FreeNAS 8.3.2-RELEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.
FreeNAS 9.x has been getting a lot of our attention lately, and quite frankly it is loaded with features that FreeNAS 8.x can't match, however there were a couple of things left over in FreeNAS 8.3.1-p2 that we wanted to get fixed.

We have fixed those things and rolled a FreeNAS 8.3.2-RELEASE. It's available on Sourceforge now and is linked from the FreeNAS.org download page.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Congrats!

J

jpaetzel

It's the last planned release. There are a couple of things that could cause another 8.x release.

1) A hideous bug is discovered in FreeNAS 8.3.2. The sort of bug that destroys all your data, eats your cookie, punches your teddy bear in the eye and has a messy relationship with your sister. We don't see this as likely given where 8.x is in it's lifecycle, but if it came up tomorrow we'd analyze and fix it.

2) A major security flaw is discovered. The sort that gives you remote unauthenticated root access or something. This is tbe more likely of the two scenarios that would cause another release.

We haven't released an EOL for 8.3.2 where a discovery that met either 1 or 2 would not be officially addressed by iXsystems. I expect that will happen sooner than later and the timeframe won't be horrifically long. That being said I and several other people on the project are open source contributors and FreeNAS is not just a job but a labor of love.

So no promises yet. :)

Avarae2200

Dabbler
Hehe. Thank you for the special informations on that ;) I just asked because in the roadmap I saw a planned 8.3.1-p3 release and was a little bit confused when 8.3.2 was released. Just updated my system, looks very stable so far :) Keep on the good work guys!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Status
Not open for further replies.