First install ever, seems to install fine until reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

COskier

Cadet
I install through a USB CD drive (weirdly none of the USB sticks were working to boot the install iso, oh well, CD seemed to work). Everything seems to go OK and I get the installation successful notice:
cdrom4a.png

So I unplug the CD drive and reboot and it reboots into the classic "no boot device" screen

reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device.jpg

In my Bios I can see the USB stick I installed onto as a boot option.
Also tried this with a SSD, same result...

What went wrong? Suggestions on things to try?

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-18_14-43-6.png
    upload_2018-8-18_14-43-6.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 253

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
In my Bios I can see the USB stick I installed onto as a boot option.
yes. And did you select that as the primary boot device? What happened when you did?

Also, sir, we're going to need to know the exact make/model of the motherboard, the type of RAM installed, and so on.

pro lamer

Guru

COskier

Cadet
"And did you select that as the primary boot device? What happened when you did?"
yes, see original post. Sorry my english may not be great despite being a native speaker. Not only is the USB stick "an option" in the BIOS boot priority list, it is literally the only option in the BIOS boot priority list. It is boot device #1, boot devices #2-4 are blank as nothing else is attached to system.

"Is it a pendrive for sure?"
yes, it's for sure a USB Stick as there are no SATA devices connected at the moment. (Grabbed the screenshot from internet, might not have been "ad0" on mine, but the success message is the last step I get to following the install documentation)

build is as follows:
core I3-3220
Biostar TH61
16GB RAM
USB cd drive loaded with boot iso
wiped 32GB usb stick to install to
wiped 16GB usb stick to install to when 32GB did not boot
no SATA HDD until proven that CD can install something bootable onto the USB drive.

also, double checked the hash and it was a good iso download.

This was an older build I had running a copy of ubuntu on my downstairs tv for downstairs internet/computer access. Haven't used it in ages, but I figured this would be a good project for it. Maybe it's too old?

Last edited:

COskier

Cadet
"you need to change your boot order within your bios."

The USB stick is boot priority #1. There are no other devices listed in the boot order as there are no other devices attached. What do you suggest I change the boot order to?

wolfman81

Cadet
it depends weather you installed the using bios or UEFI.

i have recently installed freenas but when i reboot got the same message you had got so i went in the bios and to boot order and noticed UEFI OS so i selected that.
DSC_0011.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.