FreeNAS 11.2 new GUI suggestions and discussion thread

Damianos

iXsystems
iXsystems
In the vm card view I think something like this would be a nice touch of polish. Thinking though this you would just be asked when you created the virtual machine a "type", Windows, Linux, FreeBSD following that clarification of specific version if it matters for the image to be called.

Overall very nice work on the whole UI!

Glad you like it. The plan is to give users the ability to upload their own background image for the cards.

vikozo6

Patron
I think on the first page must be Information if something is wrong.
like a VM or Plugin not running.

I also found out on my FreeNAS11.0 if you remove a disk, there is not Information a disk is missing (one the Frontpage)
I also would like a Information like. 70% use of the Volume will be reached in 600 Days. would not be a rocket Science information but giving a Idea how long there is time to fill the Volume.
This would daily be calculated and after a while it would be more accurate!
have a nice day
vinc

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I see a new column of what I guess is user settable information (see attached) but I don't see a way to populate the column.
It looks interesting. Is this a work in progress? slot.PNG

kdragon75

Wizard
I like the direction the new UI is taking but a few points.

Fonts, pie charts still seem to be using serif fonts. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THE IS NAS, STOPS THE SERIF FONTS! It looks like a cheap chinese knock off product label.

Reporting, This looks nice but lacks some basic usability as Chris Moore pointed out. Perhaps if we could select a time range? Also I would love to see things like all the drives stacked on one chart. Now that Im thinking about it, some like a mash-up of vSphere and pfSense monitoring has would be awesome!

In the service section, the Configure button sites directly on the bottom of the frame. A few pixels of padding would look cleaner (unless you went with square buttons)

On the top, the toggle collapse should be ON the left panel. That way if the panel is hidden I don't see and click a button that has no obvious effect when I have the left panel hidden.

When looking at shares, to add one I have to hover of the yellow circle that spins (shadow spins too!) and then pops out the add button. This spin animation is not see consistently other places and seems unneeded and out of place, Just show me the set of buttons right off the bat.

Im sure I could come up with lots of other things but it's a work in progress.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Fonts, pie charts still seem to be using serif fonts. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THE IS NAS, STOPS THE SERIF FONTS! It looks like a cheap chinese knock off product label.
I can understand Super China Happy Sun Premium Special Font being hated, but that is not a good reason to dismiss all serifed fonts. Somewhere, a font designer is crying over their Wacom Cintiq or Surface because their work is being lumped in with the abomination that is the Chinese font.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Suggestion on the new GUI. When creating a new jail and downloading a jail template, instead of just a spinny circle endlessly spinning a download progress indicator would be helpful. I know it may be a windows conditioning thing but an endlessly spinning circle without any indication of progress looks like a hung process.

Jacopx

Patron
Please add the possibility to hide/show the various panel in the reporting sections, with big system it's a mess! ;)

P.S. I really like the new GUI <3

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
To get the attached image, I had to make my browser window full screen with f11, where there isn't even a border to the window. I want to be able to see all this when it isn't full screen. Can't the graphs scale instead of just disappearing?
Also, they don't appear to update. Are they meant to be static? EmNAS.PNG

Alecmascot

Guru
I had my first go at creating an iocage jail in 11.1-release today via the new gui.
I have to say that it was a painful experience compared to the old warden setting up.

There needs to be a more structured offering of the myriad of options, with the ones needed to create a simple functioning jail grouped together. Then the more detailed settings can be grouped logically by function and available in a hierarchical way.
I ended up revering to the cli to create a simple jail after searching this forum.

Also the method of mounting storage is somewhat convoluted. I realise we have to use the iocage api but the intricacies of this can be hidden from the "normal" user. I really do not want to have to edit fstab......

In general the new gui uses too much space in an unproductive way. See the display of Services as a for-instance.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I ended up revering to the cli to create a simple jail after searching this forum.

Also the method of mounting storage is somewhat convoluted. I realise we have to use the iocage api but the intricacies of this can be hidden from the "normal" user. I really do not want to have to edit fstab......
You should submit a ticket, because you absolutely should not be doing it from the CLI.

zizzithefox

Dabbler
Hello guys, as a long term FreeNAS user, I would like to point out some aspects about the new UI.

First of all, I've always liked the current old interface because some parts were very well designed and functional. I.e. the QNAP GUI is a usability mess created just to show off some fancy graphical effects. I think anybody wanting that kind of interaction has serious mental problems.

That said, I find the new gui retains the same general structure and is simpler. Some things may require more clicks, so what? I can cope with that, no big time. Anybody using FreeNAS should be OK with that as it is not a storage system for "dummies" like QNAP is.

THERE IS ONE THING that you should address and I believe is paramount to the usability of the new ui. FreeNAS is about storage right? FreeNAS is based on ZFS that let's you create nested file systems right (datasets), that is a hierarchy right?

Well, in my experience as a programmer and IT manager, when you have to deal with a tree the only way to do it from HCI point of view is by displaying a tree. Please, use a tree to display the pool, volume, dataset structure.

Sorry guys, but the current volume view is absolute crap if compared with the old one. At this point the cli is way, way better.

Problem is, as you know, you should not manage ZFS by issuing commands in the cli but the new ui is too raw to the point that I believe it could be even dangerous to use. Please, please, please make something like the old one. It's a storage system... Volume management should be your first concern, guys...

Last edited by a moderator:

bodriye

Explorer
Can we get rid of this left side bar click-to-expand. I would much rather have main categories on the left side and then have subcategories show up on a top bar.
Capture.PNG

kdragon75

Wizard
On the Volumes screen, It says I have two pages of volumes even if I select 100 per page at least until I sort the list then they all show up and the page number menu disappears. Also I see that all of my "data" pool volumes are listed as data\iscsi etc. but there is no apparent nesting. See screenshots for details.
old.JPG
new.JPG

I also just noticed on the new screenshot, the Used column only shows the "%" on the first row but not the subsequent rows.

kdragon75

Wizard
I can understand Super China Happy Sun Premium Special Font being hated, but that is not a good reason to dismiss all serifed fonts. Somewhere, a font designer is crying over their Wacom Cintiq or Surface because their work is being lumped in with the abomination that is the Chinese font.
To be fair, there are many beautiful serif fonts. I understand using a different font or color to do hint some meaning (think hyperlinks being blue, then red once clicked... wow I feel old now.). My biggest issue is with the lack of aesthetic consistency and using that particular font seems to break with the rest of the UI aethstetic.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It's a storage system... Volume management should be your first concern, guys...
Please don't think I am arguing, I agree, they appear to be trying to make it pretty at the expense of functionality and rational design.
Last time I looked at the new UI, I couldn't even find the disks. Must be hidden away under some sub-menu that I have not explored yet.
For a storage system, looking at the disks, and the health of those disks, should be made easy, not hidden.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This is just to reassure everyone that the new GUI is targeted for feature-completeness for FreeNAS 11.2.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Vidoq

Cadet
Hello Guys,

it seems to me that the German language for the new GUI is still in translation. I would like to offer help for translation or review of English/German language tanslation, if this is needed by the developers. Is there a way to support the language activities?

Greetings

Xelas

Explorer
I think it would be great if there was place in the UI where you could see all of the scheduled maintenance tasks on one screen - all of the scrubs, short smart tests, long smart tests, and any replication. In the old UI, these were scattered all over the place, and in the new UI, it looks like these will be split among several tabs. I'm trying to re-schedule all of these, and trying to do that so that don't happen to run at the same time and clobber each other, or even to review what IS scheduled, is a PITA.

My suggestion would be to just list the scheduled maintenance jobs in a table. There seems to be a framework of sorts for "other" cron jobs, but nothing that shows any of the pre-canned jobs. You can make a drop-down to filter which maintenance jobs to show "scrubs, Smart: Short, Smart: Long, etc) to help prune the view down for those who have a lot of jobs scheduled and deal with very large arrays. Making the "category" item in the table a link to the page where that category gets scheduled (for example, if you had:
Code:
CATEGORY			 DISKS						DAY				TIME				 ACTIVE: Y/N
Scrub			 da1, da2, da3			 Every 1st, 15th		  0200				   Y
SMART:LONG		da1, da2, da3			 Every 2nd, 16h		   0200				   Y

... clicking on "Scrub" would take you to the "Scrubs" tab for managing Scrubs.

I'm also not loving the "Services" view. I don't see why each service has to be on its own gigantic card - I think the old tabular view was pretty well done and simple in terms of layout. This horse has been beaten fairly well on this thread, but the information density is very, very poor - there is WAY too much scrolling and moving the mouse around.

Under reporting, it would be great if there were a way to filter the views. I have a very modest 8-disks that FreeNAS manages, and that's 40-odd cards, each taking up 1/3rd of the screen. I cannot imagine how annoying it would be to deal with larger NAS appliances with many more disks.
I think a better approach would be to combine the 4 stats/disk onto one card per disk, make the graphs a bit smaller, and combine the read and write stats into one graph instead of a top/bottom view. There is so much whitespace there now that the graphs wouldn't be THAT much smaller if they were clustered a little bit tighter. In addition to that, I would also welcome a way to filter (perhaps with a list of checkboxes?) and/or to have a way to collapse/expand cards.