FreeNAS 9.2.1-RC (Release Candidate) now ready for download

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jkh

Howdy, folks!

The FreeNAS development team is proud to announce the first Release Candidate image of FreeNAS 9.2.1! Barring the finding of any significant problems, this is essentially 9.2.1 RELEASE. We will, of course, fix any "release blocker" problems that people find over the next 10 days (we would like to release 9.2.1 on February 7th, all else permitting) so please test this as heavily as you can. We are also running it in production on our own servers, so we take "release candidate" pretty seriously!

That said, please take all the usual precautions when running pre-release software of any kind - make appropriate backups, don't risk anyone's data but your own, etc and so forth!
Please feel free to file bugs against this build, taking care to note in your bug report that you saw it in 9.2.1-RC and also note the datestamp of the build, since we will continuing to release 9.2.1-RC nightly builds and it’s otherwise very hard to tell which build you saw the problem in if you don’t tell us.
Please download it now and check it out!
Thanks,

The FreeNAS Development Team

Release notes:
  • Samba (SMB/CIFS support) upgraded to version 4.1.4. This adds support for SMB3, the ability for FreeNAS to be a Windows Domain Controller, and advanced features like server-side copy support in Windows 2012 and later, along with multiple years worth of improvements over the version of Samba that shipped in 9.2.0. It also enables SMB protocol version 3. Previous versions of FreeNAS limited samba to SMB2 because of random crashes that would occur using SMB3.
  • Added the LSI 12G SAS driver as a module to the build. This can be enabled by adding a tunable for mpslsi3_load with a value of YES. This driver is still under development and not yet committed to FreeBSD. It is provided for beta testing only. For production use please consider using a 6G SAS adapter, such as the LSI 9207.
  • Fixed a bug with netatalk that prevented share browsing from working in the finder on OSX. Also enabled options for fuller-fidelity AFP copies with Mac OS ACLs (ACEs) now stored as ZFS ACLs.
  • Remove the non functional share password field from AFP shares.
  • Switched from Avahi to mDNSResponder for Zeroconf network configuration, improving the Mac share browsing experience.
  • Brought back the FreeNAS 8.x volume manager as a "Manual Setup" option. This volume manager allows manual vddv building and offers no seatbelts. Unless you know exactly what you are doing and why you are doing it, using the standard volume manager is highly recommended by the development team!
  • Made some changes to reporting graphs that segregates reports by type, one type per tab. Add graphs that show individual disk activity.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented building an encrypted volume using multi path devices.
  • Update django (used by the WebUI) to 1.6 and dojo to 1.9.2
  • Add the following ZFS features: enabled_txg hole_birth, extensible_dataset, bookmarks
  • Add trafshow to the image. This utility gives a CLI view of connections and usage to the FreeNAS box.
  • Fix kernel module load for fuse. This is needed for importing NTFS volumes.
  • Add the ability to use a keytab for AD joins. This eliminates the need to use the AD Administrator account to join FreeNAS to AD, closing a long standing issue of needing the AD Admin password in the FreeNAS configuration database.

Dennis.kulmosen

Explorer
I bow for you in awe. :smile:
It is absolutely amazing how you all has developed FreeNAS from the UFS based system to this really powerfull ZFS based system. The last couple of month has brought us a long waited overhaul of the AFP (netatalk) and now Samba. So cool.
I will beginn testing later this day. :smile:

emk2203

Guru
Unfortunately, the error I reported here in the forum for the beta is not fixed. 25 shared datasets, only 12 show up over network, none of them allows login with functioning credentials.

I don't really know how to report this (what data do you need, what system reports...), apart from telling you here (AGAIN!) in the forum.

ThreeDee

Guru
Just a simple setup mainly for PMS .. working good .. my 5 year old will let me know if there are any problems though o_O

warri

Guru
Unfortunately, the error I reported here in the forum for the beta is not fixed. 25 shared datasets, only 12 show up over network, none of them allows login with functioning credentials.

I don't really know how to report this (what data do you need, what system reports...), apart from telling you here (AGAIN!) in the forum.

