FreeNAS setup refusing to boot - help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

taiko

Dabbler
Update.

I downloaded ufs explorer program and browsed the old freenas boot usb.

Managed to locate the config file called freenas-v1.db and backed it up to (windows 7) desktop. Sent it to my phone via usb cable.

I then fired up 8.2 and let it load all the way to the console setup page with browser address.

On my phone i accessed the address and got the GUI web console.

In settings, I attempted to upload the config now stored on phone.

"The uploaded file is not valid."

I also tried 8.3 and 8.02.

The freenas-v1.db is dated 2012 and it is 203kb in size.

Can anyone help?

Should I start a new thread?

Thanks!

danb35

Hall of Famer
It's possible that the file is corrupt on the USB stick, or that you've corrupted it by your PC -> phone -> server upload process (why?). It's a SQLite database file, though; you might want to see if you can open it with SQLite database tools on your desktop PC.

taiko

Dabbler
(why?) The reason was I was in the field with a laptop and a phone. I was setting up a server on my laptop and bringing up a browser on android. It worked, but I had that error.

I have since tried it on two linked desktop PC setups. Unfortunately, the same error occurs with the config.

Also tried DB Browser for SQLite. Asked for a password, and the data view looked like gobbledeegook of course.

i'm guessing that'll be impossible to open/recover then, or it's corrupted beyond repair and just appears encrypted?

So, I have setup a fresh Freenas 8.3 stick and I've looked over the settings and watched some videos on FreeNAS 8.

What I really need help with now is the old UFS file system I will encounter.

Is it safe to Storage>Volumes>Import Volume, bearing in mind the old drives are in UFS format (I think)? Or might they be in ZFS? How can I tell? Do I have to get the GUI up at the location or can I tell from the boot process?

What are the dangers of importing volumes I should be cautious about? I don't want to lose their data, even if encrypted. They may send off for recovery if necessary.

Will there be a password on the drives if there was a password on the boot stick config? (It may just be corrupted?)

If there is crypto on these drives, are they stuffed for their old data set? Or can I recover it for them somehow? Brute force password recovery? I don't know if the guy who set this all up originally is even alive.

So, no old config. Boot stick appears to be password protected. Drives probably in UFS, possibly encrypted. Any recommendations for me before I head to site, plugin my new stick and mess everything up?

Assuming I can access their drive data I will be setting up all the various computers that need to be attached for access - are there some standard address ranges for any aspect of the network I should use?

Looks like I'm going to be managing the setup moving forward so plenty to learn along the way.

They are also looking to upgrade the setup once it's working, so that's something to consider.

I just want to get it working for them at this stage and then plan an upgrade path later, according to their current scale and budget. I'm not sure trying to upgrade to 9, 10 or 11 would be helpful at this stage? Do you?

Thanks for your help so far, much appreciated.

taiko

Dabbler
Here is a collage of the boot process.
Boot 1 a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.