FreeNAS 11.2 new GUI suggestions and discussion thread

diskdiddler

Wizard
This is occurring in 2 browsers.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I know this is a discussion of the new UI, but here is something I see in both the old and new UI:
upload_2018-3-19_20-21-54.png

How do we populate the Enclosure Slot column of the View Disks table?
My system reports that data in the command line:
Code:
> ses1: da19,pass21: SAS Device Slot Element: 1 Phys at Slot 19
> ses0:  phy 0: parent 5001c4500095d8bf addr 5001c4500095d893
> ses0: da25,pass27: Element descriptor: 'Slot 020'
> ses1: da30,pass32: Element descriptor: 'Slot 020'
> ses0: da25,pass27: SAS Device Slot Element: 1 Phys at Slot 20
> ses1: da30,pass32: SAS Device Slot Element: 1 Phys at Slot 20
> ses0:  phy 0: parent 5001c4500095d8bf addr 5001c4500095d894
> ses0: da29,pass31: Element descriptor: 'Slot 021'
> ses1: da26,pass28: Element descriptor: 'Slot 021'
> ses0: da29,pass31: SAS Device Slot Element: 1 Phys at Slot 21
> ses1: da26,pass28: SAS Device Slot Element: 1 Phys at Slot 21
> ses0:  phy 0: parent 5001c4500095d8bf addr 5001c4500095d895
> ses0: da18,pass20: Element descriptor: 'Slot 022'
> ses1: da22,pass24: Element descriptor: 'Slot 022'
> ses0: da18,pass20: SAS Device Slot Element: 1 Phys at Slot 22
> ses1: da22,pass24: SAS Device Slot Element: 1 Phys at Slot 22
> ses0: da17,pass19: Element descriptor: 'Slot 023'
> ses1: da20,pass22: Element descriptor: 'Slot 023'
> ses0: da17,pass19: SAS Device Slot Element: 1 Phys at Slot 23
> ses1: da20,pass22: SAS Device Slot Element: 1 Phys at Slot 23
Why doesn't it populate here? I would do it manually but there doesn't appear to be a way to do it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Good question.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The new UI is making progress, however I agree that the real estate is not used wisely, and/or scripting/browser problems are plaguing the operation of the UI.
I use pfSense 2.4 as my firewall/Router. I like the simplicity of the design, the consistency of layout and most of all, a Dashboard I can customize. The ability to choose the widget, place/order it to my liking and also have the ability to customize how the widget looks/works. Widgets like traffic graphs are real-time; not only adding "sizzle" but can be informative when reviewing current system performance/load.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Attachments

• 2018-03-20_23-34-42.jpg
    2018-03-20_23-34-42.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 387
  • 2018-03-20_23-26-07.jpg
    2018-03-20_23-26-07.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
I just came across the netdata service in v11.1-U3. This is the type of real time reporting that should be in the UI. From basic stats like Network, Disk CPU activity, SMART data, connected sessions, VM stats (see Veeam).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Reporting is going to be overhauled later, possibly around 11.3.

diskdiddler

Wizard
How so? Current reporting in old UI is very nice, reliable. If lacking a couple of small things (disk temp)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
How so? Current reporting in old UI is very nice, reliable. If lacking a couple of small things (disk temp)
It's rigid and hard to integrate with other things. The information gathered won't change much, apart from some additions, but some might end up condensed.

garym

Dabbler
The new UI is making progress, however I agree that the real estate is not used wisely, and/or scripting/browser problems are plaguing the operation of the UI.
I use pfSense 2.4 as my firewall/Router. I like the simplicity of the design, the consistency of layout and most of all, a Dashboard I can customize. The ability to choose the widget, place/order it to my liking and also have the ability to customize how the widget looks/works. Widgets like traffic graphs are real-time; not only adding "sizzle" but can be informative when reviewing current system performance/load.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I've just had a look at FreeNAS 11.1 U4 after staying away for a long time. I can't believe how bad the new UI is as far as errors and design goes. Maybe it's time for the designers to use Synology's DSM 6 for a while and get to learn how a GUI is made to function and look good at the same time.
A quick scan shows that the moderator hasn't moved past FreeNAS 9.10.2-U5, truth in advertising at it's finest.
I'll check back in about a year, with luck I might see something that looks good and works well. Still shaking head in disbelief.

brando56894

Wizard
Check out a nightly release before you complain about something that is clearly stated as being in beta, it never ceases to amaze me how people continually shit on something that is in development, expecting it to be perfect. It happened continually with Corral and it is still happening. If you like Synology's DSM so much keep using it, I see no glaring issues with the new UI that results in catastrophic failure, I think it looks great and is going to be miles better than the current UI. Sure some things are broke, but that happens when you're building stuff from scratch. The devs have stated that 11.1 is for getting all the "base" features working, 11.2 will be all about the new UI, and 11.3 will be all about IOcage, Docker, and the new plugins.

