Boot USB stick has failed and I cannot find any saved configs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

geronimo1958

Contributor
I need to recreate my boot usb stick.

First question: Should I stick with the version (9.3) I was using or should I go with 9.10?

Second question: Once I have FREENAS running again do I just import the existing volumes and start the task of rebuilding my configuration (users/shares) manually?

For the life of me I cannot figure out how I deleted my saved configurations.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Do you have a recent saved config file?

If you do then all you have to do is create a new bootable USB and then upload your config file. No need to be exporting or importing volumes.

geronimo1958

Contributor
I cannot find any of my saved config files. I know I made a few the last time I made changes to the system but I cannot ind them now.

I have searched my main computer for any .db files and none of the are related to FREENAS.

geronimo1958

Contributor
If you had asked me before this happened I would have sworn I had a backup on my dropbox.

The problem has now morphed into an inability to get FREENAS to even install on a new USB stick. The problem may be hardware related.

melloa

Wizard
If you had asked me before this happened I would have sworn I had a backup on my dropbox.

The problem has now morphed into an inability to get FREENAS to even install on a new USB stick. The problem may be hardware related.

I've been there and had to reconfigure all, so not a fun time ahead. Hopefully your pool is intact and you can import after installation. Amazing work from the FN developers I must say. I had reinstalled FN on a new USB flash and imported my pool several times.

Save your old boot flash and try to confirm you have a hardware problem by installing a fresh FN on another one. After that you might be able just to import your pool.

geronimo1958

Contributor
The problem began a few days ago when I had a system freeze. Had been using the data on my FREENAS and when I went to shutdown the system I could not access the WebGUI. I had to just turn the system off.

Now I cannot even get FREENAS to install to a new USB. The boot occurs normally but I never get a chance to select the device on which to install FREENAS. BIOS sees the USB stick to which I want to install. I even put two destination USB sticks (both of which are seen by the BIOS) and I still get no selection menu.

Weird.

nojohnny101

Wizard
One problem at a time. Can you outline what steps you have taken to get a new USB install up and running? The manual is fairly straightforward on this as even provides solutions to common problems that occur during preparing install media.

geronimo1958

Contributor
I downloaded the ISO (both 9.3 and 9.10). Burned both to 4GB USB sticks. Had to use rufus since the recommended DVD/USB tool from Microsoft gave an error of invalid iso file.

geronimo1958

Contributor
I went back to the old Win32DiskImager program and the usb stick it created is now preforming an install.

Hopefully everything will go a little smoother now.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Ok. If you can get a new install up and running, you might have stored your config file on your pool somewhere. I would start looking there once you import your existing pool and setup a simple share to access your datasets. Or you could just use the CLI and not bother setting up the shares if you know how to navigate that way.

geronimo1958

Contributor
Got the volume imported and a basic share. Looking for a config file.

Status
Not open for further replies.