Installing FreeNAS from CD or IMG

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyrich20

Cadet
I'm having a hard time installing FreeNAS 9.2.1.2 (x64) or 9.1.1 on a Gateway DX4380-UR22. I've tried burning the iso to a CD and tried formatting a USB from the img. I cannot get the computer to recognize the CD or the USB upon boot. I've set the BIOS to boot CD/DVD first then USB and vice-versa. Additionally, I've burned a CD from the latest Ubuntu server iso and that will boot up without a problem; this indicates to me that I've got the BIOS setup correctly. I'm obviously missing something, what is it? Any help is appreciated. I've been searching online for a possible solution but haven't found one, so I'm posting here.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not all hardware is compatible with FreeBSD/FreeNAS. If your CD/USB boots elsewhere it sounds like a hardware problem. Maybe try a BIOS update if there is one.

dyrich20

Cadet
Not all hardware is compatible with FreeBSD/FreeNAS. If your CD/USB boots elsewhere it sounds like a hardware problem. Maybe try a BIOS update if there is one.

Thanks. I'll try to update. I thought it might be hardware compatibility issue, but I couldn't find info on the motherboard to check.

gpsguy

You might also try booting the FreeNAS flash drive in another computer to ensure that it is bootable. Also consider booting the CD in another computer and using it to put the OS on the flash drive.

dyrich20

Cadet
You might also try booting the FreeNAS flash drive in another computer to ensure that it is bootable. Also consider booting the CD in another computer and using it to put the OS on the flash drive.

I did test both in a another computer and they are bootable.

Yatti420

Wizard
Are you specifying UEFI instead of just normal boot option? Also the specs of that computer while they might meet minimums it doesn't have ECC etc and is a gateway.. I'd get some reviews on the psu / motherboard etc before running 247 unattended..

krikboh

Patron
Another AMD APU.

dyrich20

Cadet
Are you specifying UEFI instead of just normal boot option? Also the specs of that computer while they might meet minimums it doesn't have ECC etc and is a gateway.. I'd get some reviews on the psu / motherboard etc before running 247 unattended..

It looks like it is hardware like has been suggested in other posts. I'm going to go a different route for the computer. For future readers of this thread, Gateway DX4380-UR22, didn't work for me.

You are correct that my setup doesn't have ECC RAM and is a poor choice for a FreeNAS setup. I currently have a NAS system running (ReadyNAS NV+), I'm looking for an offsite backup for that NAS and I'm looking to learn about FreeNAS in the process. I figured I could cut that corner with ECC; I'm sorry to all of you that just sighed in disappointment at this decision. I did read https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzHapVfrocfwc3VsQ3Y0eldFTHM and a few other documents on FreeNAS. I am trying to educate myself and FreeNAS isn't quite a plug and play solution for a noob like me. I figure that this is a safer way to education myself on FreeNAS; I already have a backup system functioning and getting an offsite backup is a good practice. Please do let me know if I'm making a huge mistake here (I really am looking for feedback here), but I think it's a thoughtful choice that will help me learn in the long run. Ideally I would like eventually replace the ReadyNAS with FreeNAS (with a reliable computer with ECC), but I don't feel confident enough now to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.