Upgrading to 9.3......

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoltronix

Cadet
As you may have gathered i'm very, very new to FreeNAS. Although I can setup shares and jails etc, my problem is a venture into the unknown and I can't afford for things to go wrong as I could end up losing around 5tb of data.

For over a year my FreeNAS system has been running very stable, however today it appears my motherboard has failed. I was running FreeNAS 9.2.1.8 and luckily I have a copy of the config file saved in a safe place.

My question is can I setup FreeNAS 9.3 as a new install on a larger 32gb USB bootable drive as my previous USB boot drive was only 4gb without affecting the data stored on the 3 drives in a 7tb pool, and then import the 9.2.1.8 config into FreeNAS 9.3 without any problems?

Sorry if this question has been answered before, but I have searched and can't take the risk with the data.

Regards

Lee

zoltronix

Cadet
Forgot to mention my setup is

Gigabyte GA990XA-UD3
AMD FX4150
16GB RAM
3 x 4TB WD Red's
4gb usb boot drive, soon to be 32gb

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Yes ;)

But since you have 3 drives I can guess you're using RAID-Z1 and from the data size I can guess you're using drives that are bigger than 1TB. The thing is: RAID-Z1 with drives bigger than 1TB are not recommended.

So if you can't afford to loose your data: first do some backup regularly and second add a drive to use RAID-Z2 ;)

zoltronix

Cadet
I'm not sure how the drives are allocated, when I set the system up initially FreeNAS recommended the current setup for me.

I'm certain their is some redundancy in the system as their is 12tb from the 3 drives, but only around 7.4tb available or am I missing something? I thought I could lose 1 drive, but obviously not 2.

Or is what you are saying I can afford to lose 1 drive, but when it comes to replacing the failed drive there is a chance I could have a 2nd failure of an existing drive when integrating the new drive into the existing pool?

Adding another drive isn't a problem, but can a raid-z1 pool be changed to raid-z2 without data loss?

Last edited:

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Or is what you are saying I can afford to lose 1 drive, but when it comes to replacing the failed drive there is a chance I could have a 2nd failure of an existing drive when integrating the new drive into the existing pool?

Exactly. The problem is that with drives bigger than 1TB the chances to have a read error on another drive is pretty high and with RAID-Z1 you don't have enough parity to correct it. If the error is in metadata you can lose the whole pool...

Adding another drive isn't a problem, but can a raid-z1 pool be changed to raid-z2 without data loss?

Unfortunately no, you need to copy the data elsewhere, delete the current pool, recreate a new pool and copy the data back. But it shouldn't be a problem as you should have the space needed for at least one backup elsewhere.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is that hardware config with your dead motherboard? If so, that will give you the opportunity to upgrade to recommended hardware. Consult the hardware recommendations thread for details.

Status
Not open for further replies.