Not open for further replies.

MichaelRizzi

Cadet
Hi guys,

I just built a box with the following specs: Motherboard: MSI HS81i
Processor: Pentium G3220
RAM: Kingston 2 x 4 GB
HDD: 1TB WD Blue

My problem is I'm not able to boot from USB stick. I couldn't see any errors on the screen. Is it because I use my TV as monitor? The USB was created in Windows and I followed the instructions in the documentation. The same USB stick runs well on a different PC. I tried to boot another OS (i.e. Ubuntu) using USB in my NAS box, and it worked.

I believe it has something to do with my BIOS config, but I'm not sure what. Could somebody help me with this?

Cheers,

TR

gpsguy

When you say the stick runs well on anther pc, is it booting FreeNAS? If so, that narrows it down to your new machine.

The USB was created in Windows and I followed the instructions in the documentation. The same USB stick runs well on a different PC.

Since you have a Haswell CPU, I'd read this thread. A number of user's have had problems with them and have had to make various changes to their BIOS.

MichaelRizzi

Cadet
Thanks gpsguy for your reply. The stick is booting freenas on another machine.

My stick is Sandisk Ultra Backup USB 2.0 and I plugged it into USB 2.0 socket. I've disabled USB 3.0 controller, XHCI and one other handoff in BIOS but still not able to get it working.

I'll try again tonight and see if anything comes up.

Some other comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Just so you know, I'm online with the G3220 on a newly built FreeNAS, and you'll enjoy how well the system works with such an inexpensive processor, once you get it working. Of course, I can't find your motherboard listed anywhere (I suspect you misquoted the model number), but the MSI H81 series of motherboard from MSI is not exactly of the grade/quality the guys on the forum suggest you use. :) But I am sure it'll work.

Are you booting in...what's it called....ACPI mode. I think it won't work right if you're in the "(native)IDE" mode. You might want to check that setting in the BIOS.

MichaelRizzi

Cadet
Of course, I can't find your motherboard listed anywhere (I suspect you misquoted the model number), but the MSI H81 series of motherboard from MSI is not exactly of the grade/quality the guys on the forum suggest you use. :) But I am sure it'll work.
But it's Military Class 4 :(.

ACPI Mode? errr... I'm not sure, but I'll look for that in my BIOS setting.

Thanks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
ACPI = AHCI. Someone confused their acronyms. :)

And as a former military person I can tell you that I've never heard of "military class 4" with regards to non-classified hardware. And the stuff that was "class 4" wouldn't apply for what I will only say is "obvious" reasons.

Honestly, it sounds like a cubic boatload of marketing to me. I couldn't find any link explaining what "class 4" means in Google. But I did find that MSI's parts passed MIL STD 810G. And those specs aren't exactly that big of a deal. I'd bet that every tier-one and tier-two manufacturer's motherboards will pass 810G with flying colors. Most of it relates to high pressures(and vacuum), temperatures, etc. Nothing that you'll see in your home. So why care?

But, it looks like MSI did get a sale since you seem to be sold hook, line, and sinker. :)

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
ACPI = AHCI. Someone confused their acronyms. :)
:)

Right AHCI. Jesus, sorry about that.

You should find it somewhere with the SATA settings. Every motherboard has it, and I seem to recall reading elsewhere that you do have to boot in AHCI mode for FreeNAS. Here's a page that explains some of the fundamental differences.

MichaelRizzi

Cadet
Thanks,

My SATA is in AHCI mode.

Finally I got the box up and running. The combination of not having a monitor and a 'Military Class' mobo with a non-supoorted NIC really gives me a massive headache.
Sigh...

Anyway this is how I did it, it's in the forum thread somewhere I just compiled it:
1. Prep a USB stick.
2. Since I don't have monitor, I plugged my USB into my laptop and let it boot.
3. My laptop was connected to DHCP so the IP was assigned automatically.
4. Get access to the GUI and create a tunable (System > Tunables) add new variable: xhci_load with value: no
5. Install Realtek 8111G driver. Detail can be found here: http://forums.freenas.org/threads/realtek-8111g.14479/#post-81150
6. Shutdown FreeNAS
7. Disable xHCI in BIOS (I disabled my EHCI as well)
8. Plug the USB in FreeNAS box and keep your fingers crossed, hope it'll boot.
9. To know whether my FreeNAS was successfully booted, I checked my DHCP lease.
10. Since I want to have a static IP, and I don't have direct access to console, I went to GUI. Add a new interface.

And there you have it.

Thanks people for leading me to the right direction.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Just for the record, my television has a VGA port on it. I used that to display my FreeNAS during the build. Most tv's from the past many years would have that.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
That's odd...

Status
Not open for further replies.