Backup of boot USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostwolf59

Contributor
I know that's the point you're trying to get across. You're wrong. Snapshots can happen, as I said, without any target device at all. They can happen on a schedule, or manually. Just because you have snapshots doesn't mean you have to replicate.

In order to replicate, you have to have at least one snapshot. It doesn't need to be a scheduled snapshot. Replication doesn't require the target device to be "mounted" at all, much less at all times. In fact, the GUI method of replication runs over the network via SSH--nothing is mounted. Obviously a network connection to the target is necessary when the replication is run.

If replication is done on a schedule, the target resource must be available when the replication (not the snapshot) runs. In no case is it necessary for the target resource to be available, much less connected, "at all times."

ok, why then does nas require you to setup a scheduled snapshot before you can do replication?
and... what's the point - if your target isn't there and you setup a scheduled snapshot that allow you to setup replication with no target available then what ?? and what if your backup volumes all is named the same (from a mount/cifs shares etc) ? Guess the replication would go ahead since the mounted drive matches your nominated mounted volume name - (which would be undesirable) - perhaps I am going around this whole thing the wrong way, but it works for me :)
cheers

mjws00

Guru
The GUI requires the scheduled snap because it doesn't know how to do a one-off snap.

Snapshots are literally a point in time data state you can access, almost instant to create and with very little overhead. They have many uses outside of replication. Replication is even cooler, it uses a snapshot and can pretty much stream it anywhere.

wintermute000

Explorer
What happens to jails when you restore a config to a fresh install?

Status
Not open for further replies.