.

Norco RPC-4224 Case
Xeon E5-1650V4
Noctua NH-U9DX i4
Supermicro x10SRi-F
2x32GB Kingston DDR4-2400
8x4Tb Seagate IronWolf
ServeRAID M5110 Controller (On loan from a friend who deals in peripherals)
Corsair AX1500i (From my gaming rig, as the RM1000x was dead on arrival and under RMA)

Regards

Stux

MVP
Hi,

I am a complete Newbie in this and will like some guidance and help around my first build.

I will be thankful to, if someone can help me on few things. I have copied Stux's build to create my FreeNAS server and following are my doubts:
  1. I am not able to find IBM ServeRAID M1115. Is is okay if I can use the ServeRAID M5110 Controller instead?

I don't think the m5110 is suitable. Any LSI 2008 based card is though

1. Currently I am going in with 8x4TB HDDs. Which card should I use when I later plan to add storage and how, as I will be utilizing 8 of the 10 SATA ports now. I am planning to add 8x8TB sometime later.

Any LSI 2008 based card

1. I will need some guidance on Cross Flashing, is it necessary?
Yes, and there are lots of threads/resources on this

1. I am not sure on how the connection to the HDDs work. However from what I have seen on Stux's build post, I am assuming that the SAS to SFF-8087 cable needs to be attached to 2 of the 6 SAS ports on Norco 4224 along with SAS cable being attached to other 2 SAS ports.

Every row of HDs has one SSF-8087 connector which runs 4 drives. You use two reverse breakout cables to connect 8 mother board Sata ports to two backplane sff-8087 connectors. Then you add an LSI 2008 card which gets you another two sff8087 connectors and you hook up another 8 drives.

Then you have a choice, either get another HBA card for the last set of 8 drives, or use a sas expander instead.

1. I am using the Norco's fan connector, however I am not able to understand which cable connects to the Pins next to Power? Am I doing this right or should I use the FAN connectors on the Motherboard?

I believe you use the fan connectors on the motherboard.

1. I am not too sure of using Stux's script for the fans, is it okay if I can skip it?

Norco fans aren't PWM fans anyway, so will just run at full speed

1. What I have done till now is, I have attached 8 x 4TB Seagate IronWolfs to the first 2 rows of hot swappable bays (However, I am reconsidering to randomly attaching the HDDs amongst 4 rows of bays, after reading about cooling).
  2. Finally, I am a bit concerned about the operating temperature, as the NAS will be used at my home and we don't usually require/have the Air con running all the time. And on my Synology 1815+ the HDDs were continuously running at 42-45 degrees. What do I do to lower the operating temperature for the HDDs?

Just check the temps and go from there. If you make my airflow adjustments you should be good. The trick is to quiet the fans and still have good cooling.

Current state of build:
Assembled all the parts together except for attaching the HDDs using the SAS to SFF-8087 as the cables are yet to arrive.

Norco RPC-4224 Case
Xeon E5-1650V4
Noctua NH-U9DX i4
Supermicro x10SRi-F
2x32GB Kingston DDR4-2400
8x4Tb Seagate IronWolf
ServeRAID M5110 Controller (On loan from a friend who deals in peripherals)
Corsair AX1500i (From my gaming rig, as the RM1000x was dead on arrival and under RMA)

Regards

Bummer about the DOA PSU

Good luck

rajy3k

Cadet
Any LSI 2008 based card
Can I use the SAS9211-8I 8 Port card from LSI without the need to crosflashing, I am just assuming. SAS9211-8I 8PORT Int 6GB Sata+sas Pcie 2.0

Also, I am not able to power up the system if I connect both the 24 pin and the 8 pin connector to the MB, however with the 24 pin connected and the 8 pin removed system powers up. Any idea what is the issue.

Is it that I am having a problem with the MB??

rajy3k

Cadet
I got my Motherboard and the CPU checked at the authorised Service Center, No problems there. At the sametime, I plugged my Power Supply back to my Gaming RIG and it works fine.

However, as soon as I connect the 24 pin connector and the 8 pin connector, it doesn't power up. I am not able to identify the problem that I am facing. Can someone please guide me what is the problem?

Inxsible

Guru
I got my Motherboard and the CPU checked at the authorised Service Center, No problems there. At the sametime, I plugged my Power Supply back to my Gaming RIG and it works fine.

However, as soon as I connect the 24 pin connector and the 8 pin connector, it doesn't power up. I am not able to identify the problem that I am facing. Can someone please guide me what is the problem?
You should probably start your own thread as your build is nowhere near related to the OP @DoItMyselfToo 's ML10 based build.

rajy3k

Cadet
Well thanks for some support that I got here and some reading. Finally the I have been able to make it work.
So here is the current update:
First some bad news:
1. My corsair 1500axi conked off.
2. Currently I am doing the burnin and one of the new Seagate IronWolfs is already DEAD and other one looks to be heading to the grave.
3. There are some errors coming up every few minutes.

Coming to some of the good news
1. I got instant replacement for the 1500axi
2. I got the shipment of a long awaited WD Red 4Tb RMAs. Which takes the total count of drives to 12 (including 1 dead and 1on the way)
3. It's just 33 hours for the burnin and hopefully other drives will sustain and I have to then put in the WD Reds for a test.

I hope it wont be a problem for a 12 drive pool with 8 Seagates and 4 WDs?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.