First ALPHA release image of 9.2.1 now available at http://cdn.freenas.org/9.2.1/ALPHA/20131225

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jkh

Hi folks,
Happy Holidays!
Now that 9.2.0-RELEASE is behind us, we’re already hard at work on 9.2.1, which is currently (as per custom) now in ALPHA status. Since we want the development community to have full and unfettered access to the development process, we’re going to start releasing nightly builds which pass our most basic sanity checks. That’s it though. Just *basic* checks. You should run any ALPHA (or for that matter BETA or even RC) build at your own risk, and on non-mission-critical data, since it obviously has not been fully polished yet and may suffer from any number of issues!
What’s new in this build:
  • Samba3 has been updated to Samba4. This may seem like a big jump for 9.2.1, but we’ve actually been sitting on it for awhile, it just didn’t make the cut for 9.2.0. We feel fairly confident that now is a good time to actually drag Samba into the 21st century since Samba4 has been out for a very long time and has a number of improvements to offer for CIFS sharing, among other features we may choose to expose as we look at how to present UI for it.
  • NFS + ZFS performance changes, making NFS and ZFS play more nicely together and noticeably improve SPEC benchmark results.
  • Miscellaneous bugs that didn’t make the cut-off for 9.2.0
Bugs currently filed against 9.2.1 can be found here: https://bugs.freenas.org/projects/freenas/issues?query_id=13
Please feel free to file bugs against this build, taking care to note in your bug report that you saw it in 9.2.1-ALPHA and also note the datestamp of the build, since we will be releasing them almost nightly and it’s otherwise very hard to tell which build you saw the problem in if you don’t tell us!
Enjoy,
- The FreeNAS Development Team

Reactions: cmh

emk2203

Guru
I would be even more happy to see server-side copy functionality with Samba 4 - will Samba 4 be 4.1.0 or greater?

EDIT to clarify (from the Samba wiki):

Samba 4.1.0 was the first release to ship with support for server-side copy operations via the SMB2 FSCTL_SRV_COPYCHUNK request. Clients making use of server-side copy support, such as Windows Server 2012, can experience considerable performance improvements for file copy operations, as file data need not traverse the network. This feature is enabled by default on the smbd file server.

Cosmo_Kramer

Contributor
Hello,
Is there any chance IE11 functionality will be fixed on the webgui? I'd love to see this as I'd like to be able to access the webgui via my Surface 2 while I am away, just in case I need to perform maintenance on my server.
Everything appears smooth when on IE11 except when I open a "subwindow", such as when I decrypt my HDD. On these "subwindows", all the check boxes work but the OK button doesn't process or do anything.

Thanks for all of your work and time on this project. I hope you all have a great new year.

AgentZero

Dabbler
Pardon my ignorance of Samba (and BSD in general) but does Samba 4 improve any of the permission and ACL oddities present when using CIFS on FreeNAS\BSD? For example more than just user\group permissions on directories\shares, adding computer accounts to permissions, multiple permission sets etc. Thanks for the update!

Dusan

Guru
Pardon my ignorance of Samba (and BSD in general) but does Samba 4 improve any of the permission and ACL oddities present when using CIFS on FreeNAS\BSD? For example more than just user\group permissions on directories\shares, adding computer accounts to permissions, multiple permission sets etc. Thanks for the update!
What oddities exactly? I'm able to set multiple user/group permissions for the same file/directory even in FreeNAS 9.2. You just need to do the setup from the Windows client as stated in the documentation (http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Volumes#Setting_Permissions). Alternatively you can adjust the ACLs in the CLI via the setfacl command.

JaimieV

Guru

Dusan

Guru
Does rolling in support for the extensible_dataset feature (https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/3814) mean what I hope it means?
I don't think so. It is a tiny modification that changes how some internal ZFS data structures can be used. It doesn't have any effect at the moment, it is there so that other (future) features can use it. It has nothing to do with being able to extend vdevs -- if that is what you hoped it means.

JaimieV

Guru
Thought that was too good to be true! I couldn't find a clear explanation of the flag's actual meaning anywhere, thanks for the reply.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
NFSv4 is going to be implemented after 9.2.1 according to my inside info. Right now the focus is bug fixes and Samba4.

johwes

Dabbler
  • NFS + ZFS performance changes, making NFS and ZFS play more nicely together and noticeably improve SPEC benchmark results.
What are the "performance changes" is it any settings we can apply to 9.2 ? becuse i have very bad write performance on nfs in 9.2 even with ssd zil.

/
J

emk2203

Guru
NFSv4 is going to be implemented after 9.2.1 according to my inside info. Right now the focus is bug fixes and Samba4.

Do you know if Samba4 is Samba equal or greater 4.1? I really need server-side copy offload...

Status
Not open for further replies.