FreeNAS 11.1 Delay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigzaj

Explorer
First, just want to thank everyone who works on developing FreeNAS, I'm still learning but very glad to have this available to me.

I was initially a Corral user and learned FreeNAS through that path. Now I'm trying to jump to FreeNAS 11 and working on learning jails, etc. I got used to following the bug tracker during build up to Corral. It appears as if there is quite a long way to go to make August 1 for FN 11.1 and perhaps some issues with Docker support.

I've read a few comments here and there to expect it more like October? Any chance of getting an updated release date?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Software is hard to track with dates. When it's done it's done. Only way to change that is to cut scope. So watch the bug tracker for updates.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

joeschmuck

Old Man
When you look at the roadmap you can see that there is also 11.0-U2 (looks like it's complete) and 11.0-U3 planned. Not sure if these will be released before 11.1 comes out but I would expect so.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The roadmap (https://bugs.freenas.org/projects/freenas/roadmap) does not appear to be maintained. Of course 229 open tickets will not be completed until August 1. I would not expect that all these tickets remain on 11.1 if this version should be released before the end of this year.
It's maintained, that's the accurate status. And clearly Aug. 1st will not happen.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Tim1962

Patron
I want 11.1/Docker done when its done, but are we likely to see the roadmap dates revised now 1st Aug is upon us, or some announcement of the progress made to date?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Watch the bug tracker if you want to see how progress is going.

Tim1962

Patron
Without being adversarial then does that mean 11.1 is out today? As a user rather than developer I'm not really able to "read" the bug fix progress;)

gpsguy

Without being adversarial then does that mean 11.1 is out today?

Nope. It won't ship until iXsystems decides it's ready. My guess would be a couple of months.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Without being adversarial then does that mean 11.1 is out today? As a user rather than developer I'm not really able to "read" the bug fix progress;)
Sure you can. Check and see how many bugs are still open for a related release. When they get down to zero then guess what? It's real close to release time. ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There will be an announcement in the coming days regarding the Docker roadmap.

joeschmuck

Old Man
If you look here: https://bugs.freenas.org/projects/freenas/roadmap
You will be able to see how many bug reports and/or feature requests are slated for a specific version of FreeNAS and how many are open or closed. Additionally the initial desired date to have it released is listed. These dates do get updated periodically but as you can see, 11.1 is not going to be released today. You are in the same boat as the majority of us and I just check the roadmap periodically.

There will be an announcement in the coming days regarding the Docker roadmap.
That is good news.

And just a side note, all the bugs listed for 11.1 will not be fixed when it is released. Some are bugs that were actually posed when 9.3 was the latest version. A good chunk of them are fixed and an update gets released why the Dev's are happy with where it is at. It COULD be released today or tomorrow or next month it just depends on what stuff absolutely needs to be done before it can ship.

joeschmuck

Old Man
But you know what, I really like free software and even better is good free software like FreeNAS. It does everything I could ever ask of it and just keeps working.

Lady Gaia

Dabbler
While I'm looking forward to Docker support I am incredibly grateful that iXsystems has reverted to a stable foundation and is focused on incremental progress. Updating to 11.0-U2 from 10.x was pretty seamless and I know there's good work coming. There's even transparency about what's being evaluated and due caution about promising specific features and release dates.

It's true that it helps to have a background in software engineering to interpret the roadmap since it's a living entity that describes aspirations rather than marketing-scrubbed commitments, but it's also not a bad way to learn about what actually happens during software development. Features get cut. Dates shift. All else is smoke and mirrors to a large extent.

n3IVI0

Dabbler
I finally bit the bullet and switched from Corral to 11.0-U2. I knew it was going to hurt, like tearing off a limb. You see, I REALLY liked Docker, and jumped from version 9 to 10 in order to get it because Docker is awesome. Plugins work, but they make you suffer to get what you want, like wishes made with the monkey's paw. Docker is almost as painless as installing an app, and was, at least with Corral, way easier to configure. Anyway, I'm on 11 now, and everything is FINALLY back to normal. I was apprehensive about my data, but all my volumes imported without issues. Now in the holding pattern with everybody else waiting for 11.1 and the glorious return of Docker...

If you REALLY have to have docker then install a Linux VM with Docker. I think someone even has a tutorial for installing and setting up rancherOS.

Zwck

Patron
Tried it. Didn't work. The plugins are fine for now.
of course they work, setup a ubuntu system + docker machine and you're good to go. (all from the vm menu)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.