FreeNAS 11.2 new GUI suggestions and discussion thread

danb35

Hall of Famer
maybe it isn't intuitive.
No, probably isn't intuitive to do paste the same way it's done in literally every other application (though in fairness, it didn't work that way in the shell in the old web GUI, hence having a separate paste button).

ThreeDee

Guru
in the new beta UI .. I do not see that like in the old UI .. in Firefox or Chrome .. no "edit" to paste when working in the shell (well, just says "paste" in old UI). Seeing an edit button when pulling up the shell in the beta UI would be very intuitive .. online help says to use Firefox because things might not display correctly in Chrome, so I did and I still don't see an edit button

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
in the new beta UI .. I do not see that like in the old UI .. in Firefox or Chrome .. no "edit" to paste when working in the shell (well, just says "paste" in old UI). Seeing an edit button when pulling up the shell in the beta UI would be very intuitive .. online help says to use Firefox because things might not display correctly in Chrome, so I did and I still don't see an edit button
Try pressing the Alt-e key combo and then press p.

ThreeDee

Guru
I either get a "p" .. or the ":" depending on if I am holding down Alt-e while pressing p or not. In Internet Explorer and can just simply right click and paste.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I either get a "p" .. or the ":" depending on if I am holding down Alt-e while pressing p or not. In Internet Explorer and can just simply right click and paste.
The instructions I gave were for FireFox and I didn't say to hold Alt-e down, I said to press the key combo, then press p and if you do that it FireFox, you will get the desired result. Do it in some other browser, and I don't know what you will get. Not all browsers are created equal.

ThreeDee

Guru
Ok ..and I tried it in Firefox (64-bit Quantum), Chrome, and IE and only stated that I tried both ways .. in 3 browsers and for poops and giggles just right clicked in the beta UI's shell in IE and got a paste option that pasted whatever I copied into the shell.

When someone tells me to do something and says it should work ..and it doesn't for me, then I try variations of what they told me in case that maybe they meant something else because it's not working how I thought they told me to do whatever ..

ah well .. maybe I'll just use IE when playing around with beta UI. I wonder how Edge or Opera does ... hmmmm

Thanks for the suggestions though

danb35

Hall of Famer
no "edit" to paste when working in the shell (well, just says "paste" in old UI).
You don't have an edit menu? In your web browser? I do in mine, and that's what I was referring to, but I'm using a Mac.

Of course, the better answer is to not use the shell button in the web GUI for any but the most trivial tasks, but rather to SSH to your server instead.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Doesn't the new shell support just pasting stuff with CTRL+V?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Doesn't the new shell support just pasting stuff with CTRL+V?
It does for me (well, Command-V, since I'm on a Mac). The fact that the old shell needed a Paste button in the first place just shows how broken it is/was.

ThreeDee

Guru
CTRL+V just gets me a "^V" in the new gui shell (Using Windows 10)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

ThreeDee

Guru
chrome and firefox

ChaosBlades

Contributor
Did a few searches and haven't seen anything on this yet. My CPU Usage seems to be completely broken and has always been on the new GUI only. Is this a known bug?
BuXMGkD.png

kdragon75

Wizard
I know this may go beyond the scope of UI tweaking but I would love to see a tabbed page with all the service logs (even if they are just grep-ed out of the syslog) and as was mentioned a few times in this thread, plotting tasks (crontab and others) onto the graphs in the reporting section. Perhaps even having the option to plot out service logs on the graphs and be able to filter based on log level....

Ok just thinking as I'm writing, A new screen/option on the left nav panel called "Diagnostics" from here three "views"

One. "Reporting" with a few simple options like stacking all disks, stacking network, etc..
Reason: We have it, it's simple for quick monitoring.

Two. A "Timeline" view that will graphicly show all scheduled tasks plotted over selectable graphs that are at least 2/3 of the screen. You could select day, week, month, and year views (have a notice if your looking at weekly and its not showing a monthly task just because some people are dumb like that)
Reason: Help visualize when we are performing tasks so we don't try and run a smart long test at the same time we are scrubbing the pool. Also if we plot this over CUP and/or Disk history we could easily see when is a bad time to scrub, run backups, etc.

Three. "Events" More like reporinting but ONE graph again at least 2/3rds where you can pick and graphable item, scheduled tasks, and log items.
Reason: This general concept has been mentioned at least twice in here. This could be a great troubleshooting tool when we have a log going on on a server and need to identify the cause of performance issues.

Ok maybe the last two could be rolled into one.

Oh and one more thing, Im working via RDP today and all teh animations just make it feel slow and annoying to work with. Sometimes less is more!

Yatti420

Wizard
Map the ups.load \ ups.temperature and maybe battery charge in the reporting section of freenas.. Submitted request way back for this..

kdragon75

Wizard
Map the ups.load \ ups.temperature and maybe battery charge in the reporting section of freenas.. Submitted request way back for this..

I do see a use case for this but I can also guess if the UPS is that critical, it has its own monitoring software/tool set.

Tarakesh

Cadet
I checked out the new UI today on 11.1-U1. What i am missing is a setup for the new Jails. I'm not getting asked where i want the dataset to be generated nor is there any option to change it. Its just beeing generated on the first pool it finds. I'm running a seperate ssd pool for jails on purpose. Please either add a setup before anything can be done to choose on which pool the jails should reside or add a setup menu.

My personal oppinion is that i'm not liking the new UI at all. Too unstructured. Too much "animated" stuff thats not needed. All in all 10 steps back from the old ui and not even close to be "production ready"

kdragon75

Wizard
I checked out the new UI today on 11.1-U1. What i am missing is a setup for the new Jails. I'm not getting asked where i want the dataset to be generated nor is there any option to change it. Its just beeing generated on the first pool it finds. I'm running a separate ssd pool for jails on purpose. Please either add a setup before anything can be done to choose on which pool the jails should reside or add a setup menu.

My personal oppinion is that i'm not liking the new UI at all. Too unstructured. Too much "animated" stuff thats not needed. All in all 10 steps back from the old ui and not even close to be "production ready"
I will agree it's a LONG way from production, however, the new framework will fixing and adding some kinds of functionality much easier going forward. But yeah, lets kill all the toony animations. This isn't my 12yo nieces tablet. Function over form! To that end I was looking at https://redmine.ixsystems.com/projects/freenas/ and it looks like they plan to expose more ZFS settings in the UI. That's something I'm glad to see.

SoftvalMedia

Cadet
Does anyone find the new interface less intuitive? I don't know if it's because it's just a beta but... It's too confuse right now