Can I retrieve configuration file from dying USB boot stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

esamett

Patron
My out of state friend has a Free NAS box I helped him build a couple of years ago running FN 8x or early 9.x. It recently stopped working, failing to complete the boot process. I suspect his USB boot drive is failing. I don't think he ever backed up the configuration or performed any updates.

1. Presuming the configuration file is still intact on the USB stick, how do I find it and how can I use it to restore his system using a new USB stick?

2. Would the config file be compatible with FN 9.,3 or do I have to use his original build?

Thanks.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I'm not sure if I can really help you here, but with some searching of the forum
I have found consistant reference to this statement regarding a failed flash drive
and an attempted recovery of the config file:
The config file is accessible by the command line here: /data/freenas-v1.db

PLEASE NOTE:
This may not be the correct location of the file as your friends version
of FreeNAS is out of date and/or unknown. Also it is my understanding
that the config file is on the pool drives and NOT the boot drive!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If the device is still mountable, your favorite Unix-like OS should be able to get any files that are still apparently intact. I don't know where the config file used to be, but it's definitely possible to retrieve it, if it still exists.

Upgrade path really depends on the version. A straight upgrade to 9.3 will probably break things.

gpsguy

As BigDave said, the config is named freenas-v1.db. It's on the 4th partition of the boot device.

As EricLoewe said, a straight upgrade from an unknown version to 9.3 isn't advisable. If someone were using say, 8.2, we'd recommend smaller steps like 8.2 -> 8.32 -> 9.1 ... Once one got up to 9.2.1.9 then consider the jump to 9.3.

Does your friend have adequate hardware and at least meet the minimum RAM requirements? When reinstalling on a new flash drive, I'd suggest either an 8 or 16GB flash drive, so that if/when your friend goes to 9.3 the device will be large enough.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Detail I forgot:

The config file may be unusable, even if it still exists. Keep that in mind, should problems arise.

Another advantage ZFS boot devices have, not having to guess about corruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.