FreeNAS 11.1 Delay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Rather wait for a good version than have another Corral on our hands, Kris can take all the time in the world, they have a reputation to rebuild. (The forums have been dead ever since the Corral Fiasco)

IceBoosteR

Guru

horizonbrave

Explorer
I think that the lack of forum activity might reflect the lack of updates in the recent past, so I guess everyone might be happy and running their systems without many issues.. while others, like me, are silently waiting for 11.1 for jumping on the FreeNAS wagon before start pestering the forum :)
Despite the Coral fiasco I'd like to think that the project reputation could not be much affected, considering there's not many free alternatives out there (as polished as FreeNAS) and also that the change of plan have been honestly (and boldly) communicated.

On a side note on "communication" I have to admit that I was surprised to not see regular (at least monthly) news/articles in the blog section of the site (that I guess gets monitored by many of us). I think that's not just a way to keep the attention level high but also to keep us informed or feel like the project is not stale (or are you maybe planning to use the "surprise effect"?). Even if there's not much to communicate imho would be nice to have an heads up just saying "there's not much to communicate and here's why".

I also confess a little disappointment feeling when this month 2 new articles showed on the blog and were "retro-dated" August 10 and July 13 without any explanation.. or was maybe just a glitch?

In conclusion, please consider that I'm going just to be an new user soon so my opinion is just from an enthusiastic long time lurker who forgot to compliment everyone for they efforts, including the help and high level communication in this forum.

Cheers

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

danb35

Hall of Famer
The forums have been dead ever since the Corral Fiasco
Which forums are you looking at? Because the ones I follow here are pretty active.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Which forums are you looking at? Because the ones I follow here are pretty active.
You're kidding yourself, a tiny handful of you guys keep claiming this (I see the thanks there Eric) - the forums are vastly slower than they were a year ago.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You're kidding yourself, a tiny handful of you guys keep claiming this (I see the thanks there Eric) - the forums are vastly slower than they were a year ago.
Which generally indicates things are going well. This is a support forum you know......

danb35

Hall of Famer
a tiny handful of you guys keep claiming this
As opposed to the vast majority of you (all--what--two or three of you) who keep claiming it's dead around here, I guess.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Which generally indicates things are going well. This is a support forum you know......

There was good discussion and excitement about corral, JKH managed to whip everyone into looking forward to it.
It's not these guys fault though, they're doing their best, I'm hoping 11 (or 12) eventually does all that 10 promised, without being rubbish (like 10 was)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
As I recall, the discussions were mostly "X doesn't work" "X will be in Beta 2" "We are in Beta 2" "X will be in RELEASE", with X not being released at all. Hardly what I'd call productive.

diskdiddler

Wizard
As I recall, the discussions were mostly "X doesn't work" "X will be in Beta 2" "We are in Beta 2" "X will be in RELEASE", with X not being released at all. Hardly what I'd call productive.
Anyhow, let's hope things improve at the end of the day. 11 is late - but it is reliable, so that's a great start.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes, I think we can all agree that development is following sane procedures now, which is a very welcome improvement.

Stux

MVP
I follow those tickets and one of them I created. There's not much activity on them, considering how long ago they were created. I know the devs are busy but a little post once in a while on where things are headed would be nice. I sometimes wonder if those tickets will be canned.

Well, I'm happy that a bunch of tickets/features that I've put in an requested seem to have been closed off in the Beta... so looking forward to that :)

gpsguy

One thing that was sorely lacking in Corral was documentation.

Kudos to @dlavigne and @wblock for their continued work on the 11.x docs. I watch the commits on a daily basis and see that they've been very busy updating it for 11.1-BETA1. I will build a PDF this weekend, so I/we can study it.

gpsguy, please make sure you post a link here. This will be my first jump into FreeNAS, and I will need all of the documentation I can get my hands and eyes on. I am waiting for a good stable 11.1 to take the plunge.

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
This will be my first jump into freeNAS, and I will need all of the documentation I can gat my hands and eyes on
What @gpsguy does is to generate PDFs of the existing docs. Useful, to be sure, but he isn't creating new documentation with that.

Okay. Thank you for that update. PDFs are easier for me to carry around in my pocket on a USB drive, hence my interest. For me, that is useful because I am all over the place here in town at work, and whenever I can, I can plug a drive in and read when and where I am.

gpsguy

If you want to see the commits that have made to the docs, you can view them here: https://github.com/freenas/freenas-docs/commits/master

I generated PDF/ePUB versions of the 11.1-beta1 docs this morning and posted them on the URL in my signature, ie: http://freenas.2trux.com/

As @danb35 said, these are the official iXsystems docs. Since I also prefer PDF over HTML, I build them from their source and offer them to the community as a convenience.

PDFs are easier for me to carry around ...

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
I don't agree at all with your assertion that the forums are dead @diskdiddler. What you're saying just doesn't line up at all with the information in the backend I look at frequently. You probably saw the huge boost and influx of people when corral was released. We had somewhere around a 250% increase in active users over March of last year. An active user is classified as someone who makes an account on the FreeNAS forums, posts, has conversations etc. That influx of new active users quickly dissipated after Corral was canned because the number of support questions went back down to normal. We're back to between 10-15 % month over month traffic from last year which is normal for every month except for March. You only see a small percentage of the people that are visiting the forums as active users. We have hundreds and thousands of people visiting every month that are just looking for information and don't create an account.

I'd sincerely appreciate if you'd reconsider spreading this kind of information. Your statement was very general and frankly incorrect.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'd sincerely appreciate if you'd reconsider spreading this kind of information.
Oh, you're just part of the tiny handful of people who keep claiming this.

Status
Not open for further replies.