If you hate the new UI so much, why don't you help redesign it or provide some useful input other than "Wow the new UI sucks!! Synology's DSM is totally bad ass and the devs should steal the design they have!"

I see no reason why you're bashing a mod, or using one person's preference as proof of your opinion. It's ridiculous.

Please, leave for a year, or more, we don't need your ridiculous negativity here.

garym

Dabbler
Check out a nightly release before you complain about something that is clearly stated as being in beta, it never ceases to amaze me how people continually crap on something that is in development, expecting it to be perfect. It happened continually with Corral and it is still happening. If you like Synology's DSM so much keep using it, I see no glaring issues with the new UI that results in catastrophic failure, I think it looks great and is going to be miles better than the current UI. Sure some things are broke, but that happens when you're building stuff from scratch. The devs have stated that 11.1 is for getting all the "base" features working, 11.2 will be all about the new UI, and 11.3 will be all about IOcage, Docker, and the new plugins.

If you hate the new UI so much, why don't you help redesign it or provide some useful input other than "Wow the new UI sucks!! Synology's DSM is totally bad ass and the devs should steal the design they have!"

I see no reason why you're bashing a mod, or using one person's preference as proof of your opinion. It's ridiculous.

Please, leave for a year, or more, we don't need your ridiculous negativity here.

Looks like someone has been waiting to long for a non beta GUI, yes that would put one on edge. The point being, that after this length of time the GUI should be much better in all respects. I'm sure it will be, in time. I agree, the current interface is crap and the new one is needed. I did like where Corral was headed, and it looked promising, so I don't need to design it for FreeNAS because they don't seem to know a good design when they had one. Like any product, you look, you try it, if it fits you buy it. Some products are never ready for prime time, and that is sad. I would like to love FreeNAS as much as you do but it doesn't seem as that will happen soon. I still wish FreeNAS well and will be willing to try it when it's out of "beta". Relax life is short.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Looks like someone has been waiting to long for a non beta GUI,
It's been in development for roughly a year now. These things take time, especially since the API needed to be reworked simultaneously.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I'm messing with this for testing (nightly) - I'm going to almost 100% assume that making a bug entry "how the heck do we paste into a console session, without the old paste button" would be marked as redundant, right? Surely someone else has brought this up?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm going to almost 100% assume that making a bug entry "how the heck do we paste into a console session, without the old paste button" would be marked as redundant, right?
I'd expect that, in the time it took to post this, you could have searched the bug reports yourself for an answer. But the last time I tried it, it was simply your OS's mechanism to paste--Edit/Paste, right-click/paste, command-V on a Mac, etc. Edit: and on the nightly I just installed, that continues to work as expected.

Last edited:

Brezlord

Contributor
Could someone please tell me what blocked means on a bug report Bug #28738? This is still an issue on the latest build of the nightly (FreeNAS-11-MASTER-201804060352). There is no way to access the Active Directory users/groups from with in the new GUI and when you switch to the old GUI you can access them but when you save the permissions on an data set to an AD user/group and then go back in to check it's back to root/wheel. There is no way to set AD permissions in the new or old GUI.

Kind Regards,
Simon

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm messing with this for testing (nightly) - I'm going to almost 100% assume that making a bug entry "how the heck do we paste into a console session, without the old paste button" would be marked as redundant, right? Surely someone else has brought this up?
There was definitely a ticket for that.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I'd expect that, in the time it took to post this, you could have searched the bug reports yourself for an answer. But the last time I tried it, it was simply your OS's mechanism to paste--Edit/Paste, right-click/paste, command-V on a Mac, etc. Edit: and on the nightly I just installed, that continues to work as expected.

This does not work on my PC, at all. Windows 10, chrome. Latest nightly.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Could someone please tell me what blocked means on a bug report Bug #28738? This is still an issue on the latest build of the nightly (FreeNAS-11-MASTER-201804060352). There is no way to access the Active Directory users/groups from with in the new GUI and when you switch to the old GUI you can access them but when you save the permissions on an data set to an AD user/group and then go back in to check it's back to root/wheel. There is no way to set AD permissions in the new or old GUI.

Kind Regards,
Simon

I THINK it means, it's being worked on but it's blocked / can't progress until something else is fixed, don't fret, it'll be done.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler