FreeNAS 11.1 Delay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It should be clear by tomorrow or the day after. A bunch of nasty issues popped up in RC1, then RC2 was generally very broken, then people had trouble updating to RC3. Let's see how this goes.

Zwck

Patron
Will there also be a update train that is recommended to update to? I am genuinely confused between
- pre-release, nightly,nightly sdk, FreeNAS head nightly. :D Also I hear people updating to RC3 which I do not even know how/where to find.

joeschmuck

Old Man
How likely is it that 11.1 is released on December 11, 2017? I have a machine I need to build and have in production by about the middle of January with a little testing needed on some shares and hoping to get 11.1 on this machine. Else I'll be stuck on 11.0 for some length of time.

I've seen the date change a few times, and it looks like most of the bugs have been fixed, so I thought it was worth asking.
Don't hold your breath. Also I don't think I'd place 11.1 on a production machine without a good testing for a month or so as a test platform just to ensure it all works properly.

Stuck with 11.0-U4 isn't a bad thing.

Greg_E

Explorer
11.1rc1 seems to be doing everything I need right now, it's just a pretty simple file share with Windows clients. That said I haven't joined it to the domain yet, that could be a whole other issue with permissions and mapping shares.

I am reserving the right to put Windows on this server, but trying to get away from it to keep our license count down.

m0nkey_

MVP
11.1rc1 seems to be doing everything I need right now, it's just a pretty simple file share with Windows clients. That said I haven't joined it to the domain yet, that could be a whole other issue with permissions and mapping shares.

I am reserving the right to put Windows on this server, but trying to get away from it to keep our license count down.
RC1 has a huge pool destroying bug. You may want to be careful with it, or at least have good backups. If you're running in production, recommend you roll back to 11.0-U4.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

hervon

Patron
Upgrade to RC3 works now. Doing it now..

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes, RC3 was pushed with a fixed signature and should now work.

hervon

Patron
Upgrade went fine. Jails (minidlna, urbackup, transmission) work. I'm a happy camper. Thanks ixsystems for this great free OS!

Zwck

Patron
updating as well :D

EDIT:
worked like a charm

Last edited:

Greg_E

Explorer
Mine is updating as well. But I did encounter something... I first tried to update from the command line menu on the local machine (option 10) and it could not find the website. I then logged in through a browser and went to system --> update and told it to go... Downloaded and started the install without issue. I have another question but will ask in a support section since that where it will be mostly correct.

Greg_E

Explorer
OK, mine didn't upgrade properly! Not sure if this should go in as a bug, but the old style GUI is broken. Tried three different browsers on two different computers and attached is what I see on all of them.

The new GUI seems to work. Going to do a fresh config backup and try a clean install on a new drive.

[edit] Saw a bug listed that said creating a VM wrecked the "classic" UI, since I had a VM running I wonder if this cause my UI issue. Maybe there is more broken with the VM function and cause my new UI issues below.

Attachments

• freenas_gui.PNG
    freenas_gui.PNG
    27.5 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:

Greg_E

Explorer
Redmine is acting strange right now, can't post this on there so here goes:

Several things did not work in the new GUI after the above upgrade, even shutdown didn't really shut it down.

Did a clean install of 11.1rc3 on a fresh flash drive and the first thing I couldn't do is get my LACP aggregation working again (from the local text menu). Giving up on RC and Beta because I just don't know enough BSD to be helpful, going back to 11.0u4.

Zwck

Patron
OK, mine didn't upgrade properly! Not sure if this should go in as a bug, but the old style GUI is broken. Tried three different browsers on two different computers and attached is what I see on all of them.

The new GUI seems to work. Going to do a fresh config backup and try a clean install on a new drive.

[edit] Saw a bug listed that said creating a VM wrecked the "classic" UI, since I had a VM running I wonder if this cause my UI issue. Maybe there is more broken with the VM function and cause my new UI issues below.
crtl+shift+f5

MysticCobra

Cadet
FWIW, I'm seeing the same thing on 11.0-U2 using Chrome (v62.0.3202.94) or Edge (v40.15063.674.0) every time I open a new instance of the GUI. Clicking on the FreeNAS logo in the upper-left of the window takes me "home" (to the System Information GUI tab).

In Edge, the GUI works as expected from then on in that tab or any new tab I open. In Chrome, the GUI works as expected from then on in that tab, but the anomalous behavior recurs any time I try to open a new instance in a different tab or browser window.

When using IE (v11.726.15063.0), the GUI comes up normally, every time.

Edit: Just updated to -U4 and still seeing same behavior. When I have the problem, as an alternative to clicking the FreeNAS logo, clicking the reload icon in the browser (or pressing F5) also gets the GUI to come up normally. However, if I then put the cursor up in the address bar and hit enter (which you'd think would be the same as clicking the reload icon), I get the anomalous version of the GUI again. <shrug>

Last edited by a moderator:

WrlsFanatic

Dabbler
Sooo coming today or?
Based on the last few releases, they'll update with a new date tomorrow that is two weeks away. There are 5 open issues. No way they both get them fixed AND test them today.

Greg_E

Explorer
Edit: Just updated to -U4 and still seeing same behavior. When I have the problem, as an alternative to clicking the FreeNAS logo, clicking the reload icon in the browser (or pressing F5) also gets the GUI to come up normally. However, if I then put the cursor up in the address bar and hit enter (which you'd think would be the same as clicking the reload icon), I get the anomalous version of the GUI again. <shrug>

Yeah, me too with 11u4, except Chrome never gives me the full web page. Wondering if something is blocking it in an ad blocker. I'm just going to work with 11.0 until the release for 11.1 is out and not worry about being that far ahead. There are some oddities in 11u4 that I know are fixed in 11.1RC1 that will certainly push me to upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.