Use the bug tracker to report this, otherwise it might not reach the developers at all.

raidflex

Guru
Great job Freenas team! I was wondering if the fix for updating the Plex or related plugins was committed? I did not see the bug anymore under 9.2.1 RC or 9.2.1 release.

emk2203

Guru
Use the bug tracker to report this, otherwise it might not reach the developers at all.

Good advice. I wanted more info on what logs to supply with the report, but I reported now to get the ball rolling.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Great job guys (and girls?)!! Will upgrade tonight. :)

J

jkh

What's the bug# for this one? Not ringing any bells. As I have said many times, and say in every announcement, if you have a bug to report, use the bug tracker. The forum is definitely not the place to report bugs - we barely have enough time to even glance through the forums these days (too busy fixing bugs!) and certainly won't spot such reports here.

If it's not in the bug tracker, it works perfectly. :)

J

jkh

Great job Freenas team! I was wondering if the fix for updating the Plex or related plugins was committed? I did not see the bug anymore under 9.2.1 RC or 9.2.1 release.

Yep, the primary fix is actually in the plugin itself, though the plugin updater also now is savvy enough to unmount all the data sets before applying the upgrade. Speeds things up a lot in our testing and makes things less fragile as well.

fracai

Guru
What's the bug# for this one? Not ringing any bells. As I have said many times, and say in every announcement, if you have a bug to report, use the bug tracker. The forum is definitely not the place to report bugs - we barely have enough time to even glance through the forums these days (too busy fixing bugs!) and certainly won't spot such reports here.

If it's not in the bug tracker, it works perfectly. :)
Looks like: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4042
And previously referenced here: http://forums.freenas.org/threads/freenas-9-2-1-beta-now-ready-for-download.17753/#post-95778

Yatti420

Wizard
Thanks.

Edit: My NFS shares (mounted ubuntu wireless) aren't having issues anymore playing audio in WINE/Foobar 1.3.1.. Hasn't stopped playback once yet.. Nvm.. Can't trust wireless lol..

Edit #2: Were any changes made affecting NFS?

Cosmo_Kramer

Contributor
I tried this in a VM and IE11 issues have been fixed. I did notice that the Shell through the webgui was a bit finicky but I don't know if that is IE11 or just because its in a VM.

Sir.Robin

Guru
The GUI changes for Reporting and Volume manager is very welcome :)

benamira

Explorer
Fantastic news!! thanks for your work!!
I can not wait to the final release. :)
Downloading and going to test in a few minutes.

emk2203

Guru
I had a
Code:
kern.maxfiles limit exceeded
with the RC. Had to restart, let's see if it was a one-time occurrence.

Dennis.kulmosen

Explorer
I am also seeing some weird behaviour in AFP. Its very unstable, just updated to the latest nightly to see if that helps.
Otherwise i Will report bug with the AFP part. SMB is running okey, but also has some weird behaviour.
I am running it in a all Mac environment. Different OSX versions. From 10.7-10.9

J

jkh

I am also seeing some weird behaviour in AFP. Its very unstable, just updated to the latest nightly to see if that helps.
Otherwise i Will report bug with the AFP part. SMB is running okey, but also has some weird behaviour.

It would really help to have more details on these sorts of posts than "weird behavior". That's sort of like saying "something's broken" - the developers are left scratching their heads and asking: Weird how? Broken how? Details! We need specific descriptions! Thanks. :)

emk2203

Guru
It would really help to have more details on these sorts of posts than "weird behavior". That's sort of like saying "something's broken" - the developers are left scratching their heads and asking: Weird how? Broken how? Details! We need specific descriptions! Thanks. :)

I can understand the frustration, but let's take my example. I had some activity from Transmission, nothing else, and was just trying to copy some files, when the machine got unresponsive and the GUI showed this "kern.maxfiles limit exceeded." This repeated more and more, from the Transmission User ID 921 and another one from 817 which is btsync, while the system got slower and slower. After a while, not even a local console login was possible, system just didn't react. I had to reboot.

Would you really want to see this in a bug report, without any log or the option to reproduce since it was rebooted? I think it is worth mentioning here so people are alerted. If it happens to someone else, maybe they can quickly do a dmesg -a when they still have the